OKAY, now it's my turn to ask a question

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, the ol' HB is crazy lucky, and is gonna get hitched.

SO, the deal is, I need to know what is this "apostillar" stuff.

When I got married a long time ago we did not ahve any of this, so I am lost.

Where is this done? Can it be done here in the DR at the U.S. Consulate? Does it have to be done
in the issuing state??

Need help here guys...

HB

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
No idea what is it you are asking about, but just wanted to say congratulations, always like to hear a happy story...

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Unfortunately, it has to be done in the issuing state. The actual apostille is usually around ten dollars, but if you go through an expediting service, it can be a lot more expensive.

Do you need anything more than a birth certificate? Depending on the state, you might be able to request it online and have it sent to someone who can forward it to the state for apostille.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You will need to get an original, certified copy of your birth certificate from the state where you were born. Then you have to mail that certificate to have an apostile on it - assuring it is "real", usually that is done at the capitol city of the state where you were born. If you google "Apostile" along with the name of your state, you should find all the info and a downloadable form.

Best of luck to you, it seems lightening does strike twice, my congrats!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Where is BronxBoy when we need him...??

I hear those church bells ringin' , will you marry me ??

OR

instead of - Bill, won't you marry me....

It's now
Hill, won't you marry me........

felicidades

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Where is this done? Can it be done here in the DR at the U.S. Consulate? Does it have to be done
in the issuing state??

Need help here guys...

HB

Did you follow Hillbilly's rules? ;)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Congrats Luis!!!

My wedding will be August 20th in Las Mercedes, ZC. Candy will be my witness. If you like you can marry same day there and we can split costs :bunny:

Jan 9, 2004

in the issuing state??

Need help here guys...

HB

1. Certified copy of your birth certificate from either your city or county clerk in your state of birth; then
2. Forward to your Secretary of State's office, along with the appropriate fee, for the actual Apostille.

It cannot be done in the DR.

If you need it soon and can get it all done by June 24, PM me. I will be in Santiago the end of the month.

Good Luck and Congrats.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Your question has been answered by AE so all that's left is; Congrats Hillbilly! Wish you and your new spouse years of happiness together..

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Wow, much good luck and congratulations. Sounds like the procedure is similar to getting first time residency. I needed a certified birth certificate (could order through mail), then sent that to the Secretary of State (also through the mail). So probably would only need someone to bring it or courier it to you once in hand.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's either apostille or the whole deal of legalizing in foreig affairs in your country, Dominican consulate in your country, foreign affairs in DR. If you have a birth certificate that is legalized the old way from before DR was part of the La Haya convention, it should be still fine.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

in the issuing state??

Need help here guys...

HB

When you order up your birth certificate and any other documents that need apostiling you mark on the internet page that you need the apostille and the fee including apostile will show, when it arrives it will probably need translating also, but that is to be done locally.
Der Fish

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
Greetings, does all documents have to be aposillized or is it just the spanish translated ones

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I said I was blessed with luck.
Since I come from a state were DNA results can't hold up in court (West Virginia), I have a cousin who works 5 minutes from the
Secretary of State where the apostille will be done in like 15 minutes.
Yes, it is $10.00
No, you translate the English (or whatever language) into Spanish, with a Judicial Translator,
Yes, Frank, I followed my Three Golden Rules: She is a Doctor, had a visa, is sort of an heiress.

I certainly appreciate this help people, all y'all been a help, for sure.

Much obliged,

HB

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
HB does this sound right my birth certificate is British but I reside in NY, should I send my BC to the Embassy to have it aposillized and then when I get it back have it translated