Page 11 of 367 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

As a tourist, I really liked the street closed to pedestrians at night.

But it didn't really surprise me that it didn't last. Sosua seems to be a tourist town without a plan.

It says it wants tourists but only certain kinds of tourists. It says it wants the things that tourist like but the moment they inconvenience some locals they get rid of it. They say they want a safe environment for tourists but some locals tolerate known thieves.

It seems to me that tourist towns all over the world benefit from a walking street.

2. Likes windeguy, oriole100, Billp, Harleysrock, jd426 and 2 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i really do not get this approach of a moral cleanup before literal one, so to speak. isn't it more important to fix the infrastructure first before trying to curb the whore hunters international community? clean, functioning city is a better place to live for everyone and is attractive to tourists on its own.

4. Likes Expat13, frank12, Harleysrock, oriole100, Uzin liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i really do not get this approach of a moral cleanup before literal one, so to speak. isn't it more important to fix the infrastructure first before trying to curb the whore hunters international community? clean, functioning city is a better place to live for everyone and is attractive to tourists on its own.
    I agree with all the broken sidewalks these days. "Fill the holes" before worrying about tourist "filling the whores"

6. Likes CristoRey liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rustxko View Post
    As a tourist, I really liked the street closed to pedestrians at night.

But it didn't really surprise me that it didn't last. Sosua seems to be a tourist town without a plan.

It says it wants tourists but only certain kinds of tourists. It says it wants the things that tourist like but the moment they inconvenience some locals they get rid of it. They say they want a safe environment for tourists but some locals tolerate known thieves.

It seems to me that tourist towns all over the world benefit from a walking street.
    I thunk the street was open to pedestrians at night, but closed to cars for which it was built. WHy a few businesses should be favored and the public be given the finger I don't understand.
    Der Fish

8. Likes Uzin liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol. You're right. I meant closed "for" pedestrians. On the phone, my thumbs and brain aren't always in sync.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    PUERTO PLATA – The business and hotel sector of the municipality of Sosúa, reported that this destination of the North Coast was abandoned long ago
    that seems to be a correct statement of facts. The fact they don't mention is that the decision to 'abandon' the NC for Punta Cana was the correct one. PC airport is the busiest airport allover the Carribean, so while goverments typically don't get a lot things right, this they did.

It's amazing how they (=NC Tourism) cling on to the past. The sooner they accept, that the NC will never become a prime tourist location for the regular vacationer, the sooner they can find a (niche) concept that works.

11. Likes pauleast liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    I know for a FACT that PC was practically EMPTY, when the street was closed to traffic..
    I can't really remember the details, but were there any provisions for people who come by car where to park?

Both sides of PC are typically full of parking cars and it's not like there is tons of free parking space nearby.

Not sure about the impact, given that Tourists will take Motos most likely, but especially Charlie P's and this area is frequented by locals, that might have had an impact.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    I agree with all the broken sidewalks these days. "Fill the holes" before worrying about tourist "filling the whores"
    We have very nice sidewalks now.Let's see some good side..

Now if they would just get them finished......

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NY-DR Commuter View Post
    Sure it did. The Dominicans visiting could now watch concerts by local bands that were to be scheduled every month. Dominicans visiting could take their children to watch movies that were being shown on certain Saturday nights. Dominican couples or singles could have dinner at good restaurants like Brittannia Pub and dine "open air" on the street comfortably.

Even Dominicans who just wanted to get drunk and pick up women "outdoors" could go sit out by Rumba and El Flow and see what's on the menu.

Except for some motoconcho drivers who couldn't be inconvenienced by having to park around the corner and the guys selling drugs in the abandoned "El Toro/Latin" disco and some Dominican business owners whose business model dated back to 1980, you are correct, it did not benefit that small minority.

However, MOST Dominicans who visited the area certainly benefited, and many of them mentioned it to me.

Yes that is your HO, NOT MOST PEOPLE's

It certainly isn't mine, and I was there all of the time.
    I am only telling you what my Dominican family and friends were telling me. I understand it was better for Dominicans and expats with money.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

How is the sidewalk on the "highway" at the top of the beach going? It is the first step to condos being built on the beach. It should be a high priority.

Page 11 of 367 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast