Page 362 of 367 FirstFirst ... 262312352360361362363364 ... LastLast
Results 3,611 to 3,620 of 3664
    No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

But at least Willy is running for mayor again, can Derumbas be resurrected ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

It is true that the President of the DR is a lame duck barring a change in the constitution, but I was aware of no term limits on mayors. I suppose Willie could win. Time will tell.

If Willie wins he might be able to "put the candle back".. Keep in mind that the vast majority of Dominicans want to erase the stigma of Sosua's ill repute. Those words "family tourism" are indicative of that desire.

3. Likes Timotero liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sosua will become a family destination around the same time as Detroit.
    Ain't no family going to vacation in Sosua except maybe the Osbourne's.

5. Likes JDJones, jd426 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    It is far more likely that Sosua will continue to grow as an Expat location. The constant building and selling of houses by Casa Linda, Sosua Ocean Village and other expat attracting locations are what make me think that. Time will tell. I see a slow change.

7. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Say what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touris...olitan_Detroit

"Tourism in metropolitan Detroit, Michigan is a significant factor for the region's culture and for its economy, comprising nine percent of the area's two million jobs.[1] About 15.9 million people visit Metro Detroit annually, spending an estimated $4.8 billion."

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean Bobby and Suzy from Ohio wont be going through Kayak and asking each other
    " Honey ,what you think, Punta Cana AI or Sosua this year ?? .. I heard so many nice things from my friend at work about Sosua , ,lots of things for the Kids to do.. A safe Beach , and the Shopping on Pedro Clisante is just so much fun, and the Restaurants & nightlife are just amazing "...

10. Likes Big, Seamonkey, JDJones, BermudaRum liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    Say what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touris...olitan_Detroit

"Tourism in metropolitan Detroit, Michigan is a significant factor for the region's culture and for its economy, comprising nine percent of the area's two million jobs.[1] About 15.9 million people visit Metro Detroit annually, spending an estimated $4.8 billion."
    Yeah, I will family vacay in Detroit right after Afaganistan. Love me sum Sosua but not with a family.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    It is far more likely that Sosua will continue to grow as an Expat location. The constant building and selling of houses by Casa Linda, Sosua Ocean Village and other expat attracting locations are what make me think that. Time will tell. I see a slow change.
    Agreed, the metamorphosis is happening, albeit at a slow pace, but definitely not gonna go backwards. I think at this point in time, the "resurrection" of Sosua is actually beyond Ilana, and even if Willy gets in next time around, those in many levels of Gov. are going to push for the track it's already on.

I'm still QUITE curious how the Chinese thing will play out, how much "sculpting" they will do within the town. If they keep the pace at which they are coming into Sosua, buying and creating businesses, it might be surprising how it changes from a Gringo winter retreat/retirement place, to little Hong Kong.

13. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuillermoRamon View Post
    Agreed, the metamorphosis is happening, albeit at a slow pace, but definitely not gonna go backwards. I think at this point in time, the "resurrection" of Sosua is actually beyond Ilana, and even if Willy gets in next time around, those in many levels of Gov. are going to push for the track it's already on.

I'm still QUITE curious how the Chinese thing will play out, how much "sculpting" they will do within the town. If they keep the pace at which they are coming into Sosua, buying and creating businesses, it might be surprising how it changes from a Gringo winter retreat/retirement place, to little Hong Kong.
    Yes, its a new track, yes Sosua has gone through some nice " window dressing"... agreed in all points.

but Logically and Factually , SINCE the DR can not get rid of corruption, they can not get rid of drugs , they can not get rid of Crime .. Heck we are even seeing even more murders & Violent crimes against Gringos , which used to be a big no no.
    The Govt has been very in effective on all of those Fronts ... they cant even fix a Sidewalk or solve the flooding problems ..

How in the world could they possible stop Poor Chicas willing to have sex for money ?

The Game will just change but it will still be the same game
    . its a mathematical impossibility for the Govt of the DR to stop Girls from selling themselves to Eager Foreigners who have money in their pockets ..
    and therefore SOSUA will ALWAYS be a " meeting place" where this Transaction will take place, either on the street ,or behind walls .

All they care about is appearances .. thats it ..
    imo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have indeed noticed recent changes in Sosua. Less Haitian chicas and more woman from Santiago. The crowds also appear to be a tad bit more orderly. Not as many stumbling drunks.

16. Likes jd426 liked this post