A lot of businesses closed in Sosua

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The bar opposite Bailey's in Sosua has been pulled down along with the row of gift shops next to it. I heard that this was a due to a court order as the tennants had not been paying rent for years. Also heard that a plaza will be built on this property. Los Gringos in Sosua and their chain of restaurants in Cabarete including Lazy Dog have closed, they say it is for vacations but makes no sense to close them all down. Morua Mai is closed, hopefully just for vacations though, would not like to see that place close down. The old La Roca building has had some movement over the last week of so, not sure whether this was an order by the authorities because of fire hazards though. Anybody got any info on any of these businesses?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It's the low point of the season. The NC is usually pretty dead right after Memorial Day, and weekends notwithstanding, doesn't really start to pick back up until early September, with things getting back to business in November.

Alexandra's done nicely for many years, I imagine you'll see Morua Moi open again soon.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
The bar opposite Bailey's in Sosua has been pulled down along with the row of gift shops next to it. I heard that this was a due to a court order as the tennants had not been paying rent for years. Also heard that a plaza will be built on this property. Los Gringos in Sosua and their chain of restaurants in Cabarete including Lazy Dog have closed, they say it is for vacations but makes no sense to close them all down. Morua Mai is closed, hopefully just for vacations though, would not like to see that place close down. The old La Roca building has had some movement over the last week of so, not sure whether this was an order by the authorities because of fire hazards though. Anybody got any info on any of these businesses?

Closing a business down temporally makes sense if your not being profitable during said time period....and since this is a super slow and quiet time for tourists it makes sense to me as these businesses are generally frequented by tourists ( or winter ex-pats ).

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
They came to the end of their contract and they had not paid rent in forever. No great loss.

Oct 11, 2010

The property across from Bailey's was sold a while ago, the owners will be constructing a new plaza in that spot.

Los Gringos IS on vacation, someone was there painting the railings out front yesterday.

Morua Mai re-opened yesterday, Raphael and Alexandra took a well deserved vacation.

The old La Roca is scheduled for demolition, ordered by the Sos?a Fire Dept., possibly starting today.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Sure hope those iconic doors on La Roca have been saved to preserve the history of the original warehouse.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There is an exclusive article in Hoy today in which the 'tourist sector' of Sosua denounces the government for lack of investment in the area. Those representatives go on to demand that the town is restored as a family holiday destination with the removal of prostitution.

http://hoy.com.do/sector-turistico-de-sosua-denuncia-el-gobierno-olvida-obras-prometidas/

Web translation for those interested.

Sosua, Puerto Plata.- Hospitality of this tourist destination of North Coast feels abandoned by the Government, because the works promised to no one knows when to start, and others that are running it is unknown when it will be completed.

The complaint that most often heard on the part of tourist representatives is that with the official sector "we have not had the luck of other destinations, where the governmental hand has been felt generously in regards to the construction of economic and social development".

Representatives of the Asociaci?n de Desarrollo de Cabarete (ADECA), Association of hotels and restaurants Sosua-Cabarete (Ashoresoca) and the Association for the sustainable development of Sos?a (ADSS) listed in a document delivered last May 24 President Danilo Medina the five priority projects for the development of both communities.

Among these works are cited the construction of the project of vendors on the beach of this village square; the construction of the public hospital to Sosua and Cabarete. the renovation of the Centre of the tourist district of Cabarete, and the completion of the plant of treatment of residual waters to both poles.

Also included is a frontal attack against prostitution which affects Sosua, which has overflowed.

The directors of the ADSS, Andr?s G. Pastoriza, Loli Polanco Esca?o and David Ferreiras Jim?nez, and Humberto Pichardo, Ashoresoca, agreed that the execution of these works are necessary to boost the tourist revival of "our communities, attract tourists and investors, encourage the reopening of currently closed hotels and the construction of new plants of this genus".

In addition they said, in an exclusive interview for today, that these actions are essential to boost the economy of this region, creating new centres of work and contribute our share in the growth in the arrival of more tourists.

The tourism entrepreneurs raise that efforts in recent times by the Government and the Ministry of tourism, including the private sector in Sosua-Cabarete, "have not been sufficient to relaunch tourism in these communities to recover from the drastic decline in almost 50% suffered in the arrival of foreign passengers in the last decade".

Prostitution. Pastoriza recalls that in the past, Sosua was a destination for family tourism, but in the last 15 years, this has changed drastically, because prostitution "us clothes so urgent that we rescue which in the past helped us support economically through a completely healthy activity and not contaminated as currently happens".

He said that it is necessary that order and to relocate to the prostitutes so Sosua regain its family tourism.

According to data provided by hoteliers, thousands of sex workers offer services in the sector of El Batey, and most are of Haitian nationality.

Among the Dominicans a large part comes from Santiago, Navarrete, Licey medium, Boca Chica, San Crist?bal, La Vega and Bonao, which arrive in buses to install especially in the calle Pedro Clisante to offer afternoon and evening services to tourists.

Seat worth argued that this adds the male prostitution, since a large number of men from other villages, which are controlled by buscones Haitians, are installed in small hotels in Sosua with the purpose of selling sexual favors.

He argued that the small hotels promotes sex tourism, even t-shirts that were sold before with the emblem "Sos?a no Problem" have disappeared from the market and this greatly worries because "we are selling in international markets as a paradise for the aberrant practice allowing prostitution in the world".

"That is not tourism we want in our community, but the healthy activity that we offer to our visitors through the jazz festivals, gastronomic, marathons of athletics and extreme sports competitions, and cultural activities".

While Ferreiras Jim?nez said that the problem of prostitution has affected businesses small and large of Sosua, because tourists have moved away from the area.

"Families of Moca, La Vega, Santiago, Jarabacoa, Mao (Valverde) who had holiday rentals between Sosua-Cabarete have abandoned them because they don't want their wives and daughters to be confused with prostitutes, nor children attend is involved in drug Affairs."

Upload occupation, but chaos abounds. Pichardo, however, stressed that, despite the many problems having Sosua "our occupation has been rising because we just leave a semester with a percentage above 90%".
He stressed that the Casa Marina hotel, that is your responsibility as a Manager is characterized by 85% of families and couples, tourism while recognising that other insignificant groups come to our company in Sosua to search other types of activities.

But the favorable news collides with another, as the representatives of these entities ensure that Sosua is arrabalizada and mired in "organized chaos".
And that chaos is the motoconcho, and houses that proliferate on the beach of this coast, as in Cabarete.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
June -July is the time to do all the repairs and renovations and at the same time allow the staff their holidays.
It's always been slow at this time so nothing unusual.

I hope they finally take down La Roca and do sometrhing there.It's a mess and an eyesore.

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
You won't get rid of prostitution until there are alternatives - an illiterate chica can work where to support her family etc.? Closing/demolishing stores just puts more people/kids on the street (many are also homes).

Option, make a designated 'red light' district - re-open the 'gentlemens' clubs (safety for both clients and 'chicas') and make Bar Rumba and everything West of there a tourist-policed zone (and pay the police!).

Another issue is pedophiles - enacting the laws on age would be simpler in a designated zone.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Pastoriza recalls that in the past, Sosua was a destination for family tourism, but in the last 15 years, this has changed drastically...

[/I]

I first visited here in 2005, so could the guys who have visited Sosua in 2001 please tell us if this town was a destination for family tourism... !?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I first visited here in 2005, so could the guys who have visited Sosua in 2001 please tell us if this town was a destination for family tourism... !?

I think I started a family in 2001 in Sosua!
It was certainly not a destination Liberty Travel was sending families.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Back to this subject again???? When will they realize that they need to make Sosua the best prostitution town in the world. Stop beating a dead horse and accept the fact that there is no alternative for work. Embrace the situation. Families only travel in winter while these guys travel all year long. Without them, Sosua's low season would be dead season.

Funny how all of this is being rehashed right after the election.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
...oh but wait. I thought the cruise ship port is going to turn Sosua into a family destination

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
...oh but wait. I thought the cruise ship port is going to turn Sosua into a family destination

Each Passenger was supposed to spend on Average $100 per DAY while on shore... lol....
They were counting on that Revenue too, is the sad part..
Fairy tales.

Jul 28, 2014
That's $76.8M Pesos in revenue just from the tourist card.
So your saying not one nickle trickled down, what are you saying exactly?

Please let us know what percentage of the 76.8M pesos ended up in Sosua??? The ARTICLE states, that beach vendors are claiming they are not seeing extra revenue since the arrivals of the ships, not sure where YOU are confused. Also, I know PERSONALLY from talking to bar and restaurant owners in Sosua that they are not getting any cruise folks either, so please provide your monetary synopsis of the Sosua trickle down

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Please let us know what percentage of the 76.8M pesos ended up in Sosua??? The ARTICLE states, that beach vendors are claiming they are not seeing extra revenue since the arrivals of the ships, not sure where YOU are confused. Also, I know PERSONALLY from talking to bar and restaurant owners in Sosua that they are not getting any cruise folks either, so please provide your monetary synopsis of the Sosua trickle down

Would you like the phone number of a chofer that I PERSONALLY KNOW (NOTE ALL CAPS JUST LIKE YOU!!!!) that is making good money driving cruise passengers?
Granted he has to pay off two people to be the "chofer" of choice for several excursions.
Oh, he lives in Sosua, so not sure if you count this homey.