Aduana employees found not guilty

Feb 7, 2007
Aduana (customs) employees who were accused of stealing 156,000 dollars from a Transporter (mula) in Santiago Airport, and which were recorded on CCTV video which went viral, where they were seen dividing the money among themselves, we're found NOT GUILTY because of the lack of evidence.

WTF?

The CCTV footage is apparently not evidence, according to this "judge"...

I am sure a large part of those 156,000 dollars have found a new, happy home.

http://m.elcaribe.com.do/2016/06/09...uana-acusado-apropiarse-dinero-que-trajo-una-

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Aduana (customs) employees who were accused of stealing 156,000 dollars from a Transporter (mula) in Santiago Airport, and which were recorded on CCTV video which went viral, where they were seen dividing the money among themselves, we're found NOT GUILTY because of the lack of evidence.

WTF?

I am sure a large part of those 156,000 dollars have found a new, judicial home.

http://m.elcaribe.com.do/2016/06/09...uana-acusado-apropiarse-dinero-que-trajo-una-

I corrected your post a bit.....also are you surprised after all it is Aduanas/Customs which in any country is always the most corrupt agency but 1000 % times more here ( and this percentage is on the conservative side )

My wife's has family that works in Aduanas in the capital and they pretty much admit it's a license to steal.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A group with 156,000 US Dollars to spread around found "GUILTY" in the DR????????????????????

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

A former "Jefe" of mine here in the DR, was once head of "ADUANAS".
"Love his pool area in "El Million" area of SD".
Reminds me of the pool at the "Jaragua Hotel"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

WTF?

I am sure a large part of those 156,000 dollars have found a new, happy home.

we need PICHARDO to spin this one. he will tell us how advanced the justice system is in the DR. so advanced that video recordings do not constitute evidence.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
we need PICHARDO to spin this one. he will tell us how advanced the justice system is in the DR. so advanced that video recordings do not constitute evidence.

As Pichardo not answer, I at least will say some positiv happens this week. The new chief of immigration said his organization won't take bribes anymore

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The new chief of immigration said his organization won't take bribes anymore

The new chief of immigration is a liar.

I?m pretty tough-skinned (not sure if that?s how you say it correctly...), but that piece of news was of new level for me...

The chief openly admitted that the people responsible for security (as in immigration) at the airport are corrupted, and him stating in a rather relaxed manner, that the extortion has not vanished, only come down on his term... If I was to admit something like that of my staff, I?d consider myself a huge failure, but I know things are different there...

I agree with a post from dv8 earlier, I have never actually seen this happen (or have not realized to take a "hint") personally though...

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
No, Robert said both English and Spanish were fine.

I hope this is true.

There would be so much more depth to some of these forum threads if there was more input from Dominicans. And if allowing spanish does that I'm all for it.
In this age of technology (translators etc.. ) it's weak reasoning to prohibit Spanish in DR1

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I suppose the question is ,in fact,whether the videos are admissable evidence in a court here . They can easily be played around with with things added or erased. I do not know if the courts have any access to people who can say the tapes have not been tampered with . Many politicians have had video interviews edited to such an extent that the edited version actually portays the politician saying the exact opposite. I know the laws and rules of evidence in the UK and most commonwealth countries ,,,but I would say the rules in the DR are delightfully flexible .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I suppose the question is ,in fact,whether the videos are admissable evidence in a court here . They can easily be played around with with things added or erased. I do not know if the courts have any access to people who can say the tapes have not been tampered with . Many politicians have had video interviews edited to such an extent that the edited version actually portays the politician saying the exact opposite. I know the laws and rules of evidence in the UK and most commonwealth countries ,,,but I would say the rules in the DR are delightfully flexible .

what a crock of crap. videos are admissible in every court on earth. as a matter of fact, video cameras are there for the sole purpose of gathering evidence. they put videos at traffic intersections to see who runs the light. banks have them to see who the robbers are. department stores have them to see who is shoplifting. even Vegas has then to see who is counting cards.

they were not admitted in this case because the Dominican Republic has zero sense of right and wrong. it is as simple as that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
what a crock of crap. videos are admissible in every court on earth. as a matter of fact, video cameras are there for the sole purpose of gathering evidence. they put videos at traffic intersections to see who runs the light. banks have them to see who the robbers are. department stores have them to see who is shoplifting. even Vegas has then to see who is counting cards.

they were not admitted in this case because the Dominican Republic has zero sense of right and wrong. it is as simple as that.

They know right from wrong. They just don't care. Whoever has the cash makes the decision as to guilt or innocence.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I installed a camera outside my business in new York ...because I had a neighbor dumping garbage outside my premises after the porter had swept the sidewalk...I waited till I had it on camera ...12 times ...I went to the sanitation dept with my videos and they watched them .....and then told me they could not use the video as evidence ...they would have to catch him themselves