Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default REtiring in DR: Las Terrenas Versus Samaná

An interesting, albeit short, article on the pros and cons of retiring in DR:

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...-versus-samana

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

and Sto Domingo is about 2 hrs from Las Terrenas via the new toll road.....
    or less, depending

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We went once to each place to see them. My wife, who is Dominican, for some reason was "creeped out" by Semana. We had planned on spending the night after meeting with some people who were on a cruise, but went right back to Cabarete after seeing them.

4. Likes La Profe_1 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    We went once to each place to see them. My wife, who is Dominican, for some reason was "creeped out" by Semana. We had planned on spending the night after meeting with some people who were on a cruise, but went right back to Cabarete after seeing them.
    When you refer to Samana I am guessing you are talking about Samana City itself. Samana city along the Malecon is ok but the town is kind of dumpy when you get back off the main drag. Las Terrenas is the place to retire.

6. Likes granca liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LTSteve View Post
    When you refer to Samana I am guessing you are talking about Samana City itself. Samana city along the Malecon is ok but the town is kind of dumpy when you get back off the main drag. Las Terrenas is the place to retire.
    I am indeed referring to Samana city and its dumpiness. Las Terrenas was OK, but nothing very compelling about the location to either of us.

8. Likes AlterEgo, bigbird liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I am indeed referring to Samana city and its dumpiness. Las Terrenas was OK, but nothing very compelling about the location to either of us.
    Forget Samana City, go to Las Galeras.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine that if you are retiring, the accessibility of decent medical care would be a major interest.
    I do not know whether this would be better in Samaná, Las Terrenas or some other location.
    I know that even in a fairly large Dominican city, (Barahona) if one has any sort of uncommon medical condition, they get sent to the capital, because the provincial city either lacks the equipment or the medical staff to deal with such conditions.
    I am aware that Barahona is a bit behind the times when compared with the more prosperous cities of the North Coast.

The one sure thing is that retired people are older than the average Dominican in the average Dominican place, and everyone gets older and when people get older, they need more medical attention.

A friend once said that his idea of the ideal way to go was to be murdered in bed by an angry cuckolded husband at the age of 104.
    But this is a rare occurrence,

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends what your interests are. If you are not beach people then Las Terrenas and area is probably not your cup of tea. What is great about LT is the large European populations which goods and services you won't find in the rest of the DR. There is also a steady supply of electricity. Again it all depends on what your interests are. You have to way the plusses and minuses in whatever area you are looking at. Having an airport less than 30 minutes from LT is a big plus. Good luck and good travels

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Airport - is a plus if it has flights to/from where you come from.

AZS is quite limited these days for Americans..... like ZERO flights

13. Likes jruane44 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LTSteve View Post
    I guess it depends what your interests are. If you are not beach people then Las Terrenas and area is probably not your cup of tea. What is great about LT is the large European populations which goods and services you won't find in the rest of the DR. There is also a steady supply of electricity. Again it all depends on what your interests are. You have to way the plusses and minuses in whatever area you are looking at. Having an airport less than 30 minutes from LT is a big plus. Good luck and good travels
    The type of European population I found in Las Terrenas was not necessarily a positive benefit. I am 20 minutes to an airport that has flights to the USA. There are quite a few beaches within a 2 to 45 minute drive from where I live including the best kite surfing and regular surfing beaches in the DR here in Cabarete.

What services do those Europeans provide that are not found in the rest of the DR?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast