Moving back to DR...Things for kids in Sosua?

rick3993

Sep 5, 2006
Hi my name is Rick and I have two kids 11 and 13, one boy and one girl.. We have lived in the DR before...a year in Las Terrenas and a
year in Santo Domingo..that was about three years ago. This time we will be moving to Sosua in a few weeks together with my
Dominican fiance. The kids will be going to the Garden Kids International School. I am interested in finding out
best way to rent a house for 6 months to a year and more especially about any kids events etc...and how to find my kids
friends when we first get there in July. Also wondering best way to get money each month.....using US debit card...
or is there a better way? Can I cash cashiers checks there? Thank You! Rick

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
This isn't much, but you should check SosuaNews.com every morning. Only one article each day, but every once in awhile you'll see something of interest for the kids.

Get on the mailing list at Sea Horse Ranch. http://sea-horse-ranch.com/contact/ They have activities occasionally in addition to horse back riding programs. Once a year they do a 3 or 4 day thing for kids.

And stop in the mayors office. She usually has something in the works for kids - classes, programs, etc.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You could get them into water sports. Kite beach in Cabrete is one of the best places in the world for the sport and there is also regular surfing at Encuentro. Get them into learning to play musical instruments. Otherwise not a lot of activities for children.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi my name is Rick and I have two kids 11 and 13, one boy and one girl.. We have lived in the DR before...a year in Las Terrenas and a
year in Santo Domingo..that was about three years ago. This time we will be moving to Sosua in a few weeks together with my
Dominican fiance. The kids will be going to the Garden Kids International School. I am interested in finding out
best way to rent a house for 6 months to a year and more especially about any kids events etc...and how to find my kids
friends when we first get there in July. Also wondering best way to get money each month.....using US debit card...

As far as getting money, most of us use debit cards, most banks charge $5.00 USD for transfers from US Banks, and the local ATM tacks on a similar charge, Maybe try xoom.com and see if that is better for you.
As far as kids' activities, maybe get in touch with Lindsey Kaufman here on DR1 and have your kids join local kids on her programs. Might be good for them.
Der Fish

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Open a US dollar account in a local bank. Deposit US checks, withdraw US dolllars and change as needed (not in the bank, but at Western Union or Caribe Express). No fees to do that.

There are also money changes who will accept a US dollar check and give you pesos supposedly at a good rate.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Open a US dollar account in a local bank. Deposit US checks, withdraw US dolllars and change as needed (not in the bank, but at Western Union or Caribe Express). No fees to do that.

There are also money changes who will accept a US dollar check and give you pesos supposedly at a good rate.

Exactly what we do. It works.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a Banreservas USD account. So if someone or a business mailed me a personal cheq. they will accept it here when deposited to my BR usd account?

Yes, just know they will not let you withdraw the money for some time. I can't speak about Banreservas, but BHD holds it about 10 business days

Aug 21, 2007
Casa de Arte in Sosua offers art classes and ballet for kids. They sometimes offer other classes and activities. Stop in and check it out.

Lindsey

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

There are many ways to find rental properties. You can contact a local realtor and have him show you properties. This is always the best way. You will see the property in the flesh and be able to judge the location, security and features of the rental. You can also go on line and look at websites, such as, VRBO, vacation rental by owner or homeaway.com. If you work with a realtor just remember they are not regulated as an industry in the DR. Just make sure you find someone reputable and reliable. Use a debit card to access pesos while in the DR. You will not be able to cash checks. Do not bring a lot of cash with you. That is just common sense and a safety concern. I am not sure if you could open a bank account without a cedular card, which shows you have obtained residency. Also, the banks my ask you for documents other than just your passport. Go luck and good travels.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are many ways to find rental properties. You can contact a local realtor and have him show you properties. This is always the best way. You will see the property in the flesh and be able to judge the location, security and features of the rental. You can also go on line and look at websites, such as, VRBO, vacation rental by owner or homeaway.com. If you work with a realtor just remember they are not regulated as an industry in the DR. Just make sure you find someone reputable and reliable. Use a debit card to access pesos while in the DR. You will not be able to cash checks. Do not bring a lot of cash with you. That is just common sense and a safety concern. I am not sure if you could open a bank account without a cedular card, which shows you have obtained residency. Also, the banks my ask you for documents other than just your passport. Go luck and good travels.

Note: One of the people in this couple is a Dominican. Opening a bank account and depositing checks should not be an issue.

rick3993

Sep 5, 2006
Thank you all for your insights and experience!!! I found all of your comments very helpful!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Note: One of the people in this couple is a Dominican. Opening a bank account and depositing checks should not be an issue.

You are right there but if as he states he is only going to be in Sosua for a few weeks why would he need a bank account at this point?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Moving to Sosua in a few weeks

You are right there but if as he states he is only going to be in Sosua for a few weeks why would he need a bank account at this point?

This time we will be moving to Sosua in a few weeks

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
[size=+2]Good luck in your new proyect down there![/size]

JJ