Where do Dominicans learn this

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We have a 15 year old niece living in S.D. My Dominican wife follows her education closely. Recently she failed a class. Took it over and was getting another poor grade and has to take the final exam again. Wife is angry and in the discussion it comes out that the big problem is that "my notebook is missing". She effing loses her school books but sees it as a missing problem thereby evading responsibility. Is this a culturally learned thing? Beginning to think she will not get out of H.S. At 15 I would never try to pull off missing book excuse because it would double the punishment or worse.

Books are not missing you lost it like an idiot.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Probably conveniently lost it because she had not copied any of her homework and actually did any of it. No sense of personal responsibility as she hasn't been held personally responsible from a young age. You have to teach them early.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not to be pro-dominican (god forbid) but i think dumbass excuses are common among dumb teens everywhere. that's how youth works. one has to train making excuses early in life to perfect them for when they get married.

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
We have a 15 year old niece living in S.D. My Dominican wife follows her education closely. Recently she failed a class. Took it over and was getting another poor grade and has to take the final exam again. Wife is angry and in the discussion it comes out that the big problem is that "my notebook is missing". She effing loses her school books but sees it as a missing problem thereby evading responsibility. Is this a culturally learned thing? Beginning to think she will not get out of H.S. At 15 I would never try to pull off missing book excuse because it would double the punishment or worse.

Books are not missing you lost it like an idiot.

Closely monitored??? Maybe she was afraid of admitting it was lost because of the consequences.

'Wife is angry...'/'an idiot'............ very encouraging :-z

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
It has nothing to do with nationality. I have three teenagers (german) 2 of them often come with stupid excuses why they don't deliver good grades.
Its like Bob says , you have to teach them early.
I am not a good teacher thats part of the problem

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I remember telling my teenagers Excuses are like arseholes, everybody has one and I am not interested in yours.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My issue is that by saying the notebook is "missing" she is avoiding responsibility for losing it. And it's not now or ever was missing. You lost your school book . Just say I lost it and say it early. Missing to me is an attempt to evade personal responsibility. I have know a few Dominicans and only met one who instantly fessed up with "I did it"
That one I married

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My issue is that by saying the notebook is "missing" she is avoiding responsibility for losing it.

i think we discussed this issue in the spanish sub forum in regards to the language structure. "se perdio" rolls off the tongue better than "lo perdi".

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My issue is that by saying the notebook is "missing" she is avoiding responsibility for losing it. And it's not now or ever was missing. You lost your school book . Just say I lost it and say it early. Missing to me is an attempt to evade personal responsibility. I have know a few Dominicans and only met one who instantly fessed up with "I did it"
That one I married

It is called the passive voice when teaching English. The mouse was eaten by the cat sounds so much less violent and better for the cat than the cat ate the mouse.
Der Fish

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Heh, heh,heh, she could not recognize the passive voice if you hit her over the head with a baseball bat. I'm giving up
Wife has high hopes she could marry a gringo. She does look good but needs to learn to never say anything. Just in case we will send her to cosmetology school so she has a skill and can do hair. Just in case. Thanks for the iput.

Aug 6, 2006
I don't think that lame excuses are exclusively a Dominican problem.
The incidence of lame excuses might be greater.
I am pretty sure that in Japan, Taiwan and Singapore students are more responsible that many other places: kids there are worried about being a disgrace to the family if they donltlearn as they are suposed to.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Consider how litigious folks in the US are as well. It ain't just a thing here in DR.

actually, liability and fault are highly developed in the USA. maybe that is what lubricates the litigiousness. if you rear end someone at a traffic light in the USA, there is no equivocation. it is your fault. in the DR, not so much.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
actually, liability and fault are highly developed in the USA. maybe that is what lubricates the litigiousness. if you rear end someone at a traffic light in the USA, there is no equivocation. it is your fault. in the DR, not so much.

I was more referring to people suing McD's for making them fat instead of owning that they ate at McD's way too much. That is very analagous to the idiot trying to turn left in front of me being more than willing to blame me for the accident (and me probably having to bribe people to tell the actual truth).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Wife has high hopes she could marry a gringo. She does look good but needs to learn to never say anything. Just in case we will send her to cosmetology school so she has a skill and can do hair.

send her for apprenticeship in barba negra. that will give her a good head start in a hunt for gringo husband.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was more referring to people suing McD's for making them fat instead of owning that they ate at McD's way too much. That is very analagous to the idiot trying to turn left in front of me being more than willing to blame me for the accident (and me probably having to bribe people to tell the actual truth).

you do have a point there.

Status
Not open for further replies.