Moving to Puerto Plata

EmilyLynne

Feb 11, 2002
Hey~

My name is Emily, and I am from Canada.
I am hoping to move to Puerto Plata, this summer.
I already have a place lined up, so my living situation isn't really a concern...
I am more curious about what I am to expect of my surroundings.
(I only visited there once, and I wasn't in the city that much).
I'm wondering about...the transportation, the markets, the local stores, accessibility to the beaches....etc.
I already know that the people are very kind!

Any extra information would be extremely helpful~

Thank you very much, in advance

:)

EmilyLynne~
em_sweetie4ever@hotmail.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sounds like something Bush Baby should be able to handle.

You should have fun learning about this place. Do talk to Grahame.

HB

EmilyLynne

Feb 11, 2002
Thanks...where do I find Bush Baby!?

Well, apparently there is lots to learn!

What's the deal with Puerto PLata?
Work? Fun and clubs? Men?!

;)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks...where do I find Bush Baby!?

He pops in every so often & says a few words!! You could have found him under several postings he has made - just look for his name!!

Now that I am here, I suggest you look through the archives, check out the questions you want to ask & then drop me an e-mail. Give me as much info as you can (or are comfortable with passing on to a srtanger) & I will do what I can.

Is MEN the reason for coming??? If so, chuck your money into the nearest wastebin (or better still, charity) & rethink your life. Men here will find you & redistribute your wealth in ways you never thought possible. Think about WHY you want to come down before you write as this is important! GB

EmilyLynne

Feb 11, 2002
Hell no!

Thanks for a somewhat sketchy response...

I want to come and live in the Dominican for a completely different experience.
I'm finished highschool; just about to complete
2 years of studying Art, at a prestigous Art college.
It's been great...but it hasn't fufilled me yet.
I love different cultures - and I am eager to learn about them...
The Dominican seems to have really friendly people...and I found them truly genuine-
and that is where some of my questions come in.
My view was completely teinted by everyone telling me that people there were only nice to me, because I was a white woman - who apparently, was loaded.

If that was true,
than how would I be viewed if I came there to live and work?

~

At this point, I have arranged living arrangments already in Puerto Plata; I'm not really worried about that.
I am a little unclear about the 3 month tourist card / the visa/ the permanent residency?
Every one to whom I've spoken with says, you don't have to bother with a visa...and yet, then I hear stories of people being deported, because they weren't legal (they didn't have a passport/visa....)
I checked with the Dominican's Embassy here in Canada, and they said that I would have to apply for a visa once I arrived in the country?
HOw would one go about that?

~

Hell no! was to the comment about going for the men - Please, one has very little time...
I was wondering, in terms of their manerisms.
While I was there, most of the men were extremely courteous, and always including a compliment somewhere in between a brief conversation.
How genuine are they in their intentions?

When I was in Europe, I was followed to my hostel...practically attacked in a park (in the afternoon!)....and men certainly, weren't very suave.
And don't get me started on Americans!
(ha! just kidding)

~

Working-
I have a good amount of work experience - especially with customer service and sales...
I was wondering what the job availability is like...and ofcourse the wages...
any info on that would be quite useful.
(I wouldn't be searching for a job, until a little while after first settling)

Those are some of my questions for now...

:)