Anti-LGBT Group Takes Over The Streets Of The Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Religious Anti-LGBT Group Takes Over The Streets Of The Dominican Republic

A group of Catholic, Protestant and Christian protesters swarmed the city streets of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic to protest against the LGBT community.

The march was led by monsignor Victor Masalles, and was held on Sunday. It started from Colegio Calasanz to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, where the OAS (Organization of American States) held its general meeting. The protesters spoke out against abortion and gay marriage, accusing the OAS of perpetuating an LGBTQ agenda in the DR, according to Acento.

In hindsight, the march wasn?t a response to the massive shooting that took the lives of 49 people in the gay Orlando nightclub, Pulse on Sunday, but there?s no denying it came at a very trying time for the community. Amid the heartache and turmoil, this is yet another reminder of the discrimination and homophobia that amasses in Latino America, and beyond.

Reportedly this wasn?t the first instance of intolerance for the LGBT community in the island. Just a few hours before the march kicked off, a team of LGBT+ activist met with the OAS secretary in DR at a hotel, where transgender women were not permitted to use the vicinity?s bathrooms.

Wilson Casta?eda, the director of Caribe Afirmativo, an organization dedicated to LGBT rights in Latino America, stated this is the first time an incident like this has ever happened in regards to bathroom usage, according to El Espectador. ?I have attended this assembly for six years and this is the first time that I?ve seen this,? he said. ?Trans women have always been able to use women?s bathrooms at these meetings.?

As a product of these two discriminatory acts, the Dominican LGBT community is outraged. Activist Deivis Ventura stated that about 500 LGBTQ people have been killed all over the Americas in 2016 so far, reports Al Momento.

James Walter Brewster Jr., the U.S. ambassador to the DR took to Facebook to express his sentiments against all the anti-LGBT protest happening in the island?especially with the recent attacks in Orlando.

Brewster Jr., who is openly gay, received a lot of religious backlash when he was appointed as U.S. ambassador of the island.

?Where is their humanity???? he wrote. ?Front page in the Dominican Republic today! Leaders of the Catholic and Evangelical Church marched against LGBT rights only hours after the mass tragedy in Orlando. Still stunned and horrified that this event was not cancelled as the rest of the world was showing an outpouring of love and support for the victims and their families.?

Source: http://www.vibe.com

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The timing of the march was very unfortunate, and IMO it should have been cancelled.

It was quite large, if the photos of one group outside the US Embassy in Santo Domingo is any indication.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I always said you can teach anything....but sadly you can't teach common sense.....

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Let's keep DR Related and keep religion out of it.............................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
it's as good moment as any to add this link to a recent article in el caribe:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/04/28/candidato-vice-del-pqdc-ldquo-ano-cloaca-del-cuerpordquo

Great timing indeed:

PQDC vice presidential candidate: "The anus is the body cloaca"

28/04/2016 8:17 a.m. - Natali Faxas

Javier Paulino, vice presidential candidate PQDC.

The running mate of PQDC, Javier Paulino, surprised when he speaks of homosexuality: "The LGBT agenda is not just a list of persons of both sexes is limited but extends beyond, they are routed to the approval of pedophilia relationship ... They are also the promoters of animal-man relationship, "he says.

He says that tolerates this community, which does not discriminate and that his body people are free to do whatever they want. And while talk that the LGBT community is a world of darkness, violent, who died late ( "15 or 20 years ago") to for their sexual practices.

"The vagina of the woman was made for penetration while the year, we can call the cloaca of the body was not made for this. So you see that they get sick, they die untimely "he said.

He also said that 90% of gays and lesbians have been violated in their infancy and have been marked by this event and so, since his conviction, homosexuality is learned. After exposing these views, Wessin Chavez was asked if he agreed with the approach of his running mate. He said yes.
- See more at: https://translate.googleusercontent...4ajGBLYo1kB_sgQbaQx-h_mQ#sthash.5vG86VHq.dpuf

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Still stunned and horrified that this event was not cancelled
as the rest of the world was showing an outpouring of love and support for the victims and their families.”

Ya can't have it your way every day Wally, the show will go on with or without your approval.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
You simply cannot keep religion out of this topic as the groups who were marching were religious groups

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
When is bigotry appropriate?

You say it is bigotry because someone believes marriage is only between a man and a woman. Many of us disagree with you. You say a person with a penis should be able to enter a women's room with young (or old) girls. Many of us disagree. Because someone disagrees with your position doesn't make them a racist or sexist or homophobe.
Having said this I believe it was poor timing and they should have re-scheduled their march to express their opinions.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Gotta separate both things. Can one be disagreeing with the life, position of family, sexual orientation of another without hating them? Yes, at least I can. I disagree with the definition of marriage being broadened to what the LGBT lobby would like it to be, but don't and wouldn't hate anyone being gay, lesbian, transsexual or transgender, because of their orientation and wouldn't applaud or defend any act of violence against them, to the contrary.

It doesn't mean that those participating in te OAS meetings or those following closely what's being resolved their cant voice their opinion on the LGBT agenda (and pro life / pro choice agenda) should now be quiet because some fanatic idiot massacred 50 human beings.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You say it is bigotry because someone believes marriage is only between a man and a woman. Many of us disagree with you. You say a person with a penis should be able to enter a women's room with young (or old) girls. Many of us disagree. Because someone disagrees with your position doesn't make them a racist or sexist or homophobe.
Having said this I believe it was poor timing and they should have re-scheduled their march to express their opinions.

Believing is indeed a problem. I am aware there are many people who do not believe that any two people can be married. They received their direction from others instead of from common sense that people should be allowed to do whatever they wish that does not cause harm to others. But instead they wish to meddle in the affairs of two people.

As far as bathroom usage goes, I never stated an opinion.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Well I obviously failed to work around it as posting was deleted.. still I bear no hate to the moderators as those do to minority groups .

Aug 21, 2007
Shame on those who marched. Intolerance is not acceptable in my system of beliefs. These are the belief systems that bring the world down.

Sorry for posting political beliefs. I usually refrain, but lately it seems that intolerance is what fuels today's world.

Lindsey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Gotta separate both things. Can one be disagreeing with the life, position of family, sexual orientation of another without hating them? Yes, at least I can. I disagree with the definition of marriage being broadened to what the LGBT lobby would like it to be, but don't and wouldn't hate anyone being gay, lesbian, transsexual or transgender, because of their orientation and wouldn't applaud or defend any act of violence against them, to the contrary.

It doesn't mean that those participating in te OAS meetings or those following closely what's being resolved their cant voice their opinion on the LGBT agenda (and pro life / pro choice agenda) should now be quiet because some fanatic idiot massacred 50 human beings.

There is nothing in this discussion on the topic of "pro life" as you codify it. I understand some people have on obsession with that topic and will inject it into any discussion.

As far as LGBT people, you can disagree with them, but why should anyone care about what you think in that regard? What you express (and what the protest expressed) is still intolerance to how others wish to live their lives.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There was a vigil in solidarity and memory of the victims in Parque Duarte in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo on Tuesday night.
These photos were shared on Facebook:

13450908_10208842760598658_8403927429858917970_n.jpg

13422450_10208842760638659_1983487007702756977_o.jpg

Can't seperate it really when it is all about religious hate.
Why do you care who I love and marry?

I hope you don't raise your kids with that hate and it is hate.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can't seperate it really when it is all about religious hate.
Why do you care who I love and marry?

I hope you don't raise your kids with that hate and it is hate.

Careful, we cannot mention the R word.... It is about hate taught to people by others who read books not based upon reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.