To Cuba by boat?

Sean77

Jun 17, 2016
Saludos,

I'm interested in going to Santiago de Cuba (or somewhere on the south coast) from the DR by boat in late July. I know there are no ferries and the only options are to charter or hook up with someone with a yacht who's making the trip (one way or return). I'd be happy to crew but I am a novice. I'm Canadian, in good shape (no, I'm not 77), and have been to Cuba many times direct from Canada, including Santiago de Cuba. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Fathom cruise line goes to Santiago de Cuba from Miami. They also come to Puerto Plata in the DR and fares are heavily discounted atm as they are not getting the take up they expected. Might be worth looking at them. Not quite a yacht mind lol.

Matilda

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Saludos,

I'm interested in going to Santiago de Cuba (or somewhere on the south coast) from the DR by boat in late July. I know there are no ferries and the only options are to charter or hook up with someone with a yacht who's making the trip (one way or return). I'd be happy to crew but I am a novice. I'm Canadian, in good shape (no, I'm not 77), and have been to Cuba many times direct from Canada, including Santiago de Cuba. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I doubt you will find anyone sailing to Cuba. I am not sure if anyone would want to chance being in Cuban waters with a private yacht. Cuba is still restricted for the most part. There are authorized flights and cruise lines going into Havana but I don't think private citizens can use their own transportation and I doubt anyone is going to risk having their boat taken by Cuban authorities. You are ahead of the curve. At some point in the not so distant future there will be a ferry from Santo Domingo to Havana but not yet. Cuba is still a very restricted location. Additionally any private boats going to Cuba will be under scrutiny of the US Coast Guard.

Sean77

Jun 17, 2016
Sadly I think you're right LTSteve. I think the restrictions you mention apply only to American citizens and businesses and their property, however. I would have thought that a yacht owned by a non-US citizen sailing from the DR to Cuba wouldn't be at risk of seizure by either Cuba or the US Coast Guard - they wouldn't be going anywhere near the US. CubaJet has weekly (Mondays) direct flights from SDQ to Santiago de Cuba starting at $484 (Canadian dollars, they don't offer US dollar pricing and you can't use a US credit card but that's about US$365). I can fly back to Toronto for that. Oh well, island hopping isn't easy - too bad.

Sean77

Jun 17, 2016
Thanks Matilda, I checked out Fathom cruises and they do offer 7 day cruises from Miami to Cuba and the DR but not to both on the same cruise.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Sadly I think you're right LTSteve. I think the restrictions you mention apply only to American citizens and businesses and their property, however. I would have thought that a yacht owned by a non-US citizen sailing from the DR to Cuba wouldn't be at risk of seizure by either Cuba or the US Coast Guard - they wouldn't be going anywhere near the US. CubaJet has weekly (Mondays) direct flights from SDQ to Santiago de Cuba starting at $484 (Canadian dollars, they don't offer US dollar pricing and you can't use a US credit card but that's about US$365). I can fly back to Toronto for that. Oh well, island hopping isn't easy - too bad.

I know where you can get 54' sailboat that has gone from where it was built in Oregon to Hawaii and then back to the Western Hemisphere and ghru the anama Canal and uo the east coast to Maine where it is now housed for only $80,000 and then sail it to the Dr or Cuba or wherever you choose.
Der Fish

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Good lord are you drunk? You're suggesting he flies to Maine, drops 80 large, so he can sail from Maine to Cuba.

Why do I bother?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks Matilda, I checked out Fathom cruises and they do offer 7 day cruises from Miami to Cuba and the DR but not to both on the same cruise.

Sneak aboard in the DR, stay hidden till gets to Miami, keep hiding and end up in Cuba! Easy as it is the same ship.

Matilda

Sean77

Jun 17, 2016
Ha ha ha, I hadn't considered the stowaway option! That would be an adventure but I don't think I'm ready for it. Not that desperate to get to Cuba - it was the boat trip that interested me.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
My niece, her husband and kids, bought a cat in Cuba and are now sailing the Caribbean. They were in Luperon last week. It's no big deal. Go with your heart. There is no issue with Cuba ( they are Canadian ). Live your life

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Sneak aboard in the DR, stay hidden till gets to Miami, keep hiding and end up in Cuba! Easy as it is the same ship.

Matilda

I drove a lady around for a week who told me that she and a friend stowed away on a cruise ship for a 2 week cruise around the Caribbean, but couldn't get off the ship at the various stops. I was somewhat skeptical of her story, but she spoke as if serious.
Der Fish

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
At this point in life shouldnt you be with your grandkids instead of sketchy folks in a 3rd world country ?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Saludos,

Go to www.cruisingforums.com and look in the "crew positions needed and wanted" section. Contrary to what Americans have been led to believe, Cuba is not going to confiscate your yacht when you pull in and people go there on their yachts regularly although not an every day. There are other sailing and cruising sites too. make sure they know you have experience with Cuba. That's a plus.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
In April of this year I took a brand new cathull boat we had built in Juan Dolio from Puerto Plata to Cape Canaveral FL. I have heard of absolutely nothing about problems entering Cuba on a private boat and would have no worries about taking a yacht there. In fact our company is approved from the U.S. to take several of our vessels to the South Side of Cuba for an exploration project. Again, don't see any problems at all with getting a boat confiscated unless you're doing something illegal like drugs, etc. Go and have a good time if you find a ride..

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here is the Dominican Port Authority site http://www.apordom.gov.do/ It has a list of all the ports and arriving and departing boats (although the arrival and departure link isnt working atm). You might be able to get a lift on one of them.

Matilda

Sean77

Jun 17, 2016
At this point in life shouldnt you be with your grandkids instead of sketchy folks in a 3rd world country ?
I'll type slowly in small sentences so you can understand. As I said in my first post, I'm not 77. Sean is a common name. 77 is easy to remember. I don't have any grandkids Sherlock. Get yourself a life. You know nothing.

Sean77

Jun 17, 2016
Go to www.cruisingforums.com and look in the "crew positions needed and wanted" section. Contrary to what Americans have been led to believe, Cuba is not going to confiscate your yacht when you pull in and people go there on their yachts regularly although not an every day. There are other sailing and cruising sites too. make sure they know you have experience with Cuba. That's a plus.
Thanks for the info, I'll look it up.