Canadian Embassy

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Is the Canadian embassy still in acropolis towers? Do they still deal with non Canadian visitor visa applications? Do they still renew Canadian passports?
Sorry for questions someone told some of this is done through Mexico now. Thanks in advance!

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Is the Canadian embassy still in acropolis towers? Do they still deal with non Canadian visitor visa applications? Do they still renew Canadian passports?
Sorry for questions someone told some of this is done through Mexico now. Thanks in advance!

Embajada de Canad? en Santo Domingo

Embassy
Address: Torre Citigroup en Acr?polis Center, piso 18, Av. Winston Churchill 1099, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Phone:+1 809-262-3100
Hours:
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Monday Open 24 hours
Tuesday Closed
Wednesday Open 24 hours
Thursday Open 24 hours
Friday Open 24 hours

Consular Services/Passports
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/dominican_republic-republique_dominicaine/consular_services_consulaires/passports-passeports.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=31http://www.canadainternational.gc.c...assports-passeports.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=3133

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Embajada de Canad? en Santo Domingo

Embassy
Address: Torre Citigroup en Acr?polis Center, piso 18, Av. Winston Churchill 1099, Santo Domingo,

If anyone has other information, feel free to correct me, but having visited the Torre Piantini a number of times for other business, as far as I know (and I had to research this once for someone...) the VAC (Visa Application Center) for Canada is actually located there, not together with the actual embassy (which is located in Acropolis)?

I believe on the page of the actual embassy (Acropolis), they actually divert anyone with consular matters to the VAC-page, which again is in Torre Piantini

https://csc-cvac.com/en-DO/selfservice/cvac_application_centres

It says on the site, that they would indeed forward paperwork to Mexico, and would also be dealing with travel documents for permanent residents?

Again, no first hand experience here, just researched this once (for a while ago) for someone, and have seen that huge VAC in Torre Piantini...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Consular services at Acropolis continue as always. You can renew your passport there or at their offices in Punta Cana and Puerto Plata. Send an email to sdmgo.consul@international.gc.ca if you have any questions. For visas, you can either apply online at www.cic.gc.ca or at the VAC that?s located in Torre Piantini (Gustavo M. Ricart esquina Abraham Lincoln). Hope this helps!

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
The embassy is still in acropolis on the 18th floor....but the visa application centre is in torre piantini. The embassy does not deal with visa applications firectly. This is only done through the VAC now.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If anyone has experience or knowledge of this question, i appreciate it.

Dominican passport (Dominican person) expires in 6 mths. It has a 5 year USA Visa attached inside. Also wanting to apply for 10 year Canadian visitor visa.
1) Does the existing USA 5 year visa transfer somehow over to renewed DR Passport?
2) Recommendation as for applying for 10 year Canada visa, should renew DR passport first or do all together?
3) Ballpark costs for DR Passport renewal- Canada Visa application- any potential fees to transfer existing USA Visa to new passport?
Thanks in advance

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If anyone has experience or knowledge of this question, i appreciate it.

Dominican passport (Dominican person) expires in 6 mths. It has a 5 year USA Visa attached inside. Also wanting to apply for 10 year Canadian visitor visa.
1) Does the existing USA 5 year visa transfer somehow over to renewed DR Passport?
2) Recommendation as for applying for 10 year Canada visa, should renew DR passport first or do all together?
3) Ballpark costs for DR Passport renewal- Canada Visa application- any potential fees to transfer existing USA Visa to new passport?
Thanks in advance

1) The visa stays in the old one and the person travels with both. Many simply staple them together so the old one doesn't get left behind.
2) Renew first as max validity is up to expiry date of the passport.
3) For Canadian visa, visit www.cic.gc.ca and https://csc-cvac.com/es-DO/selfservice/cvac_welcome . No need to transfer visa to new passport. DR passport fees were posted recently but can't recall.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
1) The visa stays in the old one and the person travels with both. Many simply staple them together so the old one doesn't get left behind.
3) For Canadian visa, visit www.cic.gc.ca and https://csc-cvac.com/es-DO/selfservice/cvac_welcome . No need to transfer visa to new passport. DR passport fees were posted recently but can't recall.

Thanks alot KateP very helpfull. It looks to me like the new 10 year DR Passports fee is 5500dop. Canadian Visa App for individual is 75usd.
Dominican lawyer quoted to fill out everything and do all for $1500usd. Looks to me like its more like $200usd all in unless i am missing something.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks alot KateP very helpfull. It looks to me like the new 10 year DR Passports fee is 5500dop. Canadian Visa App for individual is 75usd.
Dominican lawyer quoted to fill out everything and do all for $1500usd. Looks to me like its more like $200usd all in unless i am missing something.

Ladronazo. The only additional fee I can see would be the processing fees at the Vac for the Canadian visa.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Ladronazo. The only additional fee I can see would be the processing fees at the Vac for the Canadian visa.

It seems I had one piece of the story incorrect. The DR passport doesnt expire in 6 mths but 1 year and 6 mths. This said the Canadian Visa application from what i see would only be as long as the validity of the passport. The lawyer who quoted 1500usd stated in that price they would be able to somehow have the CDN visa still become a 10 year one. Beyong the lawyer potential incorrect advise, KateP what do you suggest based on this? It would be a shame to redo the whole CDN visa process again in a year or so when passport needs renewal.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It seems I had one piece of the story incorrect. The DR passport doesnt expire in 6 mths but 1 year and 6 mths. This said the Canadian Visa application from what i see would only be as long as the validity of the passport. The lawyer who quoted 1500usd stated in that price they would be able to somehow have the CDN visa still become a 10 year one. Beyong the lawyer potential incorrect advise, KateP what do you suggest based on this? It would be a shame to redo the whole CDN visa process again in a year or so when passport needs renewal.

Your lawyer has no say in how long the visa would be valid for nor can he/she allege to have an inside contact as the Immigration department is now in Mexico. What you would need to see now is if the passport can be renewed with 18 months remaining. Some countries require a max of 12 months.

Here's what I got from the CIC website:

Conditions of a visa

There are two types: a single-entry visa and a multiple-entry visa. Both are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used after they expire.

A multiple-entry visa allows visitors to come and go from Canada, usually for six months at a time, without having to reapply. It is valid for up to 10 years, or one month before your passport expires, whichever comes first. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your visa.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The Canadian visa is only valid until the original passport expires....your lawyer is stupid.....you can fill out all the paperwork online for free, pay the fees online and you only need to go to the VAC if they request their passport (which means the visa is approved) .... Just went through this and got a visa for my wife and child....

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Your lawyer has no say in how long the visa would be valid for nor can he/she allege to have an inside contact as the Immigration department is now in Mexico. What you would need to see now is if the passport can be renewed with 18 months remaining. Some countries require a max of 12 months.

Here's what I got from the CIC website:

Conditions of a visa

There are two types: a single-entry visa and a multiple-entry visa. Both are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used after they expire.

A multiple-entry visa allows visitors to come and go from Canada, usually for six months at a time, without having to reapply. It is valid for up to 10 years, or one month before your passport expires, whichever comes first. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your visa.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp

I cannot find what the earliest before expiry one can replace their Dominican Passport. Does anyone know from experience.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Canada do not give visas valid longer than your passport, My visa expire together with my passport, if you want to get 10 years visa then you have to apply for a 10 years Dominican passport.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Canada do not give visas valid longer than your passport, My visa expire together with my passport, if you want to get 10 years visa then you have to apply for a 10 years Dominican passport.

Yes we are well aware of that but thanks! The only unanswered question is the DR passport i see now expires in 11 mths from now and I cannot find what the earliest before expiry one can replace their Dominican Passport. Does anyone know from experience.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I cannot find what the earliest before expiry one can replace their Dominican Passport. Does anyone know from experience.

I tried calling (809-532-4233 ext. 221) but it looks like they close to the public at 3pm. Might want to try giving them a call tomorrow starting at 8am.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes we are well aware of that but thanks! The only unanswered question is the DR passport i see now expires in 11 mths from now and I cannot find what the earliest before expiry one can replace their Dominican Passport. Does anyone know from experience.

In the link posted by Kate you'll find the email address comunicaciones@pasaportes.gob.do and phone number . : 809-532-4233 ext. 221.

Give them a call or email and ask how soon before expiry a Dominican passport can be renewed.