TV streaming sticks in DR?

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me which television streaming sticks (e.g. Amazon Fire, Google Chromecast, Roku, etc.) work best in DR and offer the most options/channels, etc.?

Also, would a UK one work in DR or would I have to buy one in DR or US?

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Rob :)

Jan 7, 2016
We use our ROKU Streaming Stick almost daily here in the D.R. Purchased in U.S., gets most of the same programming here as in the U.S. with the exception of some of the music channels like Pandora, which require that you stream from your home country. The picture quality is excellent (1080p) and we use 3 mbps cable internet without difficulty.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had roku cube and it worked well, i guess. now we have a TV with built in roku. i don't see spanish language options, tho. not that we care.
this setup can also access external hard drives connected to main computer in another room. makes it easy to watch downloaded movies.

Feb 7, 2007
You can always use unotelly DNS server to have service providers make see you as streaming from the USA, instead of DR other country.

I was told Amazon Fire was best one to jailbreak it and get all TV series from the internet for free using some XMBC plug ins, My friend in SD knows how to do that in 5 minutes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In Cabarete using a cable modem with Cable Del Norte I have a US IP address. No problem streaming Pandora or Spotify. I use a MAG254 for IPTV.

XBMC is a good backup, but it takes some searching to find what you want and that content can come and go.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In Cabarete using a cable modem with Cable Del Norte I have a US IP address. No problem streaming Pandora or Spotify. I use a MAG254 for IPTV.

Where do you get your streaming content for the MAG? I'm thinking of getting one of these devices, either roku, amazon fire tv or some other as yet to be determined device. I understand how these devices work but couldn't figure out how the MAG works from their website.

Thx.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
You can get TV shows, movies, etc on demand, but if you're into sports Roku still isn't a good option. Even if you get a monthly service there's very little in HD.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Where do you get your streaming content for the MAG? I'm thinking of getting one of these devices, either roku, amazon fire tv or some other as yet to be determined device. I understand how these devices work but couldn't figure out how the MAG works from their website.

Thx.

Theres a content aggregator on the back end. They give you a portal web address and I think it's a 7-day free trial. You set up the portal address in the MAG254 and once it connects, you get everything that portal has access to. There are at least 800 channels, including everything my Claro IPTV box has access to. You get local US channels from NYC, Miami, and PR, and more pay-cable channels than I've ever seen before. My service costs me ~$80/year. They recently had Batman v Superman on the on-demand channels. I haven't looked to see what they added in June. It will also stream content from local shared storage, so I've been binge-watching Archer and Alias that I downloaded to my NAS.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do not think there is any free trial period any more with ftazeta/nfps. The yearly "donation" last I checked was $105.