Thread: Planting time.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planting time.

Mid June is a little late to be putting in a garden in most parts of North America. But what about here? In Miami tomatoes were planted in late November or so. Does anyone know when would be best to plant the common and simple crops in the ground? Tomatoes and peppers as well as lettuce and carrots etc? I am on the north coast if that makes a difference. I have never gone so long in my life without a garden.
    Thanks
    Der Fish

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Our caretaker doesn't plant by the month - he is insistent on planting by the moon phases.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news is you can plant any time of the year. There are other issues here that are prevalent . You need to make sure the type of Tomato is resistant to tropical sun. Also you will need to keep a close eye on making sure that they are kept humid and i recommend a drip dry system. Too much water is bad as well. I found the cherry tomatoes do quite well. I also have had good results with peppers esp jamaican varieties like scotch bonnet. You need to look out for white fly and certain crickets that eat the stem. ggod luck

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you can grow tomatoes in the summer here? My peppers grow good year round but lettuses and tomatoes have not fared well in my gardenafter July. maybe I am not planting the right varieties?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

November planting works better for us... too hot otherwise

We cover the newbies with the filter screen protection.

Lettuce doesn't seem to do well past feb or so.... even the local seeds.

Hear that Derf?
    Buy local seeds or harvest tomatoe seeds from your own tomatoes.
    actually, harvest as many local seeds as you can
    our best success comes from that

Senor Green Thumb (not Tom )

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive been growing tomatoes since February and theyre really suffering right now, even with all the water I give them daily. If I could, Id set up a mesh over them to give them some shade. They were growing fine up to about a month ago. My lettuce grew like crazy, up to a point that it looked more like big weeds than anything else. Ended up pulling it all out. I was growing more up than giving me nice, big leaves.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Good news is you can plant any time of the year. There are other issues here that are prevalent . You need to make sure the type of Tomato is resistant to tropical sun. Also you will need to keep a close eye on making sure that they are kept humid and i recommend a drip dry system. Too much water is bad as well. I found the cherry tomatoes do quite well. I also have had good results with peppers esp jamaican varieties like scotch bonnet. You need to look out for white fly and certain crickets that eat the stem. ggod luck
    Can you recommend a specific type of tomato that is resistant to the tropical sun? Or should I just get a screen as others have recommended?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy local seeds if you can. There are tropical varieties on Amazon. Some varieties are resistent to whitefly. The cherry tomatoes did well when the drought was on and i watered daily but as soon as it started raining everyday all day they kind of rotted internally. Shame really as i was storing daily jars and jars of the stuff. I also has a brief period where Basel did very well. I buy most of my seeds on Amazon and experiment to see what does well and what does nt. When i see that they do well i cultivate to extract seeds. Hot peppers do well if you have the right variety especially the super hot ones like ghost peppers and muraga scorpions.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Do what many local growers do: make a small greenhouse.

They aren't really greenhouses in the traditional North American sense where heat is retained. They use a white mesh that reflects heat away and minimized damage from the rain.

A mesh "roof" to keep direct sunlight off should work in the summer.

Seeds are easy. If you buy some tomatoes or other veggies that you really like from a store or roadside stand, tasty & juicy, get seeds from them.

10. Likes jstarebel liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My grand who was a Dominican farmer used to fallow El Almanaque de Bristol and las Cabalejas...

I think mid April is the best month in the DR to take advantage of May rain season.

JJ