Planting time.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Mid June is a little late to be putting in a garden in most parts of North America. But what about here? In Miami tomatoes were planted in late November or so. Does anyone know when would be best to plant the common and simple crops in the ground? Tomatoes and peppers as well as lettuce and carrots etc? I am on the north coast if that makes a difference. I have never gone so long in my life without a garden.
Thanks
Der Fish

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Good news is you can plant any time of the year. There are other issues here that are prevalent . You need to make sure the type of Tomato is resistant to tropical sun. Also you will need to keep a close eye on making sure that they are kept humid and i recommend a drip dry system. Too much water is bad as well. I found the cherry tomatoes do quite well. I also have had good results with peppers esp jamaican varieties like scotch bonnet. You need to look out for white fly and certain crickets that eat the stem. ggod luck

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Wow, you can grow tomatoes in the summer here? My peppers grow good year round but lettuses and tomatoes have not fared well in my gardenafter July. maybe I am not planting the right varieties?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
November planting works better for us... too hot otherwise

We cover the newbies with the filter screen protection.

Lettuce doesn't seem to do well past feb or so.... even the local seeds.

Hear that Derf?
Buy local seeds or harvest tomatoe seeds from your own tomatoes.
actually, harvest as many local seeds as you can
our best success comes from that

Senor Green Thumb (not Tom )

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I?ve been growing tomatoes since February and they?re really suffering right now, even with all the water I give them daily. If I could, I?d set up a mesh over them to give them some shade. They were growing fine up to about a month ago. My lettuce grew like crazy, up to a point that it looked more like big weeds than anything else. Ended up pulling it all out. I was growing more up than giving me nice, big leaves.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Good news is you can plant any time of the year. There are other issues here that are prevalent . You need to make sure the type of Tomato is resistant to tropical sun. Also you will need to keep a close eye on making sure that they are kept humid and i recommend a drip dry system. Too much water is bad as well. I found the cherry tomatoes do quite well. I also have had good results with peppers esp jamaican varieties like scotch bonnet. You need to look out for white fly and certain crickets that eat the stem. ggod luck

Can you recommend a specific type of tomato that is resistant to the tropical sun? Or should I just get a screen as others have recommended?

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Buy local seeds if you can. There are tropical varieties on Amazon. Some varieties are resistent to whitefly. The cherry tomatoes did well when the drought was on and i watered daily but as soon as it started raining everyday all day they kind of rotted internally. Shame really as i was storing daily jars and jars of the stuff. I also has a brief period where Basel did very well. I buy most of my seeds on Amazon and experiment to see what does well and what does nt. When i see that they do well i cultivate to extract seeds. Hot peppers do well if you have the right variety especially the super hot ones like ghost peppers and muraga scorpions.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Do what many local growers do: make a small greenhouse.

They aren't really greenhouses in the traditional North American sense where heat is retained. They use a white mesh that reflects heat away and minimized damage from the rain.

A mesh "roof" to keep direct sunlight off should work in the summer.

Seeds are easy. If you buy some tomatoes or other veggies that you really like from a store or roadside stand, tasty & juicy, get seeds from them.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My grand who was a Dominican farmer used to fallow El Almanaque de Bristol and las Cabalejas...

I think mid April is the best month in the DR to take advantage of May rain season.

JJ