T-Mobile Packages

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
After reading here about T-Mobiles international travel plans, I decided to investigate.

Years ago when Carlos Slim owned both Verizon & Claro, life was easy.....
recently, not so much.

T-Mobile's basic plan covers free text, messages and calls for USA, Canada & Mexico.
Data can purchased according to your needs.
My switch to them saved over $100US/Month compared to Verizon and more benefits.

In RD, data, text & messages are free.... calss are 20 cents a minute.

I think the Claro calls are about as much (internation calls)
My 5 1/2 minute call cost me 50 pesos.....

Does anybody know what the Claro calling rates are?

I have a new i-Phone 6....
I set it for Wi-Fi calling and can call USA/Canada for free (except for my Wi-Fi data draw)

Overall , very happy with T-Mobile.
Thanks for the tip - whoever it was that posted all that.

I have 2 lines with 6GB of data each for $70US/month vs almost $200/month at Verizon for much less data and calling features

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Curious to see what data speeds they give you. In Mexico some people reported getting 90mb on Telcel, yet in other countries people say the data is very slow, even on a 4G connection.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
According to their maps there's 3G in most of the DR.

You can test it at speedtest.net/mobile

Feb 7, 2007
My friend in USA now has some new Sprint international unlimited plan, with both data and calls free (within DR and to USA)... not just traveling in DR but around half of the world.

P.S. I think Tmobile uses Viva in the DR and it will not work over 3G, only 2G. My friend had Tmobile before and anywhere he went in DR ha only had G. And he had all-bands phone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My phone registers CLARO 3G.........

I mostly use Wi-Fi calling in the house but am happy to have the alternative.

Two phones now in my pocket - the RD one and the T-Mobile one.
I'll get over it soon enough

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I have T-Mobile and is browsing 72Mpbs on my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and TMO says you will get 200MB free data in DR at 4G/LTE speed, afterwards, you will pay roaming at VIVA's rates. Otherwise, TMO suggested to use WiFi Calling so you will not be billed at all. The only LTE services in DR is Claro and just about it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I guess it depends on your plan.

When I arrived on Saturday They sent me a message

Welcome to Caribbean Island!
Your T-Mobile plan gives you unlimited dataat 2G speeds, calls at 20 cents/min and free texts.
Learn more about data passes at http://bit.ly/250H9WW

That is verbatim from my message.
The HELP desk gave me the same info.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i use tmobile's international data plan all over the world when I am traveling. sometimes my phone registers 3g, 4g and even LTE but in reality the speed is only 2G.
The speed is enough to send text messages on facebook, whatsapp and even lets me send pictures via whatsapp and facebook. the best surprise was, I was able to make whatsapp voice calls on the slow speed. the sound quality was perfect.
Now when I travel, I don't even bother getting a local sim card, I just use my tmobile international data plan. I am included in my brother's family plan in atlanta so I only pay 10 dollars a month to use the line.
I never use tmobile network to make calls as it will cost me 20 cents / minute, besides I don't have a tmobile phone which comes with wifi calling app. I can't use that functionality. No problem. I use google voice with hangout app. I have been making free calls to usa and also receiving calls from usa on my cell when I am on my local data plan in dominican republic or in wifi range. I use claro sim in DR and my google voice phone system works like a charm.
I have not given my tmobile number to anyone because I insist people use my google voice line. it forwards the calls to my tmobile number when I am in usa or to hangout app when I am in DR or in any other country. so I have my google voice always functioning on my cell phone. sort of like having 2 lines in one phone: claro sim and google voice on wifi (data).
so for me, Tmobile is a sure winner with it's international data plan. I was on a cruise in caribbean and I was able to connect to distant islands for free. I actually had free internet on cruise ship.
So the Op can go the route i have taken. stop paying 70 dollars/ month and instead get into a plan with some relative. pay 10 dollars / month and you will get a sim card by tmobile and free international data. now you will be able to use data plan in DR for text messages and whatsapp calls. make free calls and receive calls as well when you are in wifi with google voice. this way you will not use your shared minutes with your host. or use the wifi calling feature of tmobile at night and on weekends when minutes are free anyway.
AZB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
$70/month for our 2 phones
went from $50 to $70 when I added my wife... you are paying the line supplement
not many get that deal

I'm almost as accomplished as you are... not quite, but close.

Thanks for the tios around the system

I need an RD number so will keep my CLARO chip

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I also switched to T-mobile a while back and have been happy with the service. The speed is not that fast in The DR, but it's still nice to have some kind of Internet and free texting. Nowadays I don't even buy a sim card when I visit.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It took me forever to get out of Verizon... they had handcuffs, chains, you name it.

A true morass.... I left on the 10th of a month and they would NOT issue a credit to the account, insisting it was 'pay in advance'

My wife left on the 28th , obviating another mess.

Not ever was one month's equivalent to the last and we constantly corrected them to adjust our billing

Bye Bye Verizon..... w/ apologies to Ann-Margret

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
In my case the one thing I do miss is Sprint's customer service. They are very responsive. T-mobile's customer service is the worst I've experienced so far and I've been with all the major carriers.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have been with T-Mobile for several years too. I switched because of the ability to switch plans (I am no-contract). So, when I am in the DR, the T Mobile phone is on airplane mode, but hangouts gives me calling and texting to the US. I need Claro for a DR number too, but choose to use an older phone for use "in public."

T-Mobile costs me $3.00 a month when I am in the DR and $50 a month when I am in the US. I travel a lot in the US for work, and T-Mobile gives me a mobile hotspot included in that $50 for when I need to connect a device and don't want to use public wifi.

My customer service experience with them is that it is much better to go into a store than to try calling their CS people. Every time I have gone into a T-Mobile store with a problem, they have been great.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
If you travel internationally more than once a year it makes sense to use T-Mobile. The free data for driving around and using GPS makes it worth it.
Sprint now offers the same service for free as well.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
We too use T-Mobile, enjoy the free Data & Texting internationally. And to add we think the CS @ T-Mobile is fine I had to call them several times in one week, from questions on bills, to warranty issues,and finally connectivity issues, which Tech support helped us.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sprint's service is now even better than T-Mobiles... includes 3G/4G data and free calling within the foreign country and back to the USA.

T_Mobile is by far faster than Sprint in data and since Sprint has very little low frequency in the US inside building coverage is very poor. And I have two lines with 6GB of data each with rollover data for $70. Sprint does not have any deal that cheap