Air conditioning

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Many of us have learned to live without what we felt was essential back where it was needed less time of the year than here. I, for the first time in 5 years here, have decided that I do need a/c. I rented an apartment last November that has a split unit in the bedroom, but we hardly turned it on until a month ago when I was dripping sweat off my elbows sitting playing at my computer. I moved the desk computer and all into the bedroom and turned on the a/c at 28 degrees c. I toggle between that and 27, depending if I feel too hot or not. My bills had fluctuated between 940 and 1220, averaging just under 1100 for the 6 months without using the Air. Today the bill came for the month of using it and it is 2006 pesos. about 30 pesos per day. Well worth it for me.
Der Fish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
What type A/C are you using? LG makes the best for energy consumption.

The name plate says Excell or maybe Excelt. It is way up high and my eyes are 70 years old along with the rest of me! It is old, but has no controls on it only a remote, which comes "unprogrammed" every once in a while and one has to find the code and reprogram it.
Der Fish

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Excell puts their name on other brands. I've got it and for the life of me, I cannot find the damned code to use with my replacement AC remote. Stumbled across one that turns it on and off, but no temp control.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Excell puts their name on other brands. I've got it and for the life of me, I cannot find the damned code to use with my replacement AC remote. Stumbled across one that turns it on and off, but no temp control.

I don't know jack about it either. There is this Haitan that the landlady sent me to. Don't know where he learned such things, but he looked stuff on the internet in French since he has zero Englisha dn very little Spanish beyond "buenas" as a greeting.
Even when he discovers the new code I cannot figure out where and how to install it into the generic Universal A/C remote. He charges 200 pesos and i gladly pay up.
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Summers are getting hotter and hotter it seams. I've always resisted to install air conditioning downstairs but it's really not manageable. Bought two last week, one was installed yesterday and it's excellent! Friday they'll install the second unit, I have no idea what my electricity bill will do, but 30 peso's a day is worth It and 200 peso's per day as well.

Jan 7, 2016
Our apartment in Bavaro has 3 split units, 1-18,000 btu in the living-dining-kitchen space and 2-12,000 btu units in the the two bedrooms. We always sleep with the ac unit in the MBR on at 23c for the night and it provides ambient noise to drown-out the local din that accompanies the all-inclusive resorts. Our bill here has never been over 4,000 DP for the entire time we've owned the place and that compare with $250-300 US per month for our condo in Tennessee during the summer months. Find that the rates here and level of comfort provided are greatly more reasonable than in the U.S.