Orange and red propane cylinders

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
What's the difference (apart from the color) between the yellow and red propane cylinders? Yellow ones have tropigas on them but I don't see any other difference.

Cheers
Roy

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
You can buy the orange ones at your hardware store.

if you agree to a contract with Tropigas in Santo Domingo, you buy a new (orange cylinder) and they come to your property and exchange the new cylinder for a gas full silver painted Tropigas cylinder. They take your new cylinder away in exchange and paint it silver too.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You can buy the orange ones at your hardware store.

if you agree to a contract with Tropigas in Santo Domingo, you buy a new (orange cylinder) and they come to your property and exchange the new cylinder for a gas full silver painted Tropigas cylinder. They take your new cylinder away in exchange and paint it silver too.

Or if you agree to a contract with them they will supply the cylinder I believe and save you un mil pesos.
Der Fish

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
OK, I asked because the local hardware store is selling orange ones and also has a batch of yellow ones which are slightly cheaper. Like I said, the only difference I can see is a slight variation in size and a Tropigas sticker on the side.

I suppose the real question is 'can I get the yellow one filled the same as an orange one?'

Roy

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
OK, I asked because the local hardware store is selling orange ones and also has a batch of yellow ones which are slightly cheaper. Like I said, the only difference I can see is a slight variation in size and a Tropigas sticker on the side.

I suppose the real question is 'can I get the yellow one filled the same as an orange one?'

Roy

Yes.

message too short..

Yes

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Yes.

message too short..

Yes

Seems to be a diffrence in quality of metal used. I have 2 same age one orange outher kinda blue black. Blue black is like new. Orange has rusted off the base twice. Going to junk the orange and look for Blue black!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I haven't needed to purchase a propane tank here so I haven't looked myself. You should find stamped into the valve guard some identifying information from which you can determine the manufacturer, the capacity and maybe the wall thickness. Any certifications the manufacturer has obtained will be noted here as well.

I'm sure not all tanks are created equal and if yours will be in full sun for any portion of the day, skimping to save a few hundred pesos may not a prudent decision. Look for the numbers on your smaller BBQ tank if you have an imported one and start from there. I'm not sure that color has any bearing on quality or anything else.

At home, certification standards are in place to protect the consumer, here...who knows, I certainly don't.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I have seven large orange tanks and never a problem. But having them replaced - runs house and pool (yes I have a heated pool for clients) - is costly esp when house is rented. A new service has started here (Sosua/Cabarete) where the company installs a large tank and check it weekly and have a truck gas it up when needed. Drops cost by more than 50%. I just did it!

They install the system for free (including the tank) and for me a no-brainer. I just pay for the re-fill of gas when needed. I have their number is interested and also have 7 large tanks for sell, DR1 discount of course :)

singletravel

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have two orange tanks. Just finished refilling one. I am weary of strapping it to the ATV and heading out to refill it. When you have a moment, would you please send me a PM with company name, address (if they have one) and a phone number.

Thx.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have two orange tanks. Just finished refilling one. I am weary of strapping it to the ATV and heading out to refill it. When you have a moment, would you please send me a PM with company name, address (if they have one) and a phone number.

Thx.

Depends on where in the Republic you are located. Start with that info and I can check for you locally if your local is near mine.
Der fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I live just outside the western gate to the North Coast's Den of Iniquity. I make sport of following j&t's future around all day, they just don't know it yet.

dinosinc

Mar 3, 2016
question

I have seven large orange tanks and never a problem. But having them replaced - runs house and pool (yes I have a heated pool for clients) - is costly esp when house is rented. A new service has started here (Sosua/Cabarete) where the company installs a large tank and check it weekly and have a truck gas it up when needed. Drops cost by more than 50%. I just did it!

They install the system for free (including the tank) and for me a no-brainer. I just pay for the re-fill of gas when needed. I have their number is interested and also have 7 large tanks for sell, DR1 discount of course :)

singletravel[/QUOTE

What is the name of the company ?

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
why not buy the opaque fibreglass tanks, they are lighter & you can see how much gas you have left

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
why not buy the opaque fibreglass tanks, they are lighter & you can see how much gas you have left

Have you seen those for sale here in the DR? If buying from the USA you will need to certify that the tank is empty and flushed of vapor before it can be placed on a plane to get here.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
Have you seen those for sale here in the DR? If buying from the USA you will need to certify that the tank is empty and flushed of vapor before it can be placed on a plane to get here.

they had some in linares in cabarete a while back, so they must be available here.