This seemed to be a logical way to prevent mosquito problems

Aug 6, 2006
https://www.amazon.com/Zika-Virus-M...&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=mosquito+net+for+fan

I bought a couple of these to use in Barahona, where some neighbors caught the Zika virus, and at least one girl got very sick.

They seem to be one of Andy Graham, the Hobo Traveler's ideas, but it sounds like it might decrease the possibility of mosquito bites.

The house in Barahona has no real way of screening out mosquitoes: the windows are metal jalousies and there is a 5" space between the roof and the walls.

There is almost always a pretty strong breeze, so mosquitoes are not all that common, but once they are indoors, sucking them into a net seems better than letting them flit about.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The price seems excessive. Take a corner of that screen cloth to any sastre here in the DR and get a quote to make them,and then put an ad on DR1 here and see them get snapped up!

Aug 6, 2006
Derfish: The price seems excessive. Take a corner of that screen cloth to any sastre here in the DR and get a quote to make them,and then put an ad on DR1 here and see them get snapped up!
I agree that this costs too much compared with what it must cost to make.
I am thinking of looking for someone to duplicate the net once I see how is made.

Still, if it prevents anyone from having to be hospitalized because of Zika, it will be worth the price.

No one else sells these. I have nothing against Andy. Nor am I shilling for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
What would work a LOT better is the Old ZAPPERS with the neon tubes..

The only reason they went out of favor years ago, is that they were marketed for Outdoor use, place on 4 corners, and they would keep Mosquitoes out of that Square you and your family was in.
unfortunately it also attracted mosquitoes from a mile away as well, and soon enough your backyard was the only one infested, and your neighbors had less mosquitoes than you did..

However the same Zapper used indoors, and they are safe.. just plug in.. and as long as the light is not visible from the outside of the house, they WILL kill every mosquito inside and keep them away from you as well..

Why there are not used more in the DR i do not know.
I assume its because Electricity is shut off at around midnight in the Barrios , so unless you have alternate power or battery ..

Aug 6, 2006
I assume its because Electricity is shut off at around midnight in the Barrios , so unless you have alternate power or battery ..

That I deem to be a safe bet. I have seen exactly ONE bug zapper in Barahona, in a restaurant along the Malecon. It was not turned on because there was a strong breeze that evening.
It was somewhat kind of God to make mosquitoes so light and spindly. Still, they are probably his worst mistake. Guinea worms and elephantiasis are more disgusting, but kill far fewer.

I will think about a bug zapper as well.

The lights come on in Barrio Palmerito at around 8PM and go off around 5 AM. I doubt they use a lot of juice.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
We used to use them upstate NY with much success, indoors only as I said, to CLEAR the house when someone left the screen door open..
they work flawlessly in that regard..

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
What would work a LOT better is the Old ZAPPERS with the neon tubes..

The only reason they went out of favor years ago, is that they were marketed for Outdoor use, place on 4 corners, and they would keep Mosquitoes out of that Square you and your family was in.
unfortunately it also attracted mosquitoes from a mile away as well, and soon enough your backyard was the only one infested, and your neighbors had less mosquitoes than you did..

However the same Zapper used indoors, and they are safe.. just plug in.. and as long as the light is not visible from the outside of the house, they WILL kill every mosquito inside and keep them away from you as well..

Why there are not used more in the DR i do not know.

Last summer I worked at Walmart in Crossville Tenn. and in the lawn and garden department we sold a tennis racket looking thing that was supposed to be good for clearing mosquitoes from an area. People asked me how they worked, and I'd pick one up and wave it around and say they work pretty good, don't see any mosquitoes here do you. They sold a lot of them. Some people bought 3 or 4 at a time for fishing trips etc.
Don't even remember what they were called nor their brand name.
Der Fish

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Yes, the racket is a later idea, but the original bug Zapper concept is just to hang it or place it on a table, and it works all on its own. zero effort.

the zap sound becomes music to your , you can even sleep with it on, as it becomes like white soothing noise.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have an indoor bug zapper. Works well provided it is placed in a location that is not influenced by a fan. Bugs don't like the air turbulence. When I need food to feed the anoles living in the palapa roof, I turn it on outside after dusk for an hour or two and then place a bunch of zapped bugs at the palapa the next morning. The lizards gobble them up.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
We used to use them upstate NY with much success, indoors only as I said, to CLEAR the house when someone left the screen door open..
they work flawlessly in that regard..

Sounds like my sister's yard in Maine. She had Japanese beetles in her yard on the grape arbor and other places,so we hung some dead beetle bags in her yard and the number of those damn beetles increased by the hundreds, but talking to the neighbors, nobody else had any anymore.
Der Fish