Tipping

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
Just curious. How much do YOU tip the grocery bagger and colmodo delivery person? What other services do you tip for and how much (ie. barber, taxi, motoconcho, waitress...)?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The waitress doesn't expect a tip at local eating places. Fancy ones oriented to gringos, yes. My lady's daughter runs a cash register at a local super market and she tells me that the bag boys work like strippers, i. e. only for tips. They bag all day for free, it is only when you allow them to carry out your groceries and tip them that they get any money, so from the day I heard that I upped my tip from 10 or 15 pesos to 25 to 30.

The kid that carries my 5 gallon jug of water a block from the colmado and up to the second floor gets 50 pesos.Barber and taxi and moto concho guy, no I pay them what I negotiate with them and let it go.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I tip the Colmado guy who brings the water or coke, maybe 10 or 20 pesos. But Dominicans often don't I think.

In restaurants I think the majority tips, just not as generous as Americans would. Personally I round it upwards.

Grocery bagger, if I let him bring the stuff to my car between 20 and 50, depending on hoy many products, my mood and what change I have on me.

I don't tip the barber but give 50 or 100 pesos to the lady that washes my hair before and after.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
at the caf? ...I normally get two caf? con leches and two croissants...it comes to 450 approx...I give 150 tip
the bag boy at the super market ..if he just bags the goods 100 ...if he brings to the car 150-200 depending on how many bags
the barber I give 100
at a good restaurant ..if service is good and the server is pleasant ...normally 10% to 15% of the bill
I worked as a bartender for years and I now have two bars in new York ...so I know what it is to work for tips and I believe in being on the generous side ....but if service is bad or after a number of visits I don't get the service I expect ...then the tip is reduced considerably ...if not removed altogether

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Just curious. How much do YOU tip the grocery bagger and colmodo delivery person? What other services do you tip for and how much (ie. barber, taxi, motoconcho, waitress...)?

J?sus Marie Joseph.... Andrea, I don't think you have what it takes to live here.... You don't seem to get the feel of this place... Always getting f***ed, beaten, screwed, in troubles and now, asking how much tip to give ???

Gimme a break... You tip what you can or what you want... that's it, that's all... You won't get in any more troubles that you were or are already.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
J?sus Marie Joseph.... Andrea, I don't think you have what it takes to live here.... You don't seem to get the feel of this place... Always getting f***ed, beaten, screwed, in troubles and now, asking how much tip to give ???

Gimme a break... You tip what you can or what you want... that's it, that's all... You won't get in any more troubles that you were or are already.

Kick 'em when they are down Lisa? Better late than never to learn the ropes.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
at the caf? ...I normally get two caf? con leches and two croissants...it comes to 450 approx...I give 150 tip
the bag boy at the super market ..if he just bags the goods 100 ...if he brings to the car 150-200 depending on how many bags
the barber I give 100
at a good restaurant ..if service is good and the server is pleasant ...normally 10% to 15% of the bill
I worked as a bartender for years and I now have two bars in new York ...so I know what it is to work for tips and I believe in being on the generous side ....but if service is bad or after a number of visits I don't get the service I expect ...then the tip is reduced considerably ...if not removed altogether

Holy ****....I'll pack your groceries!!!! Never heard anybody tipping that much. Good for you.

I think it is A VERY FAIR question to ask. most have no idea the baggers don't make any money other than tips etc... It's way different in Canada than here for tipping.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
That's why I said to tip what she can or want... As you can see by the answers, the range of tip amounts is very wide... From 10 pesos to 200 pesos.... So....

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I tip the Colmado guy who brings the water or coke, maybe 10 or 20 pesos. But Dominicans often don't I think.

In restaurants I think the majority tips, just not as generous as Americans would. Personally I round it upwards.

Grocery bagger, if I let him bring the stuff to my car between 20 and 50, depending on hoy many products, my mood and what change I have on me.

I don't tip the barber but give 50 or 100 pesos to the lady that washes my hair before and after.

Last time I got a hair cut in Santiago during my 2014 vacation I gave a RD $500 bill to my barber over.

That's why everybody in DR have a dream to migrate...

JJ

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
There is no law here.Even for treason and murder, and you want to know how much to tip a worker?

Whatever you feel like giving, from zero to hero.It's all good..

Feb 7, 2007
at the caf? ...I normally get two caf? con leches and two croissants...it comes to 450 approx...I give 150 tip 30????
the bag boy at the super market ..if he just bags the goods 100 ...if he brings to the car 150-200 depending on how many bags WTF?????

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Last time I got a hair cut in Santiago during my 2014 vacation I gave a RD $500 bill to my barber over.

That's why everybody in DR have a dream to migrate...

JJ

they all think money grows on trees in Nueba Yol when you do something like that. then they go to the USA and they cannot afford a haircut.

I think Irishpaddy's overtipping is refreshing! Never seen so many cheap people in my life until Sosua! Those bagboys deserve more than 10 pesos in my opinion, they could be getting into trouble doing nothing but at least they are working at a young age!! We all have our soft spots...
I did laugh yesterday when I saw a group of Americans give a bagboy $5US.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
they all think money grows on trees in Nueba Yol when you do something like that. then they go to the USA and they cannot afford a haircut.

This is why I think that where ever you go, even if you receive good service and want to give a generous tip, it should be important to the rate and the tip to be in line with the local market rates.

I think the work done loses a bit of it?s value if you pay multiple times the usually charged rate.

To the tip amounts; In POP, grocery bagger + delivery 50 pesos (delivery to outside must be included), colmado delivery we don?t use, barber 50-100 pesos (varies), motoconcho (regular) on occasion 10-25 pesos and taxi no tip (fixed fare with occasional discount for being regular).

Restaurant, usually roughly 10 %, once we left nothing as both of us got sick of stomach almost immediately after eating a pasta meal in Cabarete we had to return the order once as they completely screwed up what we ordered - we haven?t returned...

The most lenient we?re with the guys at Jose Luis Supermercado, I have always found the service there top notch, the guys are friendly and do their job better than I would expect. They are usually also aware of which bag contains eggs or vegetables, and take care of themselves on how to place the bags in the vehicle.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is why I think that where ever you go, even if you receive good service and want to give a generous tip, it should be important to the rate and the tip to be in line with the local market rates.

I think the work done loses a bit of it?s value if you pay multiple times the usually charged rate.

To the tip amounts; In POP, grocery bagger + delivery 50 pesos (delivery to outside must be included), colmado delivery we don?t use, barber 50-100 pesos (varies), motoconcho (regular) on occasion 10-25 pesos and taxi no tip (fixed fare with occasional discount for being regular).

Restaurant, usually roughly 10 %, once we left nothing as both of us got sick of stomach almost immediately after eating a pasta meal in Cabarete we had to return the order once as they completely screwed up what we ordered - we haven?t returned...

The most lenient we?re with the guys at Jose Luis Supermercado, I have always found the service there top notch, the guys are friendly and do their job better than I would expect. They are usually also aware of which bag contains eggs or vegetables, and take care of themselves on how to place the bags in the vehicle.

i do not understand tipping a barber 100 pesos. that is what he charges for a haircut. with a shave, 150.

unless you guys are paying strange numbers for haircuts..

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
barber 50-100 pesos (varies), motoconcho (regular) on occasion 10-25 pesos and taxi no tip (fixed fare with occasional discount for being regular).

Restaurant, usually roughly 10 %,

Have never understood tipping the Barber. He charges a price for his work, and I pay it. no different than buying a can of beans. Same for the Moto, taxi. I do tip the bagboy an the colmado.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I agree on the barber. Mine is expensive for Dominican standards, charges what an average barber in he Netherlands would charge. I've never given him a tip, he's his own boss anyway. The girl that washes my hair, I do give her something.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
i do not understand tipping a barber 100 pesos. that is what he charges for a haircut. with a shave, 150.

unless you guys are paying strange numbers for haircuts..

100 pesos was in fact only once...

Yes, I agree that he has his rates, and I didn?t use to tip anyone in the past, but I have an exception with him, due to the fact that he always makes sure that the cut is how I?m used to it, and really makes a good job in general. That?s not even nearly always the case even where I come from. He charges 100 pesos for haircut, 50 additional for the beard, so with 50 additional it comes to 200 pesos, and I have witnessed quite a few times other guys giving him a bit extra as well.

I partly disagree that you can purely compare a barber with a driver, as almost any person can take you from A to B, but giving a good haircut relatively fast does take a skill/classes. It also takes some "eye" to see what looks perfect on someone... Same with beard...