Percentage of tourists

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Just to settle an argumkent with the verbose Scott, does anyone have figures for tourism to the DR (What % from what country)?

Scott states and staunchly defends his "knowledge" that only 15% are "Americans," ( I believe he means US citizens), but a breakdown would be nice

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
It was 15% when

janice,

jazzdunk is right. the majority of the tourists in dr come from europe and latin america.

the dominican government is trying hard to lure in american and british tourists.

maybe one day we will play cricket on the santo domingo malecon!!

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Pretty certain about DR1's post

I'm quite certain I read on DR1 that tourism percentages were US, Canada, Germany than others, I may have been reading another board, but I believe the US was much higher than 15%.

I tried searching the archives to no avail!

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Thank you Dolores

"Central Bank statistics show that of the total arrivals in 2001 (2,294,121) 666,290 were United States citizens. This is 29% of the total foreign arrivals. Of that percentage, one could say about 4% are of Dominican origin, either citizens or offspring of Dominicans, so they will continue to visit the DR. Thus it would be safe to estimate that the DR is receiving about 25% of its leisure and business travelers from the US. "

From Dolores at DR1, 1/4 of the tourists that visit the DR are from US

Janice

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
The Rare American

I would think that 15 percent from the States is actually kind of high. I don't run into many Americans but then again, I've never been to a resort. I sure don't encounter many on the streets though.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Thank you Dolores

Janice said:
"Central Bank statistics show that of the total arrivals in 2001 (2,294,121) 666,290 were United States citizens. This is 29% of the total foreign arrivals. Of that percentage, one could say about 4% are of Dominican origin, either citizens or offspring of Dominicans, so they will continue to visit the DR. Thus it would be safe to estimate that the DR is receiving about 25% of its leisure and business travelers from the US. "

From Dolores at DR1, 1/4 of the tourists that visit the DR are from US

Janice

Thats crap. Ever fly from the US to DR? ALL DOMINICANS for heavens sake. What percentage of the flights from Canada and Europe are Dominicans?

I don't know the answer to the question but I would bet few. Just go to just about any sight regarding info on DR and you will see that I am right and of course you are wrong.

Really stinks to take an opinion that is wrong and then try to insult people while you argue with them?

Scott

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
I'll trust the Central bank

jazzcom said:
http://www.thedominicanrepublic.net/CaribbeanRetirement.html

With about 2 minutes of my time I have a web site that says "Less than 20% of the tourists come from the US"

I can find you 14% if you insist.

Scott

It really upsets you to find you are incorrect, why not be a man and admit you spoke before you thought, or just pulled an arbritray figure from your head?

You post a website with information from 1998, a lot has happened in 4 years

Scott, it's OK to be wrong, to admit it seems to be your downfall, and anger does nothing to mitigate your mistake or support your false presumption

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
No opinion, fact on my part

"Really stinks to take an opinion that is wrong and then try to insult people while you argue with them? "

Yes Scott, you should not insult people, especially when you are using your personal opinion to make an argument.

try finding facts before you again assert an erroneous argument

I think Dolores and the Central Bank of the DR are far more credible than your personal opinion

Notice how few come from South America (You stated the majority when in fact it is only 1/3 that of the US).

Just because you see fewer Americans in your travels does not mean they are not there. And don't forget those "Dominicans" you see on the flights may very well be US Citizens

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Tourists from the US...

Source:

The Dominican Hotel Survey, 1996 annual survey

This is what the "Federation of European Chambers of Commerce in the Dominican Republic" use for their report "Doing Business in the Dominican Republic".

figures are for 1995:

Of total amount of tourists:

- European nationals: 63.8%
- USA: 11.3%
- Canada: 11.2%
- Other Caribbean countries: 7.3%
- Latin America: 5.1%
- Others: 1.3%

Sorry, don't have anything more recent.

Alain

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
You must be kidding

jazzcom said:
http://www.thedominicanrepublic.net/CaribbeanRetirement.html

With about 2 minutes of my time I have a web site that says "Less than 20% of the tourists come from the US"

I can find you 14% if you insist.

Scott

You base your assertions on a webpage from John Schroder of Ascot Advisory, the same company that wants to sell you Beachfront property in Santo domingo, the same company that advises the DR is a "Tax haven" for US investmenst as they do not report to US banks (Wrong on all counts)

And since you offer, YES I insist you find an undisputeable reference for less than 14% of visitors to the DR being US Citizens. To do so, you must refute the findings of the Dominican Central Bank, DR1 (The largest online tourism info on the DR) and who knows what else

If you can't establish a groundwork for your argument by referencing reliable sources as I have, please don't bother with sites containing Realtors, investment brokers or your personal observations

Scott, try www.artbell.com, he often is more reliable

Last edited:

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Re: Tourists from the US...

Alain said:
Source:

The Dominican Hotel Survey, 1996 annual survey

This is what the "Federation of European Chambers of Commerce in the Dominican Republic" use for their report "Doing Business in the Dominican Republic".

figures are for 1995:

Of total amount of tourists:

- European nationals: 63.8%
- USA: 11.3%
- Canada: 11.2%
- Other Caribbean countries: 7.3%
- Latin America: 5.1%
- Others: 1.3%

Seems terribly contradictory and unreliable. What is the link to this reference?

They don't even make reference to South America, very unplausible

Sorry, don't have anything more recent.

Alain

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just from glancing thru this, I think I might see where there is a flaw.

Please remember that folks from our neighbor to the right, ie., Puerto Rico are americans. And they flock to the DR. there are thousands of folks from Puerto Rico here all the time.

this could raise the number of Americans arriving to what Dolores has posted.

It's a thought.

HB

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Just from glancing thru this, I think I might see where there is a flaw.

Please remember that folks from our neighbor to the right, ie., Puerto Rico are americans. And they flock to the DR. there are thousands of folks from Puerto Rico here all the time.

this could raise the number of Americans arriving to what Dolores has posted.

It's a thought.

HB

I trust Puerto Ricans are still US Citizens? :)

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly you are my man . I was wondering what is this BS all about
untill I hit your post and now I can't stop laughing. Cool man. X

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
True story.

Last August, after more than a 12 year absence, wife and I decided to go to the beach. In this case the DR.

Sooo, there we go to our friendly travel agency to make reservations for POP, a place where we had been before.
When we asked politely for reservations for POP, the travel agent exclaimed... "I can't remember the last time a booked anybody to go to that place...I think is ran down...If you want, I can make arrangements for PUJ.. that's where we send everybody!"

Well, I did not know PUJ existed, so I told her to make the reservations and in a couple of days I'd let her know of our decision.
After that, I frantically looked all over the net for info on PUJ, which is how I came across DR1 and Debbys sites, and after looking at all the nice pics we said is a go.

The evening we went to get our tickets there was another couple we knew trying to book a week to any nice beach in the Caribbean. We talked them into going to the same place we were going, but after they finished making the arrangements we found out they were sent to Aruba. Go figure.

They don't run too many newspaper ads about the DR around here, the Mid-Atlantic region, and most times there are none.
The fact is that Americans have too many places they can choose from, and the ones that travel to the DR are probably just a bunch of renegades.
Incidentally, I have a US passport but when I arrive in the DR I'm always given a Dominican form to fill-in. I'm not considered a gringo.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: You must be kidding

Reply:

Have you ever flown on a plane from JFK to POP? 95 percent are Dominicans. Now of course you will argue 95% with me and ask for undisputeable numbers which of course I wouldnt even bother trying to provide. That is my biggest bone of contention. Of the 29% I would argue that more than half are Dominican.

I have met many Dominicans on these planes. I have befriended many. Last trip down I met a fellow who was a limosine driver in NY who is also a chicken farmer in Santiago. He used his American Passport to get into the country but didnt think he had to pay the 10 bux to get in which he didn't by the way.

This discussion is about Cuba and its taking away of the tourist dollars from DR when US allows people to travel to Cuba. My statement is that it wouldnt crush them as you referenced maybe in other words.

Out of the 25% you ASSUME of the business and leisure travelers from the US YOU CAN'T ASSUME THAT these people are going to Cuba. I would wager that of these 10% are Dominicans and that only leaves you with 15% like I said to begin with.

The Hotel records that show under 12% may be more correct even though it is an old record. Most Dominicans stay with family when they visit.

That is my argument.