getting electicity and wifi

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have recently bought an apt in santo domingo and will be arriving soon to pick up keys...can anyone advise me on what I need and who I should contact regarding getting electricity turned on in the apt and also about getting wifi
thanks in advance

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Electricity: go with your contract to the office of edesur that's most near (or edeeste depending on the sector) and your cedula, they'll let you fill a form that says what you have in your apartment, based on that they calculate your consumption and what guarantee you need to leave behind. One or two days later they should be connecting you.

Wifi. Go to Claro and contract an Internet plan, it will come with a wifi router. You'll need a cedula and maybe a guarantor, or if you have a credit history in the country you should be fine.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Electricity: go with your contract to the office of edesur that's most near (or edeeste depending on the sector) and your cedula, they'll let you fill a form that says what you have in your apartment, based on that they calculate your consumption and what guarantee you need to leave behind. One or two days later they should be connecting you.

Wifi. Go to Claro and contract an Internet plan, it will come with a wifi router. You'll need a cedula and maybe a guarantor, or if you have a credit history in the country you should be fine.

I had to go to the Edesur office as map below to register as a new user:

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...8a31f0c07a0d7d!8m2!3d18.4794971!4d-69.9278712

If you don't have a credit history, a DR credit card or a job in DR, Claro will likely be a problem so you can try Tricom where you can start with a Standard plan without hassle and upgrade after 3 months. by the way the Tricom technicians connected me the following day with minimum of fuss and I was so pleased but they categorically refused a tip.

As for Edesur, the g/f chased them and gave them a few harsh words and the power was on before we moved in or signed a contract and again without any tip whatsoever.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I do not have a cedula and do not work in the d.r....although my lawyer will be working on the temp residency once I get the title to my apt. I have no bank account or Dominican credit card ...the apartment is for vacations
will I be able to get electricity turned on with my u.s. passport and with an American credit card or what is the best and easiest way to work this ?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
When I moved here nearly six years ago I had no problems getting electricity and cable with no cedula - just a foreign passport. I doubt it has changed. They will want a deposit which you can pay in cash. Not sure about paying by US credit card.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
I moved to Santiago a little over a year ago. No trouble getting power with EDENORTE using a US passport. There was a deposit, which IIRC was about 3,000 pesos. I have TRICOM for landline/TV/internet also. Same, except I don't think I even had to give them a deposit.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
You said "bought" or did you mean renting? When I rented in the DR there
was a caretaker for the building; the utilities were in his name. I left it that
way; when I was not in residence I left a credit for the power/water/internet.
Worked well for me as, like you, I had no DR credentials.