2012 Toyota 4runner vs Ford Explorer 2012

Jan 9, 2004
Which one and why?

Any input appreciated. Thank you!

If you want a truck ride it's the 4 runner, if you want a car ride it's the Explorer.

Overall though, it's the Toyota that is the better vehicle.....reliability, resale, repair.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I like something bigger than my Tucson soon. Had it in for repair for a over a week (some idiot crashed into my back, again...). Had a rental car for ten days, a Nissan Navara and boy, what a difference of a ride compared to the Tucson. So, if it is for me, my next car would be a NN. But, my better half is not so happy with the camioneta idea... So I've thought, the 4runner or the Explorer then.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
How so? Looks like a great car to me.

To me too, but she says it's less vehicle than the explorer she had before. Transmission acts up now and then. Less comfortable apparently. I'll ask if you want what the exact complains are that she has.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My vote, especially in this country, goes with the 4Runner. My ex boss had one and the several times I drove it I loved it. Never had any problems with it either.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
If you want to sleep comfortable buy the Explorer, car thief in DR are looking for Toyota...

JJ

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
If you want to sleep comfortable buy the Explorer, car thief in DR are looking for Toyota...

JJ

This is very true. American vehicles are cheaper to purchase and I think that this offsets any additional part related costs in the future. If you are here for a while and dont have to sell in the next 2-5 years a well maintained Explorer would be a pretty good choice.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Any part for Explorer is available online and parts are really cheap if compare to 4Runner. I have never heard about any American vehicle stolen in DR... Japanese are stolen every day to sell them for parts.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
This is very true. American vehicles are cheaper to purchase and I think that this offsets any additional part related costs in the future. If you are here for a while and dont have to sell in the next 2-5 years a well maintained Explorer would be a pretty good choice.

My in-lows imported a 1998 Toyota Runner to DR from the US (moving car) both retirees living on SS in Santiago where
they are original from...
After many years of well maintenance and good care this vehicle finally got stolen last year.

That truck was in new condition, garage kept all time!

JJ

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
If you want a truck ride it's the 4 runner, if you want a car ride it's the Explorer.

Overall though, it's the Toyota that is the better vehicle.....reliability, resale, repair.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Toyota all the way, thats why most vehicles in DR are TOYOTA............Doc

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
See if you can locate a Toyota hilux surf ,it's actually aa 4 runner with a diesel engine mostly sold in Australia, very heavy duty, I had one , great vehicle.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Currently I own two vehicles, a Toyota Camry and a Dodge Caravan... When I put my hands on the
steering wheel of the Toyota I can feel the difference...

Toyota is the best car ever!

JJ

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Go for the toyota meng! Matter of fact, if you like more of a real truck chassis, go for the fj cruiser. Fj cruiser was build by truck builders, so chassis are very tight!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Still trying to make my mind up.
At the moment I am checking out:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland 2012 - 2014 and BMW X5 2012.

Any input / opinions about these?