Kids pounding for nuts driving me nuts..

May 29, 2006
The neighbors have some big tree that is producing thousands of reddish drupes and the kids spend
hours bashing them open with rocks all day. Me esposa said the nuts are almendra but I must
be getting the spelling wrong bc nothing like on google.. a bit bigger than apricot pits.. what are they?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Almond tree fruit

indianalmond2.jpg

Getting the nut (seed) from the almond fruit is a time consuming PITA and 2 hours of breaking the outer fruit and inner shell to retrieve the nut will only yield a small bowl. Thank goodness commercial growers have machines for that.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
The neighbors have some big tree that is producing thousands of reddish drupes and the kids spend
hours bashing them open with rocks all day. Me esposa said the nuts are almendra but I must
be getting the spelling wrong bc nothing like on google.. a bit bigger than apricot pits.. what are they?

They are kind of almonds as well. Delicious and very tasty. The outer skin, pulp, when ripe and dark pink, can be chewed for the juice. Should not be swallowed. I think here they do not know much about how to make use of fruits and vegetables. They do not even know to cook the drum stucks. Moringa vegetable.

May 29, 2006
Yeah we used to get "unshelled" almonds when I was a kid and the husk wasn't thick at all. I have to shew the kids away at least once a day once they start pounding, and they leave a huge mess.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
By making an example of one of the kids you will protect yourself from future problems. They simply dont know how to act at all. They will repsect a hard hand

May 29, 2006
I give them a warning then toss some ice water on them if they don't move on. It's not their house and I'm working five feet away from them. Surprizingly effective.

May 29, 2006
One of the neighbors caught a kid(not his) playing on his moto. He made the kid kneel upright on some concrete for a half an hour while he stood over him. That's not a territory I want to get into.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you gotta make the kid kneel not on the concrete but on the pieces of almendra shells.