Incompetance of Government Run Utility

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No, not Edenada, this time it is CORAAPNADA,

Sosua hotels have to pay high water bills

Despite promises made by the management of the water company CORAAPPLATA to the board of the ADSSos?a foundation the water problem remains unsolved in Sos?a. The President of ADSS (la Asociaci?n para el Desarrollo Sostenible Sos?a) had in fact on February 8, 2016 a meeting with the management of the water company CORAAPPLATA. The meeting took place in the conference hall of Casa Marina Resort in Sos?a. The president of the Association of Hotels and Restaurants of Sos?a and Cabarete and the director of Casa Marina were present at this meeting. Large areas of Sos?a were, and still are, deprived of tap water. This is caused by leaks in the supply line of the tap water. The management of the water company promised that very soon all problems should be resolved. But unfortunately, for example in Playa Chiquita several hotels have been deprived of tap water for al long time. They are obliged one to two times per week to have a truck bring in a tank of water, to replenish the water supply.

Some hotels reported that they had almost 180,000 pesos of water bills, just to guarantee their customers a sufficient amount of water. Some hotels invested a lot of money (about 200.00 pesos) for a private water well. But the pumped water turned out to be brackish, so it is unusable for guests of the hotels. The hotel owners are desperate and ask the government for a satisfactory solution of this problem. If this problem of water supply is not resolved soon, some hotels will be forced to close their doors.

Source: Sosua News

June 28, 2016

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
People can overlook a lot of things but when paying for a hotel in the Caribbean they get really mad if they can't take a shower.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Tourists have other options

No, not Edenada, this time it is CORAAPNADA,

Sosua hotels have to pay high water bills

Despite promises made by the management of the water company CORAAPPLATA to the board of the ADSSos?a foundation the water problem remains unsolved in Sos?a. The President of ADSS (la Asociaci?n para el Desarrollo Sostenible Sos?a) had in fact on February 8, 2016 a meeting with the management of the water company CORAAPPLATA. The meeting took place in the conference hall of Casa Marina Resort in Sos?a. The president of the Association of Hotels and Restaurants of Sos?a and Cabarete and the director of Casa Marina were present at this meeting. Large areas of Sos?a were, and still are, deprived of tap water. This is caused by leaks in the supply line of the tap water. The management of the water company promised that very soon all problems should be resolved. But unfortunately, for example in Playa Chiquita several hotels have been deprived of tap water for al long time. They are obliged one to two times per week to have a truck bring in a tank of water, to replenish the water supply.

Some hotels reported that they had almost 180,000 pesos of water bills, just to guarantee their customers a sufficient amount of water. Some hotels invested a lot of money (about 200.00 pesos) for a private water well. But the pumped water turned out to be brackish, so it is unusable for guests of the hotels. The hotel owners are desperate and ask the government for a satisfactory solution of this problem. If this problem of water supply is not resolved soon, some hotels will be forced to close their doors.

Source: Sosua News

June 28, 2016

The DR better wake up soon. Tourists have other choices and the cost of coming to and staying in the Dominican Republic is approaching costs in nicer destinations. Tourism is not to be taken for granted just ask Mexico. Crime, prostitution and high costs has already driven away families from Sosua. Soon the sex tourists will find it too expensive to chase low-life hookers down the new sidewalks. For sure one nice public North Coast beach and a rough ride to Monkey Jungle will not be enough to restore the lifeblood of Sosua, which survives only because of the tourist's cash.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Large areas of Sos?a were, and still are, deprived of tap water.
This is caused by leaks in the supply line of the tap water

Yep, been a water pipe leaking nonstop in front of Four Roses Bar on PC since 2011. I can think of
a few more leaking no stop in Sosua Abajo too.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Yep, been a water pipe leaking nonstop in front of Four Roses Bar on PC since 2011. I can think of
a few more leaking no stop in Sosua Abajo too.

I lived for almost 3 years in Las Caobas in Puerto Plata in a house that was not connected to the water system , presumably because we were higher up on the hill than the water tower, but there was a constant stream of clear water running down the street a block away from us just as high, which I believe was a leaking water line.
Der Fish

Jul 28, 2014
yes, but sosua has more important things on the table, like a project to combat prostitution:
http://noticiaspop.com.do/vladimir-...o-erradicar-prostitucion-e-inseguridad-sosua/

Interesting statement from the article, considering Vladimir "proclaimed that prostitution can not continue to operate in a dispersed manner, but must be in a place where it does not affect family tourism that traditionally went to this destination."

Yet, when places like CMP were doing exactly that, they shut them down, and CMP wasn't close to the core of El Batey???

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting statement from the article, considering Vladimir "proclaimed that prostitution can not continue to operate in a dispersed manner, but must be in a place where it does not affect family tourism that traditionally went to this destination."

Yet, when places like CMP were doing exactly that, they shut them down, and CMP wasn't close to the core of El Batey???

Was CMP owned by a Dominican?

Aug 21, 2007
On the corner of Bologna by Infiniti Blu, which had no water for almost a year, there is a pipe that is leaking and running water down the street. Just 2 blocks away, one of my teachers who lives in a nice Dominican house says that they have not had water for a couple of months. The family shares one bucket for baths.

Inexcusable.

Lindsey

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
On the corner of Bologna by Infiniti Blu, which had no water for almost a year, there is a pipe that is leaking and running water down the street. Just 2 blocks away, one of my teachers who lives in a nice Dominican house says that they have not had water for a couple of months. The family shares one bucket for baths.

Inexcusable.

Lindsey

My ex-girlfriend has been lugging water up three floors in La Union for 5 years now.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Residents across the street at Club Residential could not sleep with their windows open, because of the loud music at CMP. To me CMP being closed is a bonus.
La Passion further down PC did not seem to be a problem as far as I know.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
PLD is a mess, hurt my hart to see on TV news how Dominicans are making lines for three days at passport utility buildings in order to renew
or get a new document...

Probably is because everybody wants to leave the country now, never saw this before.

JJ

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
The DR better wake up soon. Tourists have other choices and the cost of coming to and staying in the Dominican Republic is approaching costs in nicer destinations. Tourism is not to be taken for granted just ask Mexico. Crime, prostitution and high costs has already driven away families from Sosua. Soon the sex tourists will find it too expensive to chase low-life hookers down the new sidewalks. For sure one nice public North Coast beach and a rough ride to Monkey Jungle will not be enough to restore the lifeblood of Sosua, which survives only because of the tourist's cash.

Looking at high season hotel and condo prices in Sosua, I am surprised that people are willing to pay.
Taking into consideration the lack of infrastructure and safety. There are indeed better options for family tourism elsewhere - value for price.

Jul 28, 2014
Looking at high season hotel and condo prices in Sosua, I am surprised that people are willing to pay.
Taking into consideration the lack of infrastructure and safety. There are indeed better options for family tourism elsewhere - value for price.

Unfortunately I have to agree, I stay in Sosua, and for whatever reason, most places keep jacking up their prices and aside from the "flagrant nightlife", there isn't anything there that cant be had in a myriad of other locales

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A repeated theme in the past few days on Detras del Rumor with Fabio Garcia on DR TV is that an official of CORAANADA has a water truck delivery service. Think about it.