Help for retarded

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
My wife's niece is servery retarded and going on 20yrs old. Grand mother is taking care of her,but she is getting
old and unwell. I was asking family ,why not a home for gifted children, reply, she's not gifted, she's retarded,
so much for PC crap.Anyway the fear is the sexual abuse women receive in these home. She is a good looking girl when cleaned up
. She lives in a 4x8 add on
to house and is feed through a hole in the door, like confined to a shu at max security prison. I guess it's better
then being chained to a tree
all day like some are in the compos. Dogs have a better life. Please PM me if you have a suggestion on were to
send her.
I don't want a discussion and read a lot of meaningless crap. If you have anything close to a helpful idea,
please PM me.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
dogstar, ctrob Mustard Seed Communities helps young people with severe handicaps. They're in Cangrejo. I've been trying to find local contact info to no avail. I'll find it tomorrow morning and post it. I'm sorry I don't have the info on hand.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
This type of story is tragic but there will be no happy endings in the DR. I would recommend distancing yourself as much as you can from these tragic circumstances

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The government is just now starting to get organized when it comes to mental health. If I remember correctly, they?ll have 3 new departments in Santo Domingo hospitals. Honestly couldn?t say at what point it is but here?s the link to the government entity dedicated to mental health http://www.msp.gob.do/sobre-dgsm .

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
This type of story is tragic but there will be no happy endings in the DR. I would recommend distancing yourself as much as you can from these tragic circumstances

It would be even better if the op took on the task himself, but I'm not in his shoes. Maybe that's not possible. At least he's working on it.

But doing nothing is not the answer. It's a family member that needs help.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

Distancing himself and let a human being suffer??? Your quite the person aren't you?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Distancing himself and let a human being suffer??? Your quite the person aren't you?

If you read the forums long enough, you'll always figure out who not to invite to dinner...
Ill conceived thoughts and Freudian slips are very revealing.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My wife's niece is servery retarded and going on 20yrs old. Grand mother is taking care of her,but she is getting
old and unwell. I was asking family ,why not a home for gifted children, reply, she's not gifted, she's retarded,
so much for PC crap.Anyway the fear is the sexual abuse women receive in these home. She is a good looking girl when cleaned up
. She lives in a 4x8 add on
to house and is feed through a hole in the door, like confined to a shu at max security prison. I guess it's better
then being chained to a tree
all day like some are in the compos. Dogs have a better life. Please PM me if you have a suggestion on were to
send her.
I don't want a discussion and read a lot of meaningless crap. If you have anything close to a helpful idea,
please PM me.

The term is not gifted, it is special, and I have a special sister. SHe lived with our mother until she was almost 50 and Mom was over 85, at that point sister realized she was bigger than Mom and started pushing her and hitting her. We had to find a better invironment for sister to protect Mom. But that is in Tennessee, not here. i know someone I can ask who may know.
I'll get back to you if I find out anything
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The solution is money. Since you are in the family and seem to be the only one who cares, it's up to you.

Take a video of this person's living conditions, being fed through a hole in the floor and launch a Go Fund Me campaign. Explain that the proceeds will be placed in a trust to provide ongoing care for the rest of this person's life. Identify the accounting firm that will administer this trust so people know you are on the "up and up".

If the video is at all reflective of the horrific conditions this person is living in, people will donate piles of cash. With this money, get this person a proper place to live, hire live in nursing care/living assistant and keep the family away from her.

There is no real societal solution for long term sustainable care available in the DR. It's up to you as you seem to be the only one in the family that sees the current circumstances to be untenable.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Contact Mustard Seed Communities. They help kids with downs syndrome, but I don't know if there's an age cutoff. If they can't help they may know a place that can.
Good luck.

http://www.mustardseed.com/site/PageServer?pagename=about_index

I am a member of the Board of Directors of Mustard Seed in Cangrejo. The children of Mustard Seed (and we have one who is close to twenty years old) have multiple handicaps, both cognitive and physical. However, if you like, I can contact the supervisor in the US to inquire about other options.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
There is no solution other than throwing a lot of money at this situation. The OP is looking for others to take on his responsibilities. This is not food stamp land. If you dont take care of this no one else will.