Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help for retarded

My wife's niece is servery retarded and going on 20yrs old. Grand mother is taking care of her,but she is getting
    old and unwell. I was asking family ,why not a home for gifted children, reply, she's not gifted, she's retarded,
    so much for PC crap.Anyway the fear is the sexual abuse women receive in these home. She is a good looking girl when cleaned up
    . She lives in a 4x8 add on
    to house and is feed through a hole in the door, like confined to a shu at max security prison. I guess it's better
    then being chained to a tree
    all day like some are in the compos. Dogs have a better life. Please PM me if you have a suggestion on were to
    send her.
    I don't want a discussion and read a lot of meaningless crap. If you have anything close to a helpful idea,
    please PM me.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact Mustard Seed Communities. They help kids with downs syndrome, but I don't know if there's an age cutoff. If they can't help they may know a place that can.
    Good luck.

http://www.mustardseed.com/site/Page...me=about_index

3. Likes AnnaC, sosuamatt, Garyexpat liked this post
    Brain Donor!
    Post Thanks / Like

dogstar, ctrob Mustard Seed Communities helps young people with severe handicaps. They're in Cangrejo. I've been trying to find local contact info to no avail. I'll find it tomorrow morning and post it. I'm sorry I don't have the info on hand.

5. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This type of story is tragic but there will be no happy endings in the DR. I would recommend distancing yourself as much as you can from these tragic circumstances

7. Dislikes irishpaddy disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The government is just now starting to get organized when it comes to mental health. If I remember correctly, they´ll have 3 new departments in Santo Domingo hospitals. Honestly couldn´t say at what point it is but here´s the link to the government entity dedicated to mental health http://www.msp.gob.do/sobre-dgsm .

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rfp View Post
    This type of story is tragic but there will be no happy endings in the DR. I would recommend distancing yourself as much as you can from these tragic circumstances
    It would be even better if the op took on the task himself, but I'm not in his shoes. Maybe that's not possible. At least he's working on it.

But doing nothing is not the answer. It's a family member that needs help.

11. Likes KateP, Mauricio, Jaime809, bigbird, irishpaddy and 2 others liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rfp View Post
    Distancing himself and let a human being suffer??? Your quite the person aren't you?

13. Likes Jaime809, bigbird, irishpaddy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    Distancing himself and let a human being suffer??? Your quite the person aren't you?
    If you read the forums long enough, you'll always figure out who not to invite to dinner...
    Ill conceived thoughts and Freudian slips are very revealing.

15. Likes nigrarosa liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogstar View Post
    My wife's niece is servery retarded and going on 20yrs old. Grand mother is taking care of her,but she is getting
    old and unwell. I was asking family ,why not a home for gifted children, reply, she's not gifted, she's retarded,
    so much for PC crap.Anyway the fear is the sexual abuse women receive in these home. She is a good looking girl when cleaned up
    . She lives in a 4x8 add on
    to house and is feed through a hole in the door, like confined to a shu at max security prison. I guess it's better
    then being chained to a tree
    all day like some are in the compos. Dogs have a better life. Please PM me if you have a suggestion on were to
    send her.
    I don't want a discussion and read a lot of meaningless crap. If you have anything close to a helpful idea,
    please PM me.
    The term is not gifted, it is special, and I have a special sister. SHe lived with our mother until she was almost 50 and Mom was over 85, at that point sister realized she was bigger than Mom and started pushing her and hitting her. We had to find a better invironment for sister to protect Mom. But that is in Tennessee, not here. i know someone I can ask who may know.
    I'll get back to you if I find out anything
    Der Fish

17. Likes jd426, Seamonkey liked this post
    Dislikes rfp disliked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast