Anybody imported a car to DR recently? Recommendations?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Can't find it but somewhere was a discussion / thread about it...

Anybody did this and could recommend a company doing this?

Thank you!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Where can I verify how old the car can be to be allowed being imported? Is it 5 years or does the rule not apply?

Are Toyotas for the US market made in the US and would be part of the CAFTA agreement?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It is 5 years - the model year. You can bring in a 2011 until June of 2017. You've missed the cutoff for a 2010.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
It is 5 years - the model year. You can bring in a 2011 until June of 2017. You've missed the cutoff for a 2010.

So in a nutshell, if you buy a new vehicle in the United States and ship it over here to DR, it will cost up to an additional 50% of the MSRP with transportation-taxes-placa, etc.

Jan 9, 2004
Where can I verify how old the car can be to be allowed being imported? Is it 5 years or does the rule not apply?

Are Toyotas for the US market made in the US and would be part of the CAFTA agreement?

Forget DR/CAFTA. The agreement only has a material impact if bringing in a new US made vehicle.

Also, forget about importing used right now.....unless you are willing to pay exorbitant taxes on inflated values. I have a 2011 Camry that I have thought about bringing in for over 9 months. And for those 9 months, the value for taxes, has stayed the same. It is no secret this government has been deficit spending and needs increased revenue to cover the shortfall.....thus they have kept values of vehicles constant in order to maintain the tax flow from it.

As AE has correctly pointed out, you can bring in a 2011 until June 30, 2017 (must be in the port by that date)

I have never bought in this country, but I would not import just now.

There is a thread somewhere in the archives about my last experience about 3 years ago.

Good luck, whatever your decision.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
I imported a car in February this year. Had no problems. Shipped from Miami directly to Puerto Plata. If you buy in the USA
check where it is manufactured as they don't go just by being a US model. A lot of cars are assembled in Mexico and not
covered under the so called US agreement.

Jan 9, 2004
I imported a car in February this year. Had no problems. Shipped from Miami directly to Puerto Plata. If you buy in the USA
check where it is manufactured as they don't go just by being a US model. A lot of cars are assembled in Mexico and not
covered under the so called US agreement.

The vehicle's VIN number must begin with a 1,4, or 5 to be considered manufactured in the US.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2