13 a day

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
13 babies under 28 days of age die in DR every day. in latin america only haiti and guyana have worse results of infant mortality.
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/06/29/13-ninos-mueren-diario-por-causas-prevenibles

it seems like an exaggerated number as official boletin epidemiologico registered only 2,719 infant deaths in 2015, down from 3,407 in 2014.
still, it means that more babies die here every year than there are victims of vehicular accidents or homicides.

dominican government, of course, blames c-section rates while pediatricians talk about dangers of early pregnancies and malnutrition.
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...e-la-mortalidad-infantil-en-el-pais-NN4186528

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
How many of those babies are from Haitian women?

Many Dominican hospitals receive an excessive amount of pregnant Haitian women. Some hospitals actually register most of their births to Haitian women.

Often times its not just their first time in a hospital, but also the first time they get a medical check up during their pregnancy. Due to that, many women are attended with complications that could had easily been avoided had they received proper health care from the start of their pregnancy. Many of these women cross into the DR illegally with the purpose of giving birth.

They have to be having an impact on the figures too. Dominican figures should be segregated between the figures for the country and then another figure excluding all foreigners. That would clear up how much responsibility the Dominican public health system has in the high infant mortality rate and how much of that is the effect of the illegal immigration problem.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Many Dominican hospitals receive an excessive amount of pregnant Haitian women. Some hospitals actually register most of their births to Haitian women.

Often times its not just their first time in a hospital, but also the first time they get a medical check up during their pregnancy. Due to that, many women are attended with complications that could had easily been avoided had they received proper health care from the start of their pregnancy. Many of these women cross into the DR illegally with the purpose of giving birth.

They have to be having an impact on the figures too. Dominican figures should be segregated between the figures for the country and then another figure excluding all foreigners. That would clear up how much responsibility the Dominican public health system has in the high infant mortality rate and how much of that is the effect of the illegal immigration problem.

Personally I posted 2 stories on this board.
One involving a Dutch guy and his murdered twins as well as an American friend who's baby was ripped open during a c-section.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I wonder how many early infant deaths are the result of sleeping in the same bed with parents. In a lot of Dominican homes, there's not a lot of space & I think sometimes young/inexperienced parents (but you're never experienced, no matter how many children you have) think that infants are safer sleeping in the bed with parents. I also submit that perhaps new parents don't get a lot of info about SIDS, re: proper infant sleeping care, as in keeping them in in baby chocks on their sides, or with rolled up towels to keep them from rolling onto their tummies or backs, and away from cooling and/or heat sources, etc.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Listening to the Dominican news lat night, a pediatrician said most due to diarrhea. The majority of babies here are not breast fed but bottle fe and in many cases neither the bottle nor the water is sterilised. Some use river water or tap water.

Matilda

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Listening to the Dominican news lat night, a pediatrician said most due to diarrhea. The majority of babies here are not breast fed but bottle fe and in many cases neither the bottle nor the water is sterilised. Some use river water or tap water.

Matilda

This makes my heart hurt.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am actually surprised by that, I would have figured breast feeding would be the norm due to cost?

You are not taking into account the vanity level of many Dominicanas who would never breastfeed since it might cause sagging of the breasts.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You are not taking into account the vanity level of many Dominicanas who would never breastfeed since it might cause sagging of the breasts.

Last year I knew a kid almost 3 years old who when he wanted some would pull himself onto the couch and holler out "Mama Teta," And she would lie down and feed him. But i agree with La Profe most here are like my own wife was back in 1965 and again in 1968. "Not this body! I gotta fit my bikini this summer!"
Der Fish

May 29, 2006
I am actually surprised by that, I would have figured breast feeding would be the norm due to cost?

Women use up to a third of their calories to produce milk while nursing. Not enough calories, not enough milk. Many also thin the formula to make it last longer. That's also assuming it's formula and not just powdered or canned milk. Births to moms 15 and younger has got to be a big part of it.

Aug 6, 2006
Dominican figures should be segregated between the figures for the country and then another figure excluding all foreigners.

======================================================
This would only be valid for purposes of comparison if all countries excluded births to foreign women,and I don't think they do.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
They are also told by dr's formula is better and they think it is a more of an upscale thing to do. Sagging breast is def a reason why though!

Add to that the large number of women who prefer C-section to natural childbirth to ensure their genitals stay tight, and the complications that come with c-sections, and it's not surprising the infant mortality rate is high.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com

Typical Dominican response to any criticism,blame the Haitians!!!!
Cccccc

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
No one i know (personally) in DR that has breastfed their children. Sad but true.
I have know several kids that have died of (what I consider) preventable deaths.
It is a developing country and many parents don't know the basics of sterilization or proper care for
little ones.
This will hopefully change through public announcements and more education but for now we will see and hear of these unfortunate deaths.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Thy don't plan on having kids. It is not to make a loving family. Thy get men ie money and attention nights out on the town beer and on and on. From a poiny tits and tight toto. An un wanted kid is far less important then a hot money maker.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Healthcare for poor Dominicans with no money for medical plans, doctors or medicine is horrible.
The public hospitals, clinics and the lack of care are heartbreaking.
The DR also has one of the highest rates of C sections.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Typical Dominican response to any criticism,blame the Haitians!!!!
Cccccc

True, except what NALS says is also true. I have taken kids to the public hospital numerous times and the hospital is always filled with Haitians, so is the government pharmacy. Doesn't seem to bother poor Dominicans but it is a fact.