RENTAL: Who pays commission? (Lawyer and Real Estate Agent)

dmarie

Jul 1, 2016
Hi There!
I found an apartment in Gazcue in Santo Domingo and everything has been finalized (aside from actually signing the contract)
THEN the real estate agent tells me that I owe 2 months deposit (normal) plus one month for the commission.
I'm Canadian and in Canada this is 100% the responsibility of the renter, not the tenant.
Is this how it is in Santo Domingo? Or am I being scammed?
If this is the way her, I'll suck it up but I don't want to pay something that I don't have to: there are plenty of
other apartments I can rent.
I speak Spanish and my fiance is Dominican, so communication was not the issue.
Please let me know what you have experienced/heard!
Thank you!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It is the way they do it here.

I too paid two deposit and one for the real estate agent.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have rented two apartments in Gazcue and both times the signing of the contract was the same.

I had to pay two months security deposit plus four months rent in advance since I did not have a fiador. I never paid a commission fee. Every four months I paid an additional four months rent in advance....... and yes, at the end of my lease I received my deposit back after I restored the apartment to the same condition it was when I rented it.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
When you go with a real estate agent it is the renter who pays him, not the owner. In Germany it is the other way around too.

I do not know with advance payment beyond the deposits. I always had fiador and/or Dominican wife when renting...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
When you go with a real estate agent it is the renter who pays him, not the owner. In Germany it is the other way around too.

I do not know with advance payment beyond the deposits. I always had fiador and/or Dominican wife when renting...

I used two different real estate agents and I still never paid the commission. I found both apartments using supercasas.com.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well we rent apartments short term to people and the commission, if there is one, comes out our payment from the renter. our agent charges 30% commission.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I have rented 7 places here in the past 15 months. The last one I rented required 2 months deposit and 1 month paid to the lawyer. Only paid a 1 month deposit at 1 other apartment. Otherwise have just been month to month.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi There!
I found an apartment in Gazcue in Santo Domingo and everything has been finalized (aside from actually signing the contract)
THEN the real estate agent tells me that I owe 2 months deposit (normal) plus one month for the commission.
I'm Canadian and in Canada this is 100% the responsibility of the renter, not the tenant.
Is this how it is in Santo Domingo? Or am I being scammed?
If this is the way her, I'll suck it up but I don't want to pay something that I don't have to: there are plenty of
other apartments I can rent.
I speak Spanish and my fiance is Dominican, so communication was not the issue.
Please let me know what you have experienced/heard!
Thank you!

If you used a real estate agent than he is entitled to a commission. You probably should have asked upfront what the contractually arrangements are before hand. After it is a done deal it is a little too late.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
If you are a renter always negotiate that the seller take care of the commission.. I seriously doubt a renter would give up a foreign tenant for one month's rent.(Coming from a property owner looking to rent :) )

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
We recently signed a lease on the home we are renting, and our up-front money was basically the same. However, our breakdown is as follows:

One month's rent upfront (this went into the bank account of the real estate agency). We paid the month of June in May. This was the agent's commission and served as a benefit to me.

We paid the homeowner two month's rent as a security deposit. We will supposedly get this back upon our departure and delivery of the house in the same condition in which we found it. I hope this helps.