Car buying questions

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
If buying a car from a private owner and they have the matricula in hand, how does one assure there are no liens?

Will a matricula be stamped with something showing there is a lien?

I saw a guy buy an older car, paid cash and drove away with the matricula and previous owners plates. How dangerous is that?

I'm looking for a specific vehicle, and there's always a few on the island but all over the place. So I want to drive around on a Saturday and look at several privately owned vehicles, pay cash and drive away. I really don't want to make two trips.

Jan 9, 2004
If buying a car from a private owner and they have the matricula in hand, how does one assure there are no liens?

Will a matricula be stamped with something showing there is a lien?

I saw a guy buy an older car, paid cash and drove away with the matricula and previous owners plates. How dangerous is that?

I'm looking for a specific vehicle, and there's always a few on the island but all over the place. So I want to drive around on a Saturday and look at several privately owned vehicles, pay cash and drive away. I really don't want to make two trips.

You need to check with dgii to make sure there is no opposition/liens against the vehicle. You can do this online. If you buy a vehicle, pay cash, and there are oppositions/liens......your vehicle may be at risk of being seized, if the seller does not pay them off.

There are no stamps on the title indicating liens that I am aware of.

Good luck in your search.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2