Callejon De La Loma

jparkerson

Apr 1, 2016
I have a friend looking at property in Callejon De La Loma due to it being very inexpensive by Cabarete standard. Whats the rundown on this area? Safe? Close to the beach? Good mixture of gringos and Dominicans? Any other info or commentary that you think would be useful?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a friend looking at property in Callejon De La Loma due to it being very inexpensive by Cabarete standard. Whats the rundown on this area? Safe? Close to the beach? Good mixture of gringos and Dominicans? Any other info or commentary that you think would be useful?

Also referred to as "Little Colombia" for the easy access to drugs. Twelve hours of electricity per day, not sure of the water situation. There are two good reasons the property is cheaper. My wife, who is Dominican, would not live there.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Also referred to as "Little Colombia" for the easy access to drugs. Twelve hours of electricity per day, not sure of the water situation. There are two good reasons the property is cheaper. My wife, who is Dominican, would not live there.

jajajajaaaaaaaaaaaaa that answer is hilarious! .... there you get what you pay for ;-)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Mostly Dominicans and Haitians live there but plenty of gringos too. A friend of mine just visited a gringo dentist there a couple of days ago. There may be some drugs there but it's not the main place in Cabarete. The main road is long with many side streets leading off, so proximity to the beach depends on where exactly you are. Anything from five to twenty minutes walk, I would say. Dominicans I know consider it safer than Barrio Blanco or La Cienega. Loads of small shops and food places at cheaper prices than the main drag. A real slice of Dominican life.

jparkerson

Apr 1, 2016
Easy access to drugs and having power for only 12 hours per day? Nothing about those two things are a generalization. They are both very specific.

No its a generalization that you applied that to the entire area. Does the entire area only have power for 12 hours?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Mostly Dominicans and Haitians live there but plenty of gringos too. A friend of mine just visited a gringo dentist there a couple of days ago. There may be some drugs there but it's not the main place in Cabarete. The main road is long with many side streets leading off, so proximity to the beach depends on where exactly you are. Anything from five to twenty minutes walk, I would say. Dominicans I know consider it safer than Barrio Blanco or La Cienega. Loads of small shops and food places at cheaper prices than the main drag. A real slice of Dominican life.

I think this is a good synopsis. If your friend is going to live in a Barrio, I think this one is the best in Cabarete by reputation and there are some good small shops there. As with barrio life here you have to know the issues and know that neighbors can be loud and there is a different culture there. If your friend wants to buy something there, he should rent there for a while and make sure that he can adapt and enjoy life there himself. No amount of talk can prepare someone for the cultural shock and etc. of actually living here in the DR let alone living in a local barrio. Property prices are unlikely to skyrocket within a year...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No its a generalization that you applied that to the entire area. Does the entire area only have power for 12 hours?

Callejon de La Loma has power 12 hours a day. I repeat, that is NOT a generalization. That is because that sector is on a Class D Edenorte circuit CABT102. Class D gets a maximum of 12 hours a day of electricity and is the first circuit to get turned off when there is more demand on the A through C level circuits.

Last edited:

Don't you have bullet holes from a few shootings at your house in your gated community?

Tons of gringos love living in Calle Jon, totally disagree with Winde on this! Drugs are Everywhere in Cabarete.

Op your friend really shouldn't buy without being here for at least a year.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't you have bullet holes from a few shootings at your house in your gated community?

Tons of gringos love living in Calle Jon, totally disagree with Winde on this! Drugs are Everywhere in Cabarete.

Op your friend really shouldn't buy without being here for at least a year.

Bullets fly everywhere in the DR. Lots of guns as you know, having one yourself. We now have a gate guarded community.

"Tons of gringos living in Callejon de la Loma" like to take chances. They are "penny wise and pound foolish". But you are right, that is just our opinion. After all, that is what the OP was looking for. Peoples opinions on that area.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
isn,t that the road that ends somewhere by the national park? it is noisy and lot of moto,s going thru . believe you can get whatever you want in that barrio.
to each his own

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes the far southern end of the road going from the main highway at the stop light near Ocean Dream ends at park land and the caves. There are many side streets off the Callejon (road) as it heads to the park, mostly going east.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Getting back to the issues of choosing places to live. Places like Barrio Blanco, Callejon de la Loma and La Cienaga are cheap for several reasons. Lack of full time power is one of them. Many people steal the power and Edenorte penalizes them by cutting it off for 12 hours or more per day in the location the OP asked about.

Lack of proper title for the land could be another issue. Make sure that the land is surveyed and the title is on file with the government for any purchase of property here. That is called a "deslinda".

Constant noise could be another issue which is certainly abated the further you are from the main parts of the road.

It has been pointed out that drugs are everywhere, but the dealers tend to LIVE in the barrios. So you are closer to the "action" if you live in one of those places. Where I live, we somewhat recently formed an association and have a gate guarded community. People don't get to walk through and check out what you have that they might like. In one of the barrios, you and your neighbors who are good people, are your only protection. The police are virtually useless. And yes I know that is a generalization about the police.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I know Callejon de La Loma well. For a barrio, it is one of the nicer ones. The main drag off the main hwy all the way down to Las Cuevas is paved, as are many side streets. There are quite a few shops, colmados, and restaurants on the main street along with a nice Catholic church and new high school being built.

That's the good news. For most of the callejon, power is only available about 6 hours a day - water is unavailable at times for several days and when available, you need a small boost pump to suck the water out of the main line(due to lack of pressure) to fill up your cistern and tinaca.

It's fairly safe for a barrio, but there are a lot of drug dealers in this area as in just about any barrio here. You'll be living in very tight quarters. Dominicans don't care how loud they play their music or what time of night it is. Add to that dogs barking, roosters crowing at all hours, and many, many motos all w/o mufflers.

Land is incredibly expensive when you consider all of the above and most lots are tiny. Take Harleysrock advice and rent there for a year before buying. Why any gringo would want to live there is beyond me(?).

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Bullets fly everywhere in the DR. Lots of guns as you know, having one yourself. We now have a gate guarded community.

"Tons of gringos living in Callejon de la Loma" like to take chances. They are "penny wise and pound foolish". But you are right, that is just our opinion. After all, that is what the OP was looking for. Peoples opinions on that area.
Don't let nobody know if you have gun, they will rip you off just to take possession the fire arm...

Ta' fea la vaina en mi pais!

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know Callejon de La Loma well.
Land is incredibly expensive when you consider all of the above and most lots are tiny. Why any gringo would want to live there is beyond me(?).

Naivete perhaps.