Customs

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Where can I find the rules for what we are allowed to bring in this country in our suitcase,
both for a tourist flying in and for a Dominican who is returning from a short vacation abroad.

Are there different limits per class of products? i.e. what is the $200US I keep hearing about?
Are electronics a class apart i.e. computers, monitors, tv etc

All those people who bring in TVs.... do they stuff a 32" TV in their suitcase or is it brought in separately?

Thank you!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Back of Customs form is as attached:

2mmya8x.jpg

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Where can I find the rules for what we are allowed to bring in this country in our suitcase,
both for a tourist flying in and for a Dominican who is returning from a short vacation abroad.

Are there different limits per class of products? i.e. what is the $200US I keep hearing about?
Are electronics a class apart i.e. computers, monitors, tv etc

All those people who bring in TVs.... do they stuff a 32" TV in their suitcase or is it brought in separately?

Thank you!

Even a half dozen years ago you could bring in just about anything without paying duty. Now your luggage is put through scanning equipment and the chance you bring electronics in without being caught and forced to pay duty is slim.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have been "caught" with a TV and paid nothing anyway. I said it was a computer monitor and was told OK.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Just have a $20 in your hand, and if they ask you to open up your suitcase, show them the $20 and ask, Is this open enough.....

Works every time.....

My thoughts not yours.....

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Just have a $20 in your hand, and if they ask you to open up your suitcase, show them the $20 and ask, Is this open enough.....

Works every time.....

My thoughts not yours.....

I was going thru customs in a Latin country and heard an angry American male voice shout "What do you wanna see? The lady's panties?" and he held high several pairs of thongs etc... THey quickly closed his luggage and passed him thru. I probably would have assumed it meant there was something he was trying to hide and forged on had I been the inspector.
Der Fish

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I was just wondering if things were different for Dominicans as opposed to tourists in terms of what can be brought in.

I have entered with my laptop and tablet, no problem. I was thinking of bringing a "computer monitor" when I come back in December.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a xmas customs pardon for dominicans who live outside DR and did not visit the country for at least 6 months and there's also a law regarding what "returning dominicans" can bring.
other than that, no.