Thread: Customs

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Customs

Where can I find the rules for what we are allowed to bring in this country in our suitcase,
    both for a tourist flying in and for a Dominican who is returning from a short vacation abroad.

Are there different limits per class of products? i.e. what is the $200US I keep hearing about?
    Are electronics a class apart i.e. computers, monitors, tv etc

All those people who bring in TVs.... do they stuff a 32" TV in their suitcase or is it brought in separately?

Thank you!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 4, right-hand side (you'll need to zoom in):

https://maranatha.org/wp-content/upl...try-Packet.pdf

Some get in easily with 32" sub $200 TVs, others don't. There's a bunch of threads here if you do a Google search.

3. Likes Neargale liked this post
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Back of Customs form is as attached:

5. Likes Neargale liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neargale View Post
    Where can I find the rules for what we are allowed to bring in this country in our suitcase,
    both for a tourist flying in and for a Dominican who is returning from a short vacation abroad.

Are there different limits per class of products? i.e. what is the $200US I keep hearing about?
    Are electronics a class apart i.e. computers, monitors, tv etc

All those people who bring in TVs.... do they stuff a 32" TV in their suitcase or is it brought in separately?

Thank you!
    Even a half dozen years ago you could bring in just about anything without paying duty. Now your luggage is put through scanning equipment and the chance you bring electronics in without being caught and forced to pay duty is slim.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been "caught" with a TV and paid nothing anyway. I said it was a computer monitor and was told OK.

8. Likes Neargale liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just have a $20 in your hand, and if they ask you to open up your suitcase, show them the $20 and ask, Is this open enough.....

Works every time.....

My thoughts not yours.....

10. Likes Neargale liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hammerdown View Post
    Just have a $20 in your hand, and if they ask you to open up your suitcase, show them the $20 and ask, Is this open enough.....

Works every time.....

My thoughts not yours.....
    I was going thru customs in a Latin country and heard an angry American male voice shout "What do you wanna see? The lady's panties?" and he held high several pairs of thongs etc... THey quickly closed his luggage and passed him thru. I probably would have assumed it meant there was something he was trying to hide and forged on had I been the inspector.
    Der Fish

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just wondering if things were different for Dominicans as opposed to tourists in terms of what can be brought in.

I have entered with my laptop and tablet, no problem. I was thinking of bringing a "computer monitor" when I come back in December.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

there is a xmas customs pardon for dominicans who live outside DR and did not visit the country for at least 6 months and there's also a law regarding what "returning dominicans" can bring.
    other than that, no.

14. Likes Neargale liked this post