Cardinal of Santo Domingo Retired

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It was announced today that the resignation for age (retirement) of the Archbishop of Santo Domingo, Nicol?s de Jes?s Cardenal L?pez Rodr?guez has been accepted. Bishop Escapa, an auxiliary bishop of SD, has also retired.

The newly appointed archbishop of Santo Domingo is Francisco Ozoria Acosta, formerly bishop of San Pedro de Macoris.

I know that there has been a lot of speculation in the local press about when he would retire since he reached the mandatory age last year.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
finally.

still, a controversial decision, judging by the comments in DL:
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...defensor-de-haitianos-y-los-bateyes-IA4233903
It looks like the Pope Francisco is sending a message to Dominicans to treat Haitians better. Also probably not a popular choice for the Dominican super rich family the Vicinis as he appeared in the critical movie the Price of Sugar. He is quite a contrast to the retiring Cardinal who was from the richer class whilst this bishop spent much of his time in the Bateys. I wonder what Ozoria thinks of the American ambassador Whally with his not very catholic ways?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It looks like the Pope Francisco is sending a message to Dominicans to treat Haitians better. Also probably not a popular choice for the Dominican super rich family the Vicinis as he appeared in the critical movie the Price of Sugar. He is quite a contrast to the retiring Cardinal who was from the richer class whilst this bishop spent much of his time in the Bateys. I wonder what Ozoria thinks of the American ambassador Whally with his not very catholic ways?
This is the first time that I see someone refering to Nicol?s de Jes?s L?pez Rodr?guez as originating in the 'richer class' when in fact he's from a humble family from a rural area of La Vega.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
After a tenure as a prince of the church one's class changes.
That doesn't changes the origin.

The same thing will happen with the new Cardinal. I'm willing to bet no one will ever confuse this guy's social origin, even after years of a 'tenure as a prince of the church.'

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They do get to wear some nice hats and dresses. Not sure how that helps the class change.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that he did not retire from the position of a cardinal, only from the archbishop chair.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
i think that he did not retire from the position of a cardinal, only from the archbishop chair.

Yes, he remains a cardinal and is a retired archbishop. However, at the age of 80 he is no longer eligible to vote in the election of a new Pope.

Serving as an elector for a new Pope is one of the major functions of a cardinal.