Caribe Tours / Metro to SDQ?

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Am I reading the schedule correctly, the bus from Sosua does not go to SDQ?

They seem to have a bus station 'SD-Las Americas', but I haven't found a single route at Caribe Tours which has this station included? No success with Metro either.

Is there any way to go Sosua-SDQ with public transport?

Thanks,

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Am I reading the schedule correctly, the bus from Sosua does not go to SDQ?..........

Thanks,

Yes, you are reading it correctly. You would have to take either Metro or Caribe Tours into Santo Domingo Centro and from there a taxi to the airport.

The SD-Las Americas bus stop is primarily there for those going from Santo Domingo to Samana.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Is there any way to go Sosua-SDQ with public transport?

Absolutely but the last bus from downtown Santo Domingo to the airport leaves
at 10am which means you will need to leave Sosua on the first departing morning bus.
The station/ public transport for the airport is near Duarte and Feb 27.
Google maps search " Parada de Guaguas de Boca Chica"

To get to this bus station from the Caribe Tours bus station in Santo Domingo is
very easy. Just walk outside the main entrance of Caribe Tours SD, cross under
the overpass, then stand on the street corner (east direction) and wait for either
a gua gua or carrito to pass. Just ask/ say "Duarte?" then hop in, pay the driver
25 pesos and they will drop you off at the corner of Duarte and Febrero 27. From
there you will need to walk up one more block and make a right on the next street.
Then immediately on the left hand side of the street you will see the bus station.
Again, the last bus for the airport leaves at 10am.
It cost 60 pesos and drops you off at departures. Be sure to ask when
boarding "aeropuerto" just to make sure it doesn't bypass the airport as some do.
I used this bus about 3 weeks ago, no problem.
Safe travels :D

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You would have to take either Metro or Caribe Tours into Santo Domingo Centro
and from there a taxi to the airport.

If you are traveling in the morning, its possible to take public transportation all the way.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you are traveling in the morning, its possible to take public transportation all the way.

Yes, I am familiar with the autobus expreso to boca that stops at the airport but surely not something I would suggest to a newbie to SD. Let alone someone hauling luggage.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes, I am familiar with the autobus expreso to boca that stops at the airport but surely not something I would suggest to a newbie to SD. Let alone someone hauling luggage.

The fella asked, I answered.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There is also a van that parks at the far end of departures that shuttles people to and from SD but runs all day. Do you have the details on that?

I didn't know that. If you could share or pm details i would appreciate it as I will be traveling back down
in a few weeks as soon as my birth certificate with the apostille stamp arrives in the mail box.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I didn't know that. If you could share or pm details i would appreciate it as I will be traveling back down
in a few weeks as soon as my birth certificate with the apostille stamp arrives in the mail box.

When you exit departures it is located to the far left. I questioned the driver and he said 100 pesos (gringo $ ?) to parque enriquillo. The down side is the van sits there just like the autobus boca until it is loaded. I do not know the exact location near parque enriquillo where it loads up to return to the airport.

Nice, decent, clean A/C van with a sign on the windshield STO DGO.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
When you exit departures it is located to the far left. I questioned the driver and he said 100 pesos (gringo $ ?) to parque enriquillo. The down side is the van sits there just like the autobus boca until it is loaded. I do not know the exact location near parque enriquillo where it loads up to return to the airport.

Nice, decent, clean A/C van with a sign on the windshield STO DGO.

Excellent. I appreciate it. I don't mind paying an extra 40 pesos (if need be)
to save 1200 or whatever those muppets are charging gringos for a taxi into town these days.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Excellent. I appreciate it. I don't mind paying an extra 40 pesos (if need be)
to save 1200 or whatever those muppets are charging gringos for a taxi into town these days.

Another option when coming from the airport into the city is take a moto to the highway. There is a very small building which is the bus depot for the autobus boca chica coming from boca. The dispatcher (?) phones ahead to the parada de autobus transfer station on the highway in Andres to save a seat on the next bus leaving. This autobus will bring you all the way to parque independencia.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Interesting, but all those switches and changes seems like a lot of work to save $25 to get into the city.

To the OP: I'd take the bus into the city, and then cab it the rest of the way. I've done just about every mode of transport in DR, and the only one that reliably leaves on time (or when I'm ready) has been the rental car, lol.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Interesting, but all those switches and changes seems like a lot of work to save $25 to get into the city.

To the OP: I'd take the bus into the city, and then cab it the rest of the way. I've done just about every mode of transport in DR, and the only one that reliably leaves on time (or when I'm ready) has been the rental car, lol.

I totally agree ........................

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011

I read in another post it's more like 40USD (but quoted prices are allover, most likely depends how gringo like you look). It also said to go up to the arrival and catch a cab there which just dropped someone of and negotiate the prices.

AA out of POP is such a rip-off. I rather travel the whole day than shuff them my money up their ass.

Will most likely fly outwards with miles (+120US in fees *****) and inbound with Spirit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i usually see quotes of around 1000 to 1500 pesos for a ride from SD to the airport, some even manage lower rates.
you can also use uber, although beware that airport taxistas are pretty much p*ssed off about uber as it is:
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...izan-piquete-en-contra-de-operaciones-de-uber

personally i don't really feel that time and effort connected to traveling from SDQ rather than POP are worth it unless the ticket is really dirt cheap.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
thanks

personally i don't really feel that time and effort connected to traveling from SDQ rather than POP are worth it unless the ticket is really dirt cheap.

... or the ticket out of POP is horribly expensive (as always to Miami), 820USD for POP-MIA-POP. My last flight to and back from Austria did cost less.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can't say. my family and friends travel to miami frequently and they normally fly from/to POP or STI. but then they have plenty of time on their hands so maybe they can wait until a decent deal comes?