Rumors

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anybody hear anything about a new North Coast highway ?

One that circumvents places like Cabarete, and finishes the new Nagua bypass road ?

Any rumblings ??

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Yes, there will be a stoplight in front of the new Hospital for the road.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I really can't imagine this ever happening. First, the extraordinary amount of money that would be required to fill in the lagoon where the by-pass would need to rest. Secondly, the displacement of people and homes. Thirdly, the necessary amount of money required to finish it--especially given what will almost certainly be huge over-costs that will constantly arise to push it way, way over budget. But who, knows? Anything is possible if there is enough money.

Frank

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
didn't they build the toll roads ??

as to F12... if so, they put up the money and build, then collect the tolls.
Is that how the scheme works jul10?

They also built the Bavaro/Miches/Sabana al Mar road (which was essentially an upgrade) and my guess is that an upgrade of the exiting north coast road with a by pass or two would be most likely. I don't see how a toll road would work financially on the stretch to Nagua with current traffic flows.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
didn't they build the toll roads ??

as to F12... if so, they put up the money and build, then collect the tolls.
Is that how the scheme works jul10?

In reference to the Bavaro/Miches/Sabana project which Oderbrecht built, I found the following tender call information in Hoy from back in 2010

El ministerio de Obras P?blicas inici? hoy el proceso de licitaci?n para la Rehabilitaci?n y Mejoramiento de la carretera B?varo-Uvero Alto-Miches Sabana de la Mar y la construcci?n de una terminal Portuaria en Sabana de la Mar.

La licitaci?n p?blica comprende la gesti?n del financiamiento, la elaboraci?n del dise?o de rehabilitaci?n de la v?a y la construcci?n de la terminal portuaria.

El ministerio de Obras P?blicas requiere del concurso de empresas con suficiente experiencia t?cnica en construcci?n vial, recursos financieros y capacidad de gesti?n de financiamiento propio.

Looks like it was a 'turnkey' project......fund, design and build. So that it a possibility for a north coast road upgrade if it happens.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They also built the Bavaro/Miches/Sabana al Mar road (which was essentially an upgrade) and my guess is that an upgrade of the exiting north coast road with a by pass or two would be most likely. I don't see how a toll road would work financially on the stretch to Nagua with current traffic flows.

In reference to the Bavaro/Miches/Sabana project which Oderbrecht built, I found the following tender call information in Hoy from back in 2010

El ministerio de Obras P?blicas inici? hoy el proceso de licitaci?n para la Rehabilitaci?n y Mejoramiento de la carretera B?varo-Uvero Alto-Miches Sabana de la Mar y la construcci?n de una terminal Portuaria en Sabana de la Mar.

La licitaci?n p?blica comprende la gesti?n del financiamiento, la elaboraci?n del dise?o de rehabilitaci?n de la v?a y la construcci?n de la terminal portuaria.

El ministerio de Obras P?blicas requiere del concurso de empresas con suficiente experiencia t?cnica en construcci?n vial, recursos financieros y capacidad de gesti?n de financiamiento propio.

Looks like it was a 'turnkey' project......fund, design and build. So that it a possibility for a north coast road upgrade if it happens.

If (capital 'I', if) it happens, yes - I imagine a couple of bypasses, not a total reconstruction.

The Nagua portion is ready already... caliched but needing asphalt .

Gasping Hernanadez, Cabarete will need bypasses.......
hopefully not uprooting Hard as a Rock in the process.

It may be a dream - but a sweet one .....if true

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
best opportunities for theft are in dealing with other countries. Road building is kinda limited. Doubt we will see this in our lifetime.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is one of those things, like 24/7 power for all, that is brought up from time to time, and then nothing happens. I have heard of this Cabarete bypass now at least three different times.

Maybe this time it will happen, but I doubt it. As for the OP, I have not heard any new rumors about this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My guess is the Nagua section will be first (if at all) given its advanced stage of preparation.

Time will tell..... new 4 yr term for el Presidente

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I really can't imagine this ever happening. First, the extraordinary amount of money that would be required to fill in the lagoon where the by-pass would need to rest. Secondly, the displacement of people and homes. Thirdly, the necessary amount of money required to finish it--especially given what will almost certainly be huge over-costs that will constantly arise to push it way, way over budget. But who, knows? Anything is possible if there is enough money.

Frank

A former mayor already filled a significant part of the lagoon in some sections for the road. Just have to remove the people illegally living there on public wet lands.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My guess is the Nagua section will be first (if at all) given its advanced stage of preparation.

Time will tell..... new 4 yr term for el Presidente

Your rumor may have foundations.......

Mentioned at bottom of the article below.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...ierno-construira-un-tunel-en-la-27-de-febrero

Entre las obras propuestas para construir y terminar tambi?n figuran la carretera Puerto Plata-Sos?a-Cabarete-Playa Grande y las circunvalaciones Cabarete y San Francisco de Macor?s. Durante el presente per?odo de gobierno, el presidente Danilo Medina ha construido un sistema de red vial a nivel nacional que ha contribuido a la reducci?n de tiempo y combustible

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The proposed by-pass around Cabarete was given Presidential approval last year but it was opposed by some local people on environmental grounds. It's a shame as the proposed route would have taken quite a wide swing around Cabarete, which would have meant a quieter life for locals. I'm sure they could have found ways of not damaging the lagoon, which was the environmental concern. I reckon that the powers that be said "Well if those gringos in Cabarete don't want our by-pass, they can live with the traffic".