New Passport & Banking

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My bank is Progreso.

I got a new passport in May .

Migracion had no problem, registered the new one.

The bank on the other hand,,,,,
shut me out of the Banco en linea.

I needed to re-register....
set up new security questions, passwords.... the works.

Almost 40 minutes on the phone from Canada.... in Espanol !!!

I've never hit the Google translate button so often !!

Forewarned is forearmed..... for anybody getting a new passport:devious:

Aug 21, 2007
We ran into this too. My foundation tried to open a bank account two months ago. We had to provide pages and pages of documents with original signatures. I was making trips back and forth to my lawyer several times a week. My lawyer was arguing with the bank's lawyers about the validity of various documents and the signatures. Then, last week I received an email that if we hadn't provided copies of 2 of our board members' new passports within 5 days they are freezing the account. They also requested one more document with the signature of a board member who is in UK until January. Knowing the account will be froze, I went ahead and withdrew a carload of money so we could pay employees and bills for the next few months.

It ain't easy living in paradise.

Lindsey

Feb 7, 2007
@LindseyKaufman - and which bank was that, so we can be forewarned?

And one more thing, you could request your lawyer to file "amparo" (injunction) with the local civil court prohibiting the bank to freeze your account as it would affect functioning of your foundation, and provide reasonable time frame to comply with the request.

You would need to do this (and get the injunction ruled upon) before they block the account, it is easier to prevent them blocking, then to sue them to unblock it.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In fairness,
I was signed in to a totally new system.
Heretofore, we had no security questions that I recall answering-
Color of your first car
Mother's maiden name
etc
etc

But the new passport triggered the alarm - definitely

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My bank is Progreso.

I got a new passport in May .

Migracion had no problem, registered the new one.

The bank on the other hand,,,,,
shut me out of the Banco en linea.

I needed to re-register....
set up new security questions, passwords.... the works.

Almost 40 minutes on the phone from Canada.... in Espanol !!!

I've never hit the Google translate button so often !!

Forewarned is forearmed..... for anybody getting a new passport:devious:

But why do you not have your account registered with your cedula. That number never changes. I changed my account from passport to cedula once I got residency.

Easier to show cedula as ID when using banks throughout the country. Scotiabank are easy to deal with........you ask and then deal with an English speaker.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Any particular reason you're with them other than the short lines?

Interested in going with a new bank but I don't know which ones will let me sleep at night for large deposits.

Cabrera has only a few banks.... my house manager is at Progreso, so I followed.
I have a Scotia account too, but the branches are Nagua and Cabarete

But why do you not have your account registered with your cedula. That number never changes. I changed my account from passport to cedula once I got residency.

Easier to show cedula as ID when using banks throughout the country. Scotiabank are easy to deal with........you ask and then deal with an English speaker.

Yes, they have the cedula, but wanted the new passport

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Simply ask them directly to change your passport number, I did it reservas and bhdleon and no problem...

Perhaps you had no luck with Progreso....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All I did was go into the bank and give them a photocopy of my new passport...period.

I suspect the new security measures complicated the issue somewhat but at one point in the conversation the woman in Sto Dom cited the name of my Progreso rep in Cabrera.

That's when I knew what was up

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Simply ask them directly to change your passport number, I did it reservas and bhdleon and no problem...

Perhaps you had no luck with Progreso....

It took them a week at Banreservas to change my passport number.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In retrospect, I wonder why to bother changing it ??

They have the cedula, the gov't has the new passport from Migracion.

Who cares ??