Barahona Tourism

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
[video=youtube_share;PYJzqybeMDs]https://youtu.be/PYJzqybeMDs[/video]

Marketing an image is key these days to attracting development money.

Barahona's Tourist body can do just that.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The single biggest challenge to tourism in the SW is a fact that no one can control: it is extremely hot there, even in winter. Summer months are even more brutal.

Even the wind is hot and dry.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good point CB

I wonder where the Spaniards had their first vineyard?
My research says the cut-off line (latitudinally) is about north coast level...
below that is a risk.

Maybe my comment belongs in the Ocoa bay wine thread

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The single biggest challenge to tourism in the SW is a fact that no one can control: it is extremely hot there, even in winter. Summer months are even more brutal.

Even the wind is hot and dry.

If one is marketing to an audience of North American visitors, warmer winter temperatures and less effect from cold fronts reaching the island is probably a bonus.

The modern more adventurous tourist.....and often those with more money to spend.....wants warm weather, minimal humidity and plenty to do on their short vacation.

Many of the hotels shown in the video are located in the Baoruco area which does get it's rainfall as the lush green tropical canopy confirms.

Variation from a flat landscape and a good beach with plenty of eco options will appeal to the target market this area is after. And the development money will, or rather does, like the interest that can be attracted from that lucrative market.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If one is marketing to an audience of North American visitors, warmer winter temperatures and less effect from cold fronts reaching the island is probably a bonus.

The modern more adventurous tourist.....and often those with more money to spend.....wants warm weather, minimal humidity and plenty to do on their short vacation.

Many of the hotels shown in the video are located in the Baoruco area which does get it's rainfall as the lush green tropical canopy confirms.

Variation from a flat landscape and a good beach with plenty of eco options will appeal to the target market this area is after. And the development money will, or rather does, like the interest that can be attracted from that lucrative market.

The market you refer to is tiny. Even eco-tourism is tiny.

And the SW isn't just a little warmer. It can be brutally HOT. Like an oven. Seriously. There are a few oasis but they are still really hot...they just have some water.

It's an interesting area no doubt, but after a few days there we're happy to leave for cooler climes.

Additionally, with the exception of Bahia de Las Aguilas, the beaches are suboptimal for tourism. Mainly rocks.

People come to the DR looking for a tropical Caribbean fantasy. The SW ain't it.

Aug 6, 2006
The beaches near Barahona are rocky or far too covered with plastic water and refresco bottles, and the sea has pretty strong currents.
Los Patos and San Rafael have great fresh water pools, which are nice and the drive along the coast is stunning.
Paraiso is less than Paradise.
Yes, it is hot. But there is normally a breeze. Las Terrenas has nicer beaches. I cannot comment on Bahia de Aguilas because I have not been there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The beaches near Barahona are rocky or far too covered with plastic water and refresco bottles, and the sea has pretty strong currents.
Los Patos and San Rafael have great fresh water pools, which are nice and the drive along the coast is stunning.
Paraiso is less than Paradise.
Yes, it is hot. But there is normally a breeze. Las Terrenas has nicer beaches. I cannot comment on Bahia de Aguilas because I have not been there.

Someone must have seen your post :)

Today's paper has an article about a clean up campaign of the Barahona beaches. They've begun with El Quemaito

http://almomento.net/barahona-inician-limpieza-de-las-playas/224310

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Travelling to Barahona is more expensive than Cancun, Florida or Hawaii. Who in their right mind and with a level of respect for their families well being would choose to swim in garbage surrounded by Haitians?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Travelling to Barahona is more expensive than Cancun, Florida or Hawaii. Who in their right mind and with a level of respect for their families well being would choose to swim in garbage surrounded by Haitians?

I must not be in my right mind then :) To have a beautiful beach such as Bahia de las Aguilas to myself, wake up the next morning in Barahona, eat brunch in San Jose de Ochoa with some awesome coffee and then see the mountains of Valle Nueva is my idea of a great vacation. I think when the new highway connecting the country's center to the SW many more will want to experience this type of vacation

Aug 6, 2006
Who in their right mind and with a level of respect for their families well being would choose to swim in garbage surrounded by Haitians?

San Rafael and Los Patos are inexpensive and pleasant places, and free of garbage and trash. Many Haitians have been deported from Barahona, and I never saw any of them at any of the beaches.
The worst problems are that the beaches are rocky rather than sandy and that the Ocean is rough and has a strong undertow in many places.
The North Coast is presently more convenient and more alluring than Barahona. This may change in the distant future.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Who in their right mind and with a level of respect for their families well being would choose to swim in garbage surrounded by Haitians?

San Rafael and Los Patos are inexpensive and pleasant places, and free of garbage and trash. Many Haitians have been deported from Barahona, and I never saw any of them at any of the beaches.
The worst problems are that the beaches are rocky rather than sandy and that the Ocean is rough and has a strong undertow in many places.
The North Coast is presently more convenient and more alluring than Barahona. This may change in the distant future.

Haitians are no more guilty of throwing trash than Dominicans. Heck usually drunk Dominicans with Reggaeton boom boxes almost always leave there trash right where they drop it including plastic bags and diapers and liquor bottles.