new flights to DR announced

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Until the government does a lot more to promote tourism, improve infrastructure, and encourage tourism related development here on the North Coast, I'm afraid it won't happen.

What about the much higher airport taxes flying in/out of POP? Has anyone, gringos/locals ever pushed this at a high level. I would have thought business owners would have put extensive pressure on this as you can clean the NC all you want but if a PC trip comes in cheaper for a better hotel due to airport taxes, you lost before you start.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There will be very few flights to Puerto Plata until the the landing fees to the airlines drop and are much closer to those at the other airports that are currently being serviced.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not sure people are right about the POP fees.

Checking Toronto to POP and to AZS fro Sept 17 to 24 on Westjet

The POP flights are $5 cheaper each way.

I have never found POP to be really overpriced - I prefer AZS and will pay for it , if need be.

This may be another DR1 myth..... the exorbitant landing fees at POP

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Has anyone come across an airport tax breakdown per airport info?

I'm flying on United from Newark next week to Puerto Plata (POP) and then in September to Santiago (STI) I just checked my receipts for DR related taxes and fees.

POP. STI
DR Departure Tax: $20. $20
DR Airport Auth Fee: $30. $30
DR Airport Infrastructure Fee: $32.60. $32.60

That's right - exactly the same.....so maybe it is a myth?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We're not talking about how much you pay in fees and taxes, it's the cost to the airlines to use the airport that is different depending on which airport the plane lands at and the time of day.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
We're not talking about how much you pay in fees and taxes, it's the cost to the airlines to use the airport that is different depending on which airport the plane lands at and the time of day.

We have to note that too many factors can make an airline add flights or not in some areas, if the Airport feeds for landing are hight and the destination can make your flight to have over 85% load factor year round they will fly.

You can have very low airport fee and the airline wont add a new flight if their numers for the route are not good.

Good thing is that Puerto Plata is recovering from their bad times, and the same thing is Happening in other areas like Juan Dolio where Hodelpa came into life the old Hotel Talanquera that now is called Emotions with 394 new rooms and is working to do the same with closed Melia Hotel with anohter 400 rooms.

Not sure if you knew that the Advent Int. the Mexican company that was operating Aerodom sold Aerodom to Vinci Airports, French company that manage 35 airports arround the world like all airports in Portugal, Santiago de Chile Airport, also airports in France, 2 main aiports in Japan and 1 in Africa, so very soom we will see changes in SDQ and POP as they really know their business, not like Mexican company.

They work together with Airlines to develope new routes, and has clear that want to give best experience to the pax in transit through their airports. They already announced that SDQ will have free Wifi, they are correcting all the problems left by old Aerodom Administration, like fixing the balcony in the Control Tower, also they started to put brand new transit signals in the runway and taxiway, lets give them more time and we will see changes in all their airports.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That exactly why JetBlue cancelled the AZS flight -- load factor.

That load factor progresses to a $ per seat per mile factor.....
the crucial measuring stick for a route's desirability for the airline

That's how they make their money...
putting a$$es in the seats at the right price

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Getting a direct flight reinstated from Puerto Rico to POP would be a good start. Have you noticed few Puerto Ricans visit Sosua anymore
They used to come spend money and even some Puerto Rican familes came, now they all go to Punta Cana.

Yes this Summer Punta Cana got this summer a lot charters from Puerto Rico, also Santo Domingo.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011

do you have hard figures on that?

I heard 'that story' with the high fees for some time now, but it doesn't make sense to me.

You CAN fly extremely cheap out of POP, eg I flew FRA-POP for 260USD this winter on way. Given that's a 9.5hrs flight, that is an insane offer.

You can also fly cheaply from/to EWR/JFK and some Canada destinations.

Those destinations have one thing in common, there is competition (eg three carriers were flying to/from Germany in winter).

Problem is that POP has quite some destinations w/o competition, and esp. AA asks horrific prices eg for their POP-MIA route. I don't think it has anything to do with landing fees.

But I can be corrected.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
AA is priced crazily from Toronto to POP west jet direct flight $600-$700 AA $1200+++++++ one or two stops

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I have some knowledge on this subject from working for various Airlnes here in the country..and in terms of what the Airlines pay per load/landing fee, to land there planes STi was the cheapest while AZS and PUJ where around $ 20 p/p more than STi and SDQ and POP were around $ 55 p/p more expensive than STI. This was info that I was privy too from the Airline I worked for at the time....this was however around 4 years ago and for the one specific Airline company I was working for so rates may be different with other carriers but I think they were all relatively similar and most of this cost had to do with the specific companies who managed each Airport as the company I worked for flew into all four.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Thank you, so pretty much a two way ticket should be a max of 70USD more expensive flying out of eg SDQ

Just some prices (in two weeks, researched now):
POP-MIA 840 (no competition, closed would be STI-FLL with spirit)
PUJ-MIA 505 (spirit/jetblue flies to FLL)
SDQ-MIA 405 (spirit/jetblue flies to FLL)

The POP prices just cant be explained with the landing fee's alone.

POP just has less demand for certain routes (esp. some US routes it seems). Hence it does not make it profitable route for a second carrier to enter and the sole carrier can charge whatever he wants.