phone question

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I just bought a new phone that has a nano SIM card. My current Orange phone number is on a micro SIM card. Will I have a problem getting the account ported to a nano SIM card?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Just go to orange and get a nano sim. Card they are probably gonna charge you for new SIM card ..

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Nano sim is just a physically cut down Micro SIM. The chip is the same in all three sizes you can get.

You should be able to just get them to use the cutting tool to shop it down.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Thanks, everyone.

Nano sim is just a physically cut down Micro SIM. The chip is the same in all three sizes you can get.

You should be able to just get them to use the cutting tool to shop it down.

Very interesting, it does look like I could take a pair of scissors to it to make it fit.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
And my friend google.com showed me that there is template available for doing it.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
You can do it but if it doesn't fit right and phone shakes you will wish you just got a SIM card ...just saying been there done that...at same time what you have to lose SIM card is useless to you anyway !!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They chop them at the CLARO or ORANGE store....
easy to do.

In the US, I put a small one back into a bigger phone.
They had an adapter to 'up' it - making it fit back in the larger slot.

Everything is possible

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I took both phones to the Claro office, and they swapped the sim for a micro. No charge. I would assume that Orange can do the same for you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the only functional part in the chip is the little 'motherboard.,,,, the small gold coils.

The rest is just there to fit the given slot....

Simple as apple pie.......I have done it without problems.... twice, actually

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I cut mine and also had cut by store or easiest but time consuming way would be wait on line and get a new sim at one of the big stores.
When I cut full sim to mini, it was easy but I can see that the whole process can be little annoying or not possible if you don't have printer and sharp Exacto/box knife .

When I went to micro sims I had cut both time at small Claro store on the street.
One time was free and other time they charged me $50 to cut in Moca.
They bring out sim clipper and done in 1 second.
Just make sure you keep the remnant of the sim if you ever want to go back.
Currently switching between mini and micro and that remnant helps.

Feb 7, 2007
Better do not cut yours. Go to Orange and get Nano sim. Tell them you want it because of 4G LTE replacement. That way the change would be free (at least it was last month). Else, you pay like 50 pesos or so. Not worth to possibly damage your phone for 50 pesos. I still cannot gasp why Orange does not do 3-in-1 SIM as all operators in Europe now do. But hey, they now do 2-in-1 at least (big and micro), but nano is still a loner.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Better do not cut yours. Go to Orange and get Nano sim. Tell them you want it because of 4G LTE replacement. That way the change would be free (at least it was last month). Else, you pay like 50 pesos or so. Not worth to possibly damage your phone for 50 pesos. I still cannot gasp why Orange does not do 3-in-1 SIM as all operators in Europe now do. But hey, they now do 2-in-1 at least (big and micro), but nano is still a loner.

There's really nothing to break except maybe sim itself.
If I had a lot of time I would've gone to Claro and change the sim but when I went there the line was like 2 hour long and I don't have time for that.
I told my driver to go to local slightly bigger Claro store and asked to cut my sim there and cost was $0.
I now have sim cut to nano and I am switching between two phones and nothing had ever broke.