encuentro beach warning

RubyDiamond

Jan 8, 2013
I had the misfortune to have a gun drawn on me while walking from the beach back to the main road - the person appeared to be a rather clean cut moto-rider.
He first struck up a conversation as I exited the beach near the little beach huts. I declined a ride , I suppose i shouldnt have ben carrying a bag but there was nothing actually in it.The man was waiting for me when i go to a quiet area and again tried conversation finishing with asking for my rucksack before he rode off without it.He then re-appeared and produced a gun.I told him I didnt have any money and thats why I refused a ride earlier.

He rode off again - so was almost mugged by the same person three times, how lucky am I ?

RubyDiamond

Jan 8, 2013
feel stupid taking a bag - should take a seethrough one next time I go out so people can see there is nothing in it

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
feel stupid taking a bag - should take a seethrough one next time I go out so people can see there is nothing in it

See through accessories are great, I have a see through cymbal bag.
Maybe you should borrow Betty's piece, next time you hang "10" in Encuentro.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
man, this **** here is really starting to get to me. glad you are fine.

I am always riding the beach path from encuentro to cabarete with my bycicle. I was always wondering when someone will jump out of the bushes, push me into the barb wire and rob me, now I got a different scenario with a gun :pirate:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
People ... dont blame yourselves. There is no such thing as paradise in this world. The reason this place, despite its immense natural beauty is so cheap is because it is full of danger and treachery. Either pay more and leave for a better place or face the reality of this putrid little piece of paradise lost

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm on that trail a lot myself. There are PN patrols but they are few and far between. The views of the ocean are stunning. Anytime you are secluded and look around and don't see other people, you have become a target of opportunity for someone with little to lose.

Often used ploy in that area is a moto driver feigning a breakdown. You stop to chat or ask if they are alright and a partner scrambles out from behind a tree. You were fortunate. A moto driver will often offer a ride. If you decline they should immediately leave or focus their attention elsewhere. If they persist, that is your only clue that all is not right. 9 times out of 10, when a local pays a foreigner additional interest it's all about money. Sad commentary but a survival fact nonetheless. Be very weary of anyone with whom you have nothing in common paying too much attention to you in an area devoid of a crowd especially if you are alone.

Not everyone wishes you harm or wants your stuff, but the ones who do look just like the ones who don't. You have to assume...

Glad you are ok.

Last edited:

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am so surprised that he didn't take the bag and took your word for it, very odd for a mugger... !

The advise is to never argue with an armed mugger, I would have given him everything right away.

Still, lucky escape, glad you are fine.

Too many people have guns here...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
In santiago they shoot you for a cheap cell phone if you dont give it up.. personally, u see a gun in the DR, give it up, you can replace anything that was in that bag.
and in this case you had nothing in it ? how bad would it have been to get shot over an empty bag...

Smartest way would be to just give stuff up but no one knows till they are in that situation how they would react.

Personally I am fed up with these pathetic losers and not sure what I would do.

I like how calm you seemed Ruby!! Bags are really never a good idea unfortunately in those kinda areas but how sad is it you can't carry stuff around like a towel or even an empty bag!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is probably an accurate assumption that everyone has a cellphone. That item alone is enough to initiate a robbery. A cellphone and a bag or backpack full of "stuff" can be perceived as a big score.

Wasn't the missing surfer gringo in Cabarete a few months back last seen, walking down the street from the beach?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Does everyone report these offences to the 'crimestoppers" so Leon can put out a description watch.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
A secluded beach may seem romantic for swimming and surfing.
Fact is, that a single person is not safe in isolated areas, also Encuentro Beach has had a fair amount of drownings by experienced surfers.
If Ruby Diamond is a female even worse to be out alone. Stick to populated beaches or go with a group.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
When people ask me what the DR is like. I tell them it's not easy. It's nice, but it like the wild wild west. You have to be careful.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I would think a couple would be in the same situation - a group may have better luck

You should never walk alone in non-public area at night. If it feels uncomfortable that is your sixth sense telling you something is wrong.
A gun makes a little Dominican punk feel like a real tough guy and being a thief here seems to bother almost no young Dominican man's conscience.
So use caution and enjoy the life in DR. If it does deteriorate further then it's time to think about leaving.
We are not there yet but if it does get there, a lot of of us extranjeros will be looking to find a safer place.