Cadbury's chocolate

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
For the Brits and Caribbean forum members, I was surprised to find this morning that Super Pola on Independenciare now selling Cadbury's milk chocolate bars. I stocked up with my favorites: Cadbury's Fruit and Nut and Whole Nut.

Normally I can only buy these when visiting the islands or a rare trip back home..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Have you tasted it yet? I was very disappointed. Something to do with being bought by a US company.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Have you tasted it yet? I was very disappointed. Something to do with being bought by a US company.

Yes a bit creamier and not as good as the Cadbury's I buy in the islands or back home, but even so more enjoyable than what I find around.

Having checked the bar I bought in Pola, it was made under license by Hersheys and I guess that explains the difference.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That was it - Hershey, which in my experience most Brits consider inedible.
For good chocolate, Ritter sport, the square bars, are usually sold at Nacional and Pola.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Ritter is wonderful chocolate. Especially the dark chocolate which is supposed to be good for you - in moderation.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You nearly had me rushing to Super Pola to bring back my childhood. Then I was reminded that Cadbury's was taken over. I thought it was by Kraft. Is Hershey part of that group?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Ritter sport chocolate is not American (it is German) and neither am I so I have no clue what you mean.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
You nearly had me rushing to Super Pola to bring back my childhood. Then I was reminded that Cadbury's was taken over. I thought it was by Kraft. Is Hershey part of that group?

Mendelez International or what was Kraft Foods (includes Toblerone) but not Hersheys.

A thinner bar of chocolate but still worth the trip to Super Pola and goes well with a genuine Tetley cup of tea (real tea bags not the small ones on strings) bought on my last trip to Nevis in bulk.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bravo in santiago has both milka (formerly german, currently american) and lindt (swiss). i sometimes buy them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
bravo in santiago has both milka (formerly german, currently american) and lindt (swiss). i sometimes buy them.

I bring down chocolate when we come down, but it never lasts 4 months. Good to know that Lindt is available, love theirs! I've never seen anything resembling edible chocolate in La Sirena, which is the only supermarket reasonably close to us. Might have to start doing more shopping in Santo Domingo.

Apr 7, 2014
Mendelez International or what was Kraft Foods (includes Toblerone) but not Hersheys.

A thinner bar of chocolate but still worth the trip to Super Pola and goes well with a genuine Tetley cup of tea (real tea bags not the small ones on strings) bought on my last trip to Nevis in bulk.
MONDELEZ is the name. It is composed name of Mondo(Mundo)+Delez(Delicioso). Thats what they came up with. It is nutty but better than RJ Reynolds changing their name to Altria.

Apr 7, 2014
Love it, nice come back!

The demise of Cadbury's. Americans just don't get chocolate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/features/the-many-ways-cadbury-is-losing-its-magic/

Carry on....
The problem is with all of the holidays in the US that emphasize chocolate purchases Cadbury never had a familiar "tip of your tongue" product. That egg thing was a once a year thing. You cant go up against the Mars Family M&Ms and Snickers or Hershey's Kisses or Reese's peanut butter cups. Even back when Mondelez was Kraft Foods they had a great niche product with those caramel cubes.
What also ruined Cadbury's business model? The Fun size candy bar. Now Mars, Hershey and Ferrara are selling the chocolate in bulk packaging which the retailer loved! Walmart and RiteAid and Family Dollar dont care about taste and quality they just want to move the product to as many people as possible and most of us only care about price anyway...

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
When I head down to the DR for the winter, I carry a shopping bag filled with Lindt chocolate bars and truffles. That my fix to get me through my winter stay. Only my closest friends get access to my stash. The shopping mall in Playa Dorada carries different varieties of chocolate bars including the ubiquitous Kit Kat. Doesn't taste the same as the ones I get in Canada. Chocoholics don't care about quality when the stash runs low. We just want quantity.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
For a good creamy milk chocolate La Pola in Sosua sell the very large bars of Nestle Milk Chocolate. They are at the end of one of the isles that is close to where the refrigerated drinks are. I go through one of them a week!

Feb 7, 2007

Just checked those Milka in Iberia, they are for Spanish Portuguese and Italian market, while no country of manufacture stated it had addresses in Spain Portugal and Italy printed. So definitely European production and not USA, those that are sold by Iberia.

Iberia as of lately is bringing on many European (mainly Spanish) products and you can find them at reasonable prices... Maybe just slightly higher they would cost in Europe.

They now have whole isles dedicated to these products. Most are under their store brand El D?a. They also have imported Spanish salami and sausages (Argal brand) which are very good and very reasonably priced. And they have agridulce small pickles, I love them... And my daughter is the only Dominican I know that likes them, and she likes them to such extent she eats them as a snack.