Corruption at Hig?ey's 'Preventive' Jail

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A young man tried to travel to Spain with fake c?dula, visa, and passport. He was arrested at the Punta Cana Airport and taken to the preventive jail in Hig?ey. During the 3 or 4 days his checking in process took place, he was charged RD$5,000 daily for his protection. He refused to pay it, so he was visciously raped more than 20 times. The guy is now at a medical facility in Santo Domingo and is suicidal.

The lawyer made the news public by calling at ZolFM radio station.

[video=youtube;2teM5_a98mY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2teM5_a98mY[/video]

The preventive jail is not part of the new model jails.

I wonder if due to the publicity this case is receiving, if this will cause the authorities to do something with the way that preventive jail works.

Other guys taken into custody with the young man paid the RD$5,000 daily fee to a jail inmate that was charging that amount for protection, and they were not harmed.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013

Why would anyone want to take any changes and travel to the Dominican Republic. You can end up in Jail for anything, Just for being a foreigner is enough to end Up a victim. I traveled there for many Years and even studied at the university for a time until I was a almost a victim of an extortion plot orchestrated by a retired Army colonel that was my neighbor. Luckily I was tipped off by another neighbor that overheard him discussing their plans. I moved the same evening after midnight. Several day's later I was called by someone from the DNCD asking me to meet them at my home. I said sure, I would meet them there in 2 days...I flew Home the next day....corruption, senseless violence, and a society that worships money and status has turned that place into a very dangerous place. I don't see anything improving, and actually the sociological bottom is still many Years away. It's going to get way worse before it gets any better. Nobody cares about there community, education, or the welfare of their brothers and sisters. Not surprising to me that the DR is lowest in terms of literacy in Latin America. So remember that anyone can get victimized even if you get into an accident with your rent a car or by some opportunist Who sees your foreign White skin as a way to make a few bucks. So sad... the Guy Who was arrested deserved to be incarcerated, but not extorted and raped under the supervision of jail officials..just gross

KITTU

May 13, 2015
A young man tried to travel to Spain with fake c?dula, visa, and passport. He was arrested at the Punta Cana Airport and taken to the preventive jail in Hig?ey. During the 3 or 4 days his checking in process took place, he was charged RD$5,000 daily for his protection. He refused to pay it, so he was visciously raped more than 20 times. The guy is now at a medical facility in Santo Domingo and is suicidal.

The lawyer made the news public by calling at ZolFM radio station.

[video=youtube;2teM5_a98mY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2teM5_a98mY[/video]

The preventive jail is not part of the new model jails.

I wonder if due to the publicity this case is receiving, if this will cause the authorities to do something with the way that preventive jail works.

Other guys taken into custody with the young man paid the RD$5,000 daily fee to a jail inmate that was charging that amount for protection, and they were not harmed.

Heights of Disgust!!! Corruption at it's best. Welcome to the DR... Where is that stupid, fame digger, money maker, amnesty international when needed?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
This is gut wrenching but completely unsurprising. I cant wait to see what depths we can fall to in the next decade. I will be watching live from the comforts of Northern Florida.