Considering a Move to Jarabacoa from NYC- Question about Employment

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Hi Everyone!

Forgive me if this is the wrong folder for this post, it has been a while since my last one! All of your posts have proven incredibly helpful to me for years.
I am interested in moving from NYC, to Jarabacoa. I have been a number of times, and have some connections there, but am just beginning more seriously looking for a job.

I have some experience teaching, and was told there are lots of opportunities to teach English. I am aware of both Jarabacoa Christian School and Duolos. I am however not interested in having to raise my own salary entirely (missionary).
I know that JCS does pay, and am attempting contact with them for more info.

I am wondering if anyone knows any other language institutes, private centers, or other places where English teachers may be needed. I am in contact with CIEE and TEFL but have not had luck yet for Jarabacoa specifically.

Aside from teaching, I have entertained the idea of working in eco tourism, for example Rancho Baiguate. If anyone has any suggestions for specific other places, or for jobs they are aware of, that would be fantastic.

I have been trying to gather as much information as possible, but of course much of this is not readily available online. I plan on returning in September, and hope to interview/check out some potential employers if I can line some things up beforehand.

Any suggestions of locations, websites, people to contact, or where to begin, I would be very grateful. This also goes for renting a house/apartment, which I again know is better done in person and have some friends who have been successful, but do not know if there is a specific agent I should contact.

A little about me for guidance: 24 year old female, college degree, working in edtech sales currently but have experience in non-profit, education, and coaching sports and fitness, and missions. (in and out of the DR)

Thank you !!! Trying to find the best websites and businesses to explore!

Rebecca:D

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Welcome to DR1!

Few will be able to provide more info on Jarabacoa (particularly for schools) as Bob Saunders, or Cobraboy, who owns a number of businesses there. I'd strongly encourage you to reach out to them when you get ten posts in, and can send them personal messages, or PMs.

Good luck.

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
DRob,

Thank you very much-I have noticed there are not as many posts about this region as other more popular areas for ex-pats, americans, etc.

I can definitely reach out to them for some better job advice.

I am hoping to also find a community of other young people who have relocated there!

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
RMS you should also be aware that you will need a residency permit to work in the DR. The process can take 6 months or longer so you should start the process in the US if your truly interested in moving and working in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Excellent point about needing residency to work here. I will make my standard statement. If someone comes to the DR looking for a job, they will almost certainly be very disappointed at the salary available. Can you live on several hundred US dollars a month? Perhaps, but like a pauper. For people not born here, the DR is best thought of as a place to be after you have made your money elsewhere. Good luck to you. I would never live in Jarabacoa. Even my wife who is from Jarabacoa does not like to go back there. A community of other young people that have relocated there? I do not expect you to find such a thing.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
DRob,

Thank you very much-I have noticed there are not as many posts about this region as other more popular areas for ex-pats, americans, etc.

I can definitely reach out to them for some better job advice.

I am hoping to also find a community of other young people who have relocated there!

Your best shot at finding a stable community of younger expats outside of Santo Domingo would be (in no particular order):

1) Students in Santiago;
2) Surfers in Cabarete; and
3) Somewhat employed folk in Punta Cana.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The only younger American crowd to speak of in Jarabacoa are the turbo-christian teachers at Doulos or JCS.

I have a solid contact on the Board of JCS.

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Thanks for you responses. I definitely know I will not be making anywhere near the salary I make now. But I would rather go when I am younger rather that older.

very true about the young Christian crowd but probably not much else. Can you elaborate on why you would never live there? I have been about 8 times and think it is beautiful as well as hear very amazing things from people who have relocated there and want to keep it a hidden gem. however, I am aware of the very low pay and way of life. Very good note about the residency, need to look into that prior.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for you responses. I definitely know I will not be making anywhere near the salary I make now. But I would rather go when I am younger rather that older.

very true about the young Christian crowd but probably not much else. Can you elaborate on why you would never live there? I have been about 8 times and think it is beautiful as well as hear very amazing things from people who have relocated there and want to keep it a hidden gem. however, I am aware of the very low pay and way of life. Very good note about the residency, need to look into that prior.

Don't know if it is the same group or not, but several years ago here on DR1 there was a thread or 2 about a Christian group that reeducated gay boys to clean it out of them. I met a man who was working there at one point in time, and he confirmed to me that it was as described with assurances that "It isn't as bad as you'd think!" etc..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I would not want to be on an island and be that far from the ocean no matter what the natural beauty. My wife finds Jarabacoa to be a very boring location and I concur.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I would not want to be on an island and be that far from the ocean no matter what the natural beauty. My wife finds Jarabacoa to be a very boring location and I concur.

I love Jarabacoa ................... as a weekend get away, but definitely not to live there.

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
You are all correct-it can be boring haha, and a huge change from NYC. while NYC is amazing, it is not a place where I wanted to live for an extended amount of time, some of the things I don't like about it here are what draws me there.

I am aware of some of the Christian communities (and the infamous "pray the gay away" one referred to prior) Interested in a couple of the schools but definitely not on any extreme level like the one mentioned.

As I have been thinking about this since my first visit in 2006 I keep wondering why I am letting fear stop me-but still more research being done prior! Probably going down in September by myself to explore some job opportunities and get a better feel of the feasibility of living there for me, without a friend there, and with the idea of moving in the forefront of my mind.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are others. I know a young guy doing micro-loans and another working on a herb farm as an engineer. Not all are missionaries. Rebecca , feel free to email me at dominicanbob@hotmail.com
Bob, she mentioned "groups." There are a few, but the only "groups" of gringos I'm aware of are the missionary teachers. But then again, we don't hang with groups here...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob, she mentioned "groups." There are a few, but the only "groups" of gringos I'm aware of are the missionary teachers. But then again, we don't hang with groups here...

Me neither, but she has been here so she knows the score. Unemployment is very high for locals with contacts and local qualifications, so it's an employers market.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Boredom is a state of mind, not a state of being but I get your point and your wife's as well.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You are all correct-it can be boring haha, and a huge change from NYC. while NYC is amazing, it is not a place where I wanted to live for an extended amount of time, some of the things I don't like about it here are what draws me there.

I am aware of some of the Christian communities (and the infamous "pray the gay away" one referred to prior) Interested in a couple of the schools but definitely not on any extreme level like the one mentioned.

As I have been thinking about this since my first visit in 2006 I keep wondering why I am letting fear stop me-but still more research being done prior! Probably going down in September by myself to explore some job opportunities and get a better feel of the feasibility of living there for me, without a friend there, and with the idea of moving in the forefront of my mind.

When you apply for residency that starts in your home country. Contact the DR Consulate in NYC to get all the Requirements. Also it will cost around $1500+ usds to go through the process with an attorney in Santo Domingo. Salaries are extemely low and it would be difficult to live in the lifestyle you are accustomed to. Good luck.