Rhodesian Ridgeback - A good choice

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Thinking of a new puppy.
Does anyone have experience with Rhodesian Ridgebacks and what kind of pets they make.
I have read they are good loyal family and guard dogs and energetic.
But I hear they don't shed nor stink.
Any know breeders in the DR ?

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
They are good dogs they handle heat ,bug bites no problem. Train good but need to do some reinforcement training every now and then.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
They have to be run everyday and from what I have read they need a person experienced with training dogs.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Don't let this alarm you but do be aware of the possibilities. Previous satisfied customers will (as usual) be a good indication of good stock.

http://discoveryspace.upei.ca/cidd/breed/rhodesian-ridgeback

wbr
Good Source. I was aware of demoid sinus which I think is becoming less but i had not hear of "wobblers".
I wonder if my best bet is to buy from a breeder in the states with a history of good genetics and bring him to DR ?

It has been a few years since I had a big dog but I'm thinking a dog who was bred to hunt lions might be a good protector.
My last big dog was a female lab and I doubt a better dog ever lived (but a big shedder).
Small dogs are good too, but big dogs are more fun.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
I agree with monfongo. We had 3 Ridgebacks and ran them on the beach in Las Canas. They have a great personalities, they’re loyal and love to run.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All dogs , especially the big ones (save Great Danes, perhaps) need good exercise .

And again, big dogs need to be trained ....

I agree - if it works in Africa, it'll work here..........IMO

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Very good guard dogs, but strong willed and can be aggressive towards other dogs. Grew up with two and I would gladly have another.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Very good guard dogs, but strong willed and can be aggressive towards other dogs. Grew up with two and I would gladly have another.

A friend of mine in PA had one .. Great tempered dog around the family from what I could tell, but one day the Rottweiler next door just ticked him off a little too much for some reason.. He snapped the Rotties Leg in half like a Dry Twig .
very powerful dogs... but very Loyal.
I would say not nearly as aggressive as Like Akitas or Pit Bulls, .. The thing is they can HIDE it real well. Would you agree ?
Im a Doberman Person myself.. but was considering a Ridgeback possibly as my next dog.
The use them to Hunt Lions in Africa I believe

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I had a Ridgeback, also called Bruno by coincidence.

He was quite fun as a puppy but grew scared of his own shadow as he got older.No idea why as he was never mistreated or punished in any way.

A scaredy-cat dog can be a liability especially a big strong one like a Ridgeback.

I prefer mongrels of any Heinz 57 varieties.Always the best dogs.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I agree with monfongo. We had 3 Ridgebacks and ran them on the beach in Las Canas. They have a great personalities, they?re loyal and love to run.

Did you get your 3 in DR or bring them from elsewhere ? What is their life expectancy ?
I don't want an aggressive dog to kids as they will be around them.
But if they want to drag down a fence jumper or home invader I hope they can dig and bury them too.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Did you get your 3 in DR or bring them from elsewhere ? What is their life expectancy ?
I don't want an aggressive dog to kids as they will be around them.
But if they want to drag down a fence jumper or home invader I hope they can dig and bury them too.

Obvious like people dogs are all individuals but in general ridgebacks are considered very good kid dogs and family pets. Ours used to jump over the fence and beat up the neighbours german sheppard then jump back and pretent nothing happened.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
All 3 were born here. If you want to keep them close to home, you'll need 6' high chain link fence, and with that, they'll still learn to climb over the top.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I've met a few in my day. agree with everything above. but running them is a must do. every day, several times per day. They get bored. Also, the claws are very sharp and need constant clipping. You can't allow any jumping. They need an alpha to rule. I'm told by my friends who had them that vet bills were high. not sure why.

I had a Puerto rican sato for many years.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
We have had a ridgeback for 7 years now. For the first two years I was not sure we could train her as she got bigger and bigger. She would jump on visitors and knocked one over once! Then one day...just like that...she behaved perfectly. We were always persistent with her training. She has been an excellent loyal dog for us and the best guard dog. She can smell anyone 200 feet away and hear anyone 500 to 700 feet away. Her bark varies on the kind of threat she thinks is out there. We live on the beach and she has a special place she sits and peers. If anyone she does not know comes within 75 feet of our home, she goes ballistic!!! Usually folks see her and turn around and walk the other way. If someone she does not know enters through the gate invited, she stands between that person and my wife. Don't get close or reach out your hand!! If she knows you are a friend of ours, she will just wags her tail. She can recognize the sound of your car coming and knows who it is. All the smells of our friends and visitors over the years have been burned into in her memory permanently, so if you have been here for a visit 3 years ago.....she remembers. It's quite something. My wife can sit in her chair near the beach and whisper"..."who's coming...who is that? She will go ballistic and check out the entire property. Scary growl, scarier bark.....never bit anyone ...yet! We do not have children around much ever and she does not seem to like small children running around. We take a precaution and put her inside the casa. I would imagine that if we did have small children around when we got her...that would be different. Awesome dog she is!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
We have had a ridgeback for 7 years now. For the first two years I was not sure we could train her as she got bigger and bigger. She would jump on visitors and knocked one over once! Then one day...just like that...she behaved perfectly. We were always persistent with her training. She has been an excellent loyal dog for us and the best guard dog. She can smell anyone 200 feet away and hear anyone 500 to 700 feet away. Her bark varies on the kind of threat she thinks is out there. We live on the beach and she has a special place she sits and peers. If anyone she does not know comes within 75 feet of our home, she goes ballistic!!! Usually folks see her and turn around and walk the other way. If someone she does not know enters through the gate invited, she stands between that person and my wife. Don't get close or reach out your hand!! If she knows you are a friend of ours, she will just wags her tail. She can recognize the sound of your car coming and knows who it is. All the smells of our friends and visitors over the years have been burned into in her memory permanently, so if you have been here for a visit 3 years ago.....she remembers. It's quite something. My wife can sit in her chair near the beach and whisper"..."who's coming...who is that? She will go ballistic and check out the entire property. Scary growl, scarier bark.....never bit anyone ...yet! We do not have children around much ever and she does not seem to like small children running around. We take a precaution and put her inside the casa. I would imagine that if we did have small children around when we got her...that would be different. Awesome dog she is!

Awesome Post ....
Felt like I was right there with you and your dog as you were describing her behavior.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Sounds like a perfect DR dog. Have the vet bills be high ? Does she dig up the yard.
I like female dogs because they tend to stay around (unlike the hookers on Pedro Clisante)