How to deal with military/government chiefs who abuse their position?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm going to share a rant with the hope that someone with enough time and experience in this country might be able to give me some advice on how to deal with a delicate situation.

I'm an aircraft technician and over that last couple of months I've been involved in a project to completely refurbish a private aircraft. I'm now at the finishing stages and today I finally received the pieces of interior trim and seats to complete the interior.

In order to bring all these pieces airside to the airport apron where the plane is parked, I had to jump through all sorts of hoops just to get the permission to take them through. I had already thought about that and I had all my documents in order. A letter from CESAC, the airport security chief, a letter from customs and the approval from the DNCD, department of drug control.

When I presented the letters to the security staff at the airport gate, the CESAC guys radioed ahead for their supervisor. The supervisor comes to the gate and I ask if I can pass the items through the X ray machine. He agrees, but says that I can't take them onto the ramp until the security chief (Sierra Uno) says so. But he's in Santo Domingo and not answering his phone!

Eventually he is contacted and he requests for photos of the letters to be sent to his whatsapp. Eventually he gives the green light and says as soon as the drugs dogs have been through everything then I can take them onto the ramp.

Hooray I shout to myself. This process of waiting has taken at least an hour and a half.

So I take the parts to the plane and get to work. A few moments later, a CESAC guard comes up to me and tells that I am not permitted to work on the plane. When I ask why, he just said that it was an order from Sierra Uno. I was permitted to take the parts onto the ramp, but not permitted to work on it.

I then showed him my airport pass, which allows me access to the whole airport. He acknowledged that, but said that it was a direct order from his boss and would not give me any other reason. He then said that mechanics cannot work on airplanes at night. I point out two glaringly obvious facts. The first one was the big yellow ball of fire still in the sky as it was by then 7pm. And the other fact that what happens when one of my regular airliners that come from Europe, US or Canada happen to arrive at night and need a technician?

I'm sure many of you who drive here have experienced the frustrating event whilst negotiating your vehicle into a nice parking spot and some half-witted illiterate idiot with a shotgun comes up to you once you have exited your vehicle and locked it, then says ,"you can't park here".

Now imagine how it feels like when someone of similar character tells you you cannot do the job you are trained and qualified to do.

I've been in aviation for many many years. Every day I see my civil liberties whittled away from me. I am treated like a potential criminal, drug smuggler, terrorist every time to go to work. But I've never been forbidden to do my job until today. This Sierra Uno has taken a step too far in my opinion. I want to hold him accountable for his actions with this order he made today, but I don't know to handle it. I don't find it acceptable that I should be beholden to the whim of a glorified guachiman, who decided to make up a new rule there and then, on the spot.

Do I let it slide and hope that he is in a better mood next time I go to work, or do I challenge him and find out why he stopped me working? I've been at this airport for over ten years. I know all the rules and I get emails when new or temporary rules and restrictions are made. I know almost all of the staff, although it's difficult to build relationships with the CESAC staff as they are a branch of the military and get posted around the country at very regular intervals.

Or do I make waves? After all he did stop me working, which is my only livelihood here. But he is a colonel.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My 2 chelas worth:

We are all subject to the whims and fancies of the official we are dealing with. In most cases there is no clear avenue of redress unless you know someone with more clout than the person you are dealing with. Make an enemy, and you will have problems every time. Pay them off once, and they will want to be paid again. If the only issue you are dealing with is working after say 5pm (or whenever nighttime officially starts here), it's easiest to only work until 5pm.

You got your parts to the plane. That's the nightmare completed. Surely they won't come back and prevent you from installing said parts during regular daytime working hours. You have to pick your battles here. Unless you can ensure that you can put the fear of god into someone so that they don't mess with you again, they will at every opportunity if you just wound their pride.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm going to share a rant with the hope that someone with enough time and experience in this country might be able to give me some advice on how to deal with a delicate situation.

I'm an aircraft technician and over that last couple of months I've been involved in a project to completely refurbish a private aircraft. I'm now at the finishing stages and today I finally received the pieces of interior trim and seats to complete the interior.

In order to bring all these pieces airside to the airport apron where the plane is parked, I had to jump through all sorts of hoops just to get the permission to take them through. I had already thought about that and I had all my documents in order. A letter from CESAC, the airport security chief, a letter from customs and the approval from the DNCD, department of drug control.

When I presented the letters to the security staff at the airport gate, the CESAC guys radioed ahead for their supervisor. The supervisor comes to the gate and I ask if I can pass the items through the X ray machine. He agrees, but says that I can't take them onto the ramp until the security chief (Sierra Uno) says so. But he's in Santo Domingo and not answering his phone!

Eventually he is contacted and he requests for photos of the letters to be sent to his whatsapp. Eventually he gives the green light and says as soon as the drugs dogs have been through everything then I can take them onto the ramp.

Hooray I shout to myself. This process of waiting has taken at least an hour and a half.

So I take the parts to the plane and get to work. A few moments later, a CESAC guard comes up to me and tells that I am not permitted to work on the plane. When I ask why, he just said that it was an order from Sierra Uno. I was permitted to take the parts onto the ramp, but not permitted to work on it.

I then showed him my airport pass, which allows me access to the whole airport. He acknowledged that, but said that it was a direct order from his boss and would not give me any other reason. He then said that mechanics cannot work on airplanes at night. I point out two glaringly obvious facts. The first one was the big yellow ball of fire still in the sky as it was by then 7pm. And the other fact that what happens when one of my regular airliners that come from Europe, US or Canada happen to arrive at night and need a technician?

I'm sure many of you who drive here have experienced the frustrating event whilst negotiating your vehicle into a nice parking spot and some half-witted illiterate idiot with a shotgun comes up to you once you have exited your vehicle and locked it, then says ,"you can't park here".

Now imagine how it feels like when someone of similar character tells you you cannot do the job you are trained and qualified to do.

I've been in aviation for many many years. Every day I see my civil liberties whittled away from me. I am treated like a potential criminal, drug smuggler, terrorist every time to go to work. But I've never been forbidden to do my job until today. This Sierra Uno has taken a step too far in my opinion. I want to hold him accountable for his actions with this order he made today, but I don't know to handle it. I don't find it acceptable that I should be beholden to the whim of a glorified guachiman, who decided to make up a new rule there and then, on the spot.

Do I let it slide and hope that he is in a better mood next time I go to work, or do I challenge him and find out why he stopped me working? I've been at this airport for over ten years. I know all the rules and I get emails when new or temporary rules and restrictions are made. I know almost all of the staff, although it's difficult to build relationships with the CESAC staff as they are a branch of the military and get posted around the country at very regular intervals.

Or do I make waves? After all he did stop me working, which is my only livelihood here. But he is a colonel.
How well do you know the Airport manager? I assume POP, right?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
How well do you know the Airport manager? I assume POP, right?

Yes, you're right, POP. I used to know the manager, but there have been a round of changes at the top since the French company Vinci took over Aerodom. I don't know this new one yet.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yes, you're right, POP. I used to know the manager, but there have been a round of changes at the top since the French company Vinci took over Aerodom. I don't know this new one yet.
Sounds like a good time to schmooze the new group. Might be some additional business to be had. I'm sure credentials from your current airline contract would be a most welcome initial contact.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Did this Uno guy tell you that you could not work on the plane directly ?.... or did the lackey CESTUR guy just tell you Uno said this ?

If the Uno guy did not tell you personally call Uno yourself ( if you have his number ) or get another CESTUR lackey ( not the CESTUR lackey that informed you that you couldn't work on the plane to call Uno for you ) and ask Uno directly why you can't work on the plane.

I smell lackey CESTUR dude fishing for a propina. If you can't get the lackey CESTUR guys to give you Uno's number or call Uno directly see if someone else at the Airport has his number.

Info like this should be delivered to you from the horses mouth because like you said CESTUR are just glorified watchmen..

tamarindero

Jul 20, 2016

Sounds like what happen to me a few years ago, the coronel at the time was a former DNCD menber recently promoted to rank of coronel.
So now we have a coronel with little knowledge of what the job of cesac entails, well on this particular acternoon this moron decided to let the
Cesac guachimanes manning the passengers checkpoint go home early, the flight i was taking was 4 hours late due to weather.

As the airplane was taxxing to the gate to park i was making my way to the check point,which is closed. I turn around and head to aerodom info
Desk and tell the person that the doors are locked, so he says go to the employee check point, as i was putting my bag into xrays guess who shows
Up? Mr.coronel!! With threating tone ask me para donde tu **** vaz? My response was can you repeat what the ..... you said to me, next to him is
A capitan of cesac that i have known for years, he is signaling me to be quiet that he is the boss. My reaction was the .... i care who he is, cursing at me!! The moron goes on to tell me, that i am not leaving on the flight that i am supposed to be on because that flight had already departed. I CAN HEAR THE ENGINES RUNNING (B757). THIS GETS ME MORE UPSET AND I SAY IF YOU ARE NOT DEAF THE NOISE YOU HEAR IS OF THE PLANE TAXXING INTO GATE, SO THIS MORON POINTS HIS FINGER AT ME AND SAYS YOU ARE NOT GOING ON THAT PLANE!!!

AFTER A FEW MORE CHOICE WORDS BETWEEN THIS GLORIFIED MORON WHO ONLY GOT PROMOTED TO CORONEL BECAUSE HE WAS
ASSIGNED TO THE CUSTODY OF QUIRINO, THIS WAS THE DOMINICAN WAY OF SAYING THANKS TO HIM PROMOTING HIM TO CORONEL AND
TRANSFERRING HIM TO CESAC.

AFTER GOING BACK THE AIRLINE COUNTER AND TELLING THEM WHAT HAPPEN. TO THEIR SURPRISE!! THE MANAGER GOT INVOLVED AND
TOLD ME TO CALL THE US EMBASSY AND TELL THEM WHATS GOING ON, NO MORE THAN 3 MINUTES PASSED AND THIS MORON CAME TO
UNLOCK THE DOOR, AND A FEW MORE MINUTES LATER A FEW CESAC SHOWED UP, WEARING SHORTS AND TSHIRTS.(ONLY IN REP DOM).

A REPORT WAS MADE BY THE AIRLINE, MY SELF AND 2 MORE PASSENGERS.WELL I GUESS THE REPORT WAS OF GOOD, HE WAS SHIPPED
OUT OF POP!! HE WAS THE CORONEL WITH THE SHORTEST STINT AT ANY AIRPORT. NO LONGER WORKS AT AIRPORT ONLY OFFICE JOB
I SUGGEST YOU FILE A REPORT, SPEAK TO VINCI,. Where in which living world is work at night not possible??
And why is S1 out of the vicinity of his work area??

Total bullcrap!!!

I have call a friend that is able to get you in contact directly with this special 1.

Hasta luego.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The security guard is just following orders. He wants to keep his job and as you know, common sense is a rare commodity in the DR at a certain level.

I would take a deep breath and get the number of "Sierra Uno". Have a chat with him, make a friend, let him know who you are etc.

Better off making a personal contact than ****ing off the person that can be a pain in your life if he really wanted to be.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The security guard is just following orders. He wants to keep his job and as you know, common sense is a rare commodity in the DR at a certain level.

I would take a deep breath and get the number of "Sierra Uno". Have a chat with him, make a friend, let him know who you are etc.

Better off making a personal contact than ****ing off the person that can be a pain in your life if he really wanted to be.
It's all about connections and networking.

Never, NEVER, put a Dominican in a position to be defensive and look bad. ALWAYS give them a way out with their pride.

Heck, when I spoke to the boss, praise the low-level guy, and tell that guard you did so.

A wise old owl once told me: "There is no more dangerous animal on earth than a man with nothing to lose but his pride."

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I hope I live long enough to understand the "you can't park here" thing. There are many tight parking spaces in small lots. You often have to make a series of small adjustments to get you car parked properly. When you mentioned guachimen who wait until you squeeze into a parking spot, put a "club" steering wheel lock on, gather items from the car to carry away with you before finally saying "you can't park there," it really resonated because it happens so often, even when the guachi knows for sure he won't let you park. Why do they so often wait until you have walked away from the car to say anything?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I hope I live long enough to understand the "you can't park here" thing. There are many tight parking spaces in small lots. You often have to make a series of small adjustments to get you car parked properly. When you mentioned guachimen who wait until you squeeze into a parking spot, put a "club" steering wheel lock on, gather items from the car to carry away with you before finally saying "you can't park there," it really resonated because it happens so often, even when the guachi knows for sure he won't let you park. Why do they so often wait until you have walked away from the car to say anything?

Probably because it's close to lunch/dinner time, and the effort you went to get into the spot is more important than the $200 pesos to get him to leave you alone.

I have siumilar issues with my quad. Guards at San Juan will tell me to move my quad and park with the motos. I can understand fully if my quad didn't consume the width of the space, but it does. I argued with one guy, and now I just ignore them. Customer parking is customer parking, and my business to the stores pay their salary just like everyone else (which I understand completely that they don't connect at all).

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I would be very careful going up against a colonel. One day when your working a drug dog may find some substance among your things.
Personally I would try to contact him direct and do the schmooze thing. A little propina still goes a long way here.

Like Robert says talk to him directly and try to network and become a friend, I always find when people try to buy off these guys with a so called propina one of two things will happen , you will insult the man or you will find this man looking for money all the time. If you want to give the man a gift a good bottle of Scotch will do wonders Johnny walker Gold or Chivas will be a nice enough gift for a new friend, not cash. But only after you guys reach an agreement, dont use it as a leveraging tool.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I wouldn't make waves. He has the power to shut you completely down. I would try to meet this bozo and maybe give him a little "gift". This might go far to stop the restrictive nature and allow you more freedom.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Who is your employer/contracter? Wouldnt they be able to pull some strings, make some phone calls? I would only imagine such a big investment at the airport would hold weight over that security chief.
The chief does answer to someone, and it wouldnt look good on his part to stop business over some egotrip. Ask the security next time, how can you fix things. You do know tha airport is just another money making racket for those lucky enough to be in that position.

You are in a sticky area

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Who is your employer/contracter? Wouldnt they be able to pull some strings, make some phone calls? I would only imagine such a big investment at the airport would hold weight over that security chief.
The chief does answer to someone, and it wouldnt look good on his part to stop business over some egotrip. Ask the security next time, how can you fix things. You do know tha airport is just another money making racket for those lucky enough to be in that position.

You are in a sticky area

I'm a self employed contractor. I work for a European maintenance company, a Dominican maintenance company and also have my own business at POP airport.

I've thought about how to deal with this. Initially I wanted to go to him and ask him for a written rule saying that I cannot work after sunset. Although I somehow doubt he would be prepared to put it in writing. But if he did, it would soon backfire on him. All I would have to do is wait for one of my regular flights that arrives from Europe to be grounded on an order from the security boss prohibiting maintenance activities at night. The order that he gave me would be handed around like a hot potato until eventually another order is given to rescind it. All transatlantic flights require a maintenance release of a qualified engineer in the logbook. That's where I hold my leverage.

The downside to that is that I would deliberately be grounding a commercial flight. Something that goes against the grain and my own work ethos.

So instead of doing that I have employed the Dominican whisper network. During my time here I have been able to network in the Dominican aviation industry. And I have been able to make a few friends in high places. So what I've been able to do is band around the empty threat that I would ground a passenger plane full of foreign tourists.

It appears to have worked. Messages have come back to me that he has backed down. And I have never even met him! So all is well with the world and everyone's precious pride is still intact.

And more importantly I wasn't forced to make friends with an idiot!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
like robert says, talk to the guy.
I am surprised how people can be working at one place for so many years and still have not made friends with people in charge. Dominicans in general are very friendly folks and military officers are no different. I make friends everywhere I go. Just so happens some people apply americans rules in this country. In USA no one wants to know anyone because the law applies to everyone (almost) equally. In DR, the rules change and the ones in power, make the rules. When I meet a powerful dominican, I act afraid of him but at the same time I pretend I like their company and show interest in something they seem to be proud of. To make friends in this country is stupid simple.
I have walked into POP airport and made friends with the security chief. he took me inside the airport and gave me a tour. I was actually there to pick up my indian friend who was visiting me from mexico. Then I played a trick. I hid behind a pillar and make the security chief arrest my incoming friend. Hahahaha. I have done this 3 times to him in 2 different airports. This is how simple it is to make friends with Dominicans with authority. they will do anything for you.
So take robert's advice and talk to the man. show him respect and be nice to him. act like you look up to him.
AZB

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
like robert says, talk to the guy.
I am surprised how people can be working at one place for so many years and still have not made friends with people in charge. Dominicans in general are very friendly folks and military officers are no different. I make friends everywhere I go. Just so happens some people apply americans rules in this country. In USA no one wants to know anyone because the law applies to everyone (almost) equally. In DR, the rules change and the ones in power, make the rules. When I meet a powerful dominican, I act afraid of him but at the same time I pretend I like their company and show interest in something they seem to be proud of. To make friends in this country is stupid simple.
I have walked into POP airport and made friends with the security chief. he took me inside the airport and gave me a tour. I was actually there to pick up my indian friend who was visiting me from mexico. Then I played a trick. I hid behind a pillar and make the security chief arrest my incoming friend. Hahahaha. I have done this 3 times to him in 2 different airports. This is how simple it is to make friends with Dominicans with authority. they will do anything for you.
So take robert's advice and talk to the man. show him respect and be nice to him. act like you look up to him.
AZB

Normally I would tend to agree. But it's difficult to strike up a relationship with the CESAC staff. Call them Dominican TSA if you like. They are a branch of the military and because of that they get posted at a moment's notice. The boss is known as Sierra Uno, next down the chain of command is Sierra Dos and number three is Sierra tres. They are Colonels, Majors and Captains respectively. The adjutant is a Lieutenant and the rest are NCOs.

There has been a real shake up of all the Sierra Unos at all the Dominican airports lately. The previous one only lasted three months.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
It's awesome that someone like AZB would step up to the plate and share his wisdom with a newbie in distress like Beeza.
I'm sure Beeza will take your effective concepts and restructure his approach when dealing with the folks at POP.
AZB yir the best.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
It's awesome that someone like AZB would step up to the plate and share his wisdom with a newbie in distress like Beeza.
I'm sure Beeza will take your effective concepts and restructure his approach when dealing with the folks at POP.
AZB yir the best.

LOL beer through the nose.......LOL......