Best Dominican Beaches

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Like many of you I am worried that the tourism and therefore the economy is declining in the DR. The Exception may be Punta Cana. I know the crime stoppers in the North Coast are making a difference but it doesn’t happen overnight, we must report all crimes to them so this is investigated and not overlooked.
I am worried like many others that our property values may seriously decrease as well unemployment could skyrocket. There are many reasons to visit the DR outside of just Punta Cana. This country has beaches that continue to be ranked as some of the best in the world on a regular basis, deservedly so!
I just created an “open public” Facebook group called “Best Dominican Beaches” (https://www.facebook.com/groups/bestdominicanbeaches/ ). There are beautiful beaches all over this island not just Punta Cana and I thought it would be nice to have a group where we could all post pictures of beautiful beaches. There are currently already 100s up there some from current members here. This is not a business group or classifieds, it’s only for pictures and comments to do with them. It’s NOT for advertising or spamming, there are other groups that work well for that. Just a scrolling page of endless DR Beach pictures.
If you so desire join and post your pictures!

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I think that little beach in Sosua, Playa sin Salida, is so nice and underrated. Be even better if you didnt have to go through Opa Locka, Miami to get to it. Will try to post a picture.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I think that little beach in Sosua, Playa sin Salida, is so nice and underrated. Be even better if you didnt have to go through Opa Locka, Miami to get to it. Will try to post a picture.

I stayed in a 2bedr airbnb condo in May at the entrance to Playa sin Salida. I agree it was quiet nice water for swimming, enclosed by cliffs. Little pizza joint and walkway park etc. Very nice, I added my pics of it on this facebook group

May 29, 2006
My favorite beach so far is Playa Caleta, which ironically has the worst sand I've seen. It's chocked through with bits of shell and other debris. A nicer beach and it would be another AI zone. But it has dozens of restaurants and bars, a steady breeze, and zero sunburned tourusts. What this means is no one is hassling me when I'm walking around aside from an occational trinket vendor and they're busy with the locals.. Pool tables and a jumbo Presidente is 125 pesos. Had fresh caught fish and the meal was under 200 pesos with sides.

May 29, 2006
I think a fun business venture would be to get a couple gallons of beach sand and seal it in little one ounce bags with the beach name on the label. Sell for ten pesos each as souvenirs all day long.. I brought back a couple sand samples last time and my friends really liked them!

dmarie

Jul 1, 2016
For those who like a very 'locals only' feel, Palmar de Ocoa (in Bani) is an awesome little beach. The water gets deep
very quickly so it's more for experiences swimmers. However, it's part of bahia ocoa so it never gets too wavy.
If you go on a weekday, you could be the only ones there and if you go on a weekend, there's a colmado to buy drinks
and rent chairs as well as people selling salchicha and fry bread. When I was living in San Jose de Ocoa,
this was my favourite place to go. (Salinas was our other option, but I prefer a beach with more shade)