Car Import

DENEEN

Feb 14, 2002
I AM INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT HOW THE LAWS ON IMPORTING A CAR TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC? MY HUSBAND IS ORIGINALLY FROM DR AND WE TRAVEL BACK TO THE COUNTY A LEAST 4 TIMES A YEAR, EACH TIME RENTING A CAR. WE HAVE JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER CAR AND WOULD LIKE TO SEND OUR OTHER ONE TO DR SO WE DONT NEED TO RENT ANYMORE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET INFORMATION ON IMPORT TAXES AND REGULATIONS

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Importing a car.

Finding out the laws regarding importing a car to the DR. is like finding a needle in a haystack. You will not find them in print. You are going to get different interpretations and many different stories. The laws and tariffs are subject to interpretation by the Customs inspectors.

I going to try to keep it simple for you based upon my humble knowledge. The car cannot be older than five years old. your husband must have owned it and have it registered in his name for at least one year where you presently reside outside the DR. Because your husband is Dominican you may get a onetime tax exemption on the import. However, If you do get a tax exemption on import you must keep the car for at least a year before you can sell it in the DR, otherwise you will be hit with the import tax. Another and less hassle free option is to sell the car where you reside and use the money to buy a car in the DR. Regards, PJT

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
PJT is right. The best option is to buy a car in the D.R. I've heard too many horror stories about arbitrary custom inspectors.

Taxes to be paid include: a) duty (20%), b) selective comsumption tax ranging from 0% (CIF value up to $10,000) to 80% (CIF value of $32,000 or more), c) ITBIS (12%) and d) "recargo cambiario" (4.5%).

Capt. Larry

Jan 1, 2002
The requirement of owning the vehicle for one year or more only applies if you are applying for an exoneration of the vehicle. If you do apply for and receive an exoneration, you can not sell the vehicle for five years, not one year.

Fabio Guzman is correct. Unless you are completely familiar with the Dominican customs departments and the port where the vehicle will enter the country--and the officials in that port, you are better off buying a vehicle here. In this case, a customs broker will only submit the papers. They will not fight the excessive, and often incorrect valuations, etc.. For example, last year, I moved back to the Dominicna Republic from Guatemala and brought my furniture and five year old (1976) van back with me. Customs initially valued the vehicle as a 2001 model and I was told that the taxes were more than the value of the vehicle in the U.S. The problem was resolved but it required multiple trips to Santo Domingo from Santiago.

T

TiberiusMineola

Sound Advice. Don't Import a Car!

I'm an American who has been living here for 5 years. I imported 1 car, a Toyota Camry, & tried to import another. don't do it! The customs brokers are not relialbe. the numbers you're given before you import the car change after the car arrives. The red tape is endless; you must pay the duty with a certified check, from a Dominican bank, or cash. Everybohdy has his hand out. Take the path of least resistance; buy a new or used car that's already in the country from a dealer or an individual. Negotiate hard. Business is terrible & there's no $ on the street. Good hunting!