Buying a car in DR

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I know there are discussions on DR1 about buying a car here. But, I can't find them. Did a search, looked for classified ads.

Someone has said they will help buy a car, I just don't remember who. (Probably for a fee : ) Who is that? I have a few questions.

I know playacaribe2 knows much about importing a car, but that is not what I am contemplating at this moment.

Thanks.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

Thanks. That is who I remembered. I tried to send him a pm, but it says he does not accept pm's.

Thanks for the links. I will check them out soon. Going to the beach now : )

We are living in La Romana right now. I have been thinking the easiest thing would be to find a car on supercarros. Preferably in Santo Domingo or closer to here. Go with someone who knows cars - do an inspection. Buy, if car is ok.

My biggest question is the prices they list on supercarros - I assume no one will pay that price - what should one subtract to offer on the car, from the listed price. 10 percent, 20 percent? It will depend of course on how long the car has been on the lot. Etc. Those are the kinds of things I would talk about with the gorgon. Or someone else.

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks. That is who I remembered. I tried to send him a pm, but it says he does not accept pm's.

Thanks for the links. I will check them out soon. Going to the beach now : )

We are living in La Romana right now. I have been thinking the easiest thing would be to find a car on supercarros. Preferably in Santo Domingo or closer to here. Go with someone who knows cars - do an inspection. Buy, if car is ok.

My biggest question is the prices they list on supercarros - I assume no one will pay that price - what should one subtract to offer on the car, from the listed price. 10 percent, 20 percent? It will depend of course on how long the car has been on the lot. Etc. Those are the kinds of things I would talk about with the gorgon. Or someone else.

Very unscientific.....but based on what I know my clients pay for cars all in and then what they ask, using supercarros, drop the high and the low for any vehicle you are interested in, then average the rest and minus 10%.

Note that you can find better deals from friends selling or from expats leaving the country.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on the north coast there are FB communities like everything sosua where one can find ads for vehicles and goods on on sale. maybe someone can advice whether there are any similar pages in la romana, SD or punta cana area.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The gorgon used to have an ad in Classifieds with his phone number, but he seems to have cancelled it.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I see with gorgon's name "sin bin" so I have to guess he has committed some sort of transgression here - and so, dv8 says he will be back soon : ) I don't know what it really means.

We will connect soon.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Very unscientific.....but based on what I know my clients pay for cars all in and then what they ask, using supercarros, drop the high and the low for any vehicle you are interested in, then average the rest and minus 10%.

Note that you can find better deals from friends selling or from expats leaving the country.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks. I bought a car in the U.S. to bring here. That way I would know exactly what I have, real miles, etc.

I had planned on taking advantage of not paying part of the import tax because I have resdencia por inversion. But, with that you cannot sell the car for five years - unless you pay the tax first. So, I think now I don't want to be in that position. Plus, there is the headache of getting it through customs, etc.

The prevailing advice seems to be buy here - at inflated price.

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks. I bought a car in the U.S. to bring here. That way I would know exactly what I have, real miles, etc.

I had planned on taking advantage of not paying part of the import tax because I have resdencia por inversion. But, with that you cannot sell the car for five years - unless you pay the tax first. So, I think now I don't want to be in that position. Plus, there is the headache of getting it through customs, etc.

The prevailing advice seems to be buy here - at inflated price.

I always ship....and I always complain about the flawed system.....but I always get the vehicle I know in/out. It constitutes peace of mind for me.

Be aware, that if you use residency, you only have a brief window to import your belongings (car included) at a greatly reduced duty. And while I am not sure about having to hold the car for five years before being allowed to sell it if you bring it under a residency scheme....there is a waiting period....perhaps 2 or three years.

To me the headache would be buying it here....unless I bought it from one of my dealer clients here.....and they may not necessarily have what I want.

Again, good luck in your search.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I always ship....and I always complain about the flawed system.....but I always get the vehicle I know in/out. It constitutes peace of mind for me.

Be aware, that if you use residency, you only have a brief window to import your belongings (car included) at a greatly reduced duty. And while I am not sure about having to hold the car for five years before being allowed to sell it if you bring it under a residency scheme....there is a waiting period....perhaps 2 or three years.

To me the headache would be buying it here....unless I bought it from one of my dealer clients here.....and they may not necessarily have what I want.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I can't speak about bringing it in as a new resident, but when we brought ours in [as a returning Dominican], we were given a 3 year 'unable to sell' right on our matricula.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

"Dealer client?" I will pm you when I am ready. I am still putting the puzzle together. We are changing houses, maybe. And, the kind of car to buy will depend on whether it is just to drive to the beach and store or on the autopista.

Thanks for the comments. I get what you are saying about being sure what you get. I bought the perfect car for here - for me - in Florida. After that, I think a private person (f you are not a dealer) has to own the car for one year before allowed to import it. So, I have owned that car for more than a year now.

Jan 9, 2004
"Dealer client?" I will pm you when I am ready. I am still putting the puzzle together. We are changing houses, maybe. And, the kind of car to buy will depend on whether it is just to drive to the beach and store or on the autopista.

Thanks for the comments. I get what you are saying about being sure what you get. I bought the perfect car for here - for me - in Florida. After that, I think a private person (f you are not a dealer) has to own the car for one year before allowed to import it. So, I have owned that car for more than a year now.

There is no time restriction to own before importing a car......unless you you are bringing it in under a reduced tax regimen, i.e. residency, returning Dominican.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
There is no time restriction to own before importing a car......unless you you are bringing it in under a reduced tax regimen, i.e. residency, returning Dominican.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yes, that is probably it. I read the whole list of rules for the residency scheme and that, now that I think about it, is where I saw it. I probably saved it somewhere, but since I don't think that is what I will do now, I have not looked again.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
And, look here - at the top of the page now is an ad - sanctioned I'm sure. For this site. I will check it out.

https://www.auctionexport.com/espanol?gclid=CLOV6pOSks4CFYpbhgod_BQItA

Bad start - it starts the search with a choice of from what year - with 1901. And, I can't get it to go more new than 1999.

Even worse: in terms of title, I looked at a group of maybe seven vehicles and three said "Title Type: Salvage Insurance"

I does appear to be an actual auction. I just saw the "ship to Latin America" part which looked good.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

I second Gorgon he is awesome great guy !! Helped me procure jeep in Santiago 3 weeks ago Great experience and was great day ! My wife actually just picked up paperwork today via caribe ...Gorgon is a true gentlemen if you need help he is your man..